Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:53:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are 1070 TI's the next best GPU for mining? 4.7 sols per watt  (Read 9226 times)
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 12:27:58 PM

Not sure if I've posted in this thread... but I've bought almost all of my 1070 Ti cards from here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

If you watch daily and check the limits you can often find cards without QTY limits (or a fairly high limit)... I've snagged a few batches of 9 cards at once.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369521-REG/zotac_zt_p10710c_10p_geforce_gtx_1070_ti.html

For example... limit of 11 pcs on this card right now.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 02:09:12 PM

I have to pickup my MSI Gaming X 1070 Ti from the post office tomorrow. What a waste to have it there one night in the box haha
I was quite impressed by the results people posted here - will report back tomorrow!

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:34:04 PM

Not sure if I've posted in this thread... but I've bought almost all of my 1070 Ti cards from here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

If you watch daily and check the limits you can often find cards without QTY limits (or a fairly high limit)... I've snagged a few batches of 9 cards at once.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369521-REG/zotac_zt_p10710c_10p_geforce_gtx_1070_ti.html

For example... limit of 11 pcs on this card right now.

I've ordered things from B&H before.  Good US based company.  No sales tax for me.  Wish my six Vega 56's that have been on backorder since Nov 29th would ship.  Ordered a few EVGA SC 1070ti's from Amazon and a few from B&H today.  None of them are in stock though.  Who knows how long of a wait it will be for those.  I only have one six gpu vega 56 rig running right now ... Need more rigs!

Thanks for all of your videos Vosk!  You've been a big help over the past couple of months.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:00:51 PM

B&H Photo has been around for decades - I think I've bought electronics from them WAY back in the day.

I keep forgetting they added computer hardware to their selection.

Do they take Bitcoin?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gotminer

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:15:02 PM

B&H Photo has been around for decades - I think I've bought electronics from them WAY back in the day.

I keep forgetting they added computer hardware to their selection.

Do they take Bitcoin?

I don't think they do.  I haven't noticed it as a payment option anywhere on their site.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 09:24:54 AM

I have to pickup my MSI Gaming X 1070 Ti from the post office tomorrow. What a waste to have it there one night in the box haha
I was quite impressed by the results people posted here - will report back tomorrow!

Just plugged it in and had some issues at the start. The MSI Gaming X 1070 Ti is only recognised if you add the 8+6 PIN power connectors (opposed to the GB Gaming G1 Version).

Just ran some quick tests on Nist5 Algorithm and it hashed 2 MH/s more than the GB version with the same core clock and both cards pulling around 135W. So yes - not disappointed with it and keeping in mind that the fans on the MSI should last much longer I will only go for these cards in the future.

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:15:57 PM

Good to know.  I have some EVGA FTW2 1070ti's coming on Friday ... (Hopefully) ... They are supposed to ship today.  I had some ZOTAC's on backorder and ended up cancelling those.  This will be my first NVIDIA rig build.

VoskCoin (OP)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 01:08:57 PM

Good to know.  I have some EVGA FTW2 1070ti's coming on Friday ... (Hopefully) ... They are supposed to ship today.  I had some ZOTAC's on backorder and ended up cancelling those.  This will be my first NVIDIA rig build.
hopefully they rock! Our FTW2s have been our best 1070 TI, much better than the recent zotac 1070 TI mini's -- the ftw2 hashing 30-35 sols more w/ the same settings. The original zotac 1070 TI bought for testing performed well too though . . i sold that one xD

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 01:09:37 PM

how is it performing?

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 01:13:09 PM

Anyone managed to take the settings further with even better results / esp on linux?

Probably card dependent, and seems to at least in part be mining software dependent.

It DOES look like the best efficiency point on EBWF is at 104 watts not 106, but it's so close it could be an artifact of measurement limits.

I tried pushing core and memory harder on one of my EVGA SC cards, but stability went bad very quickly above the +200 core and +700 memory settings (which was an unreported part of my original testing).
 That however might vary with the specific card and probably with the model of GPU.

I'm not waiting, as I'm not convinced that the Volta versions of the 10xx series cards will be a LOT more efficient.
 10% probably, 20% maybe, 30% I'd bet against - we're still on the same process node, just "process improvements" and perhaps some additional minor optimisations to the designs are all we're likely to see - think of "RX 4xx vs RX 5xx" level changes being the most likely.

Hint - "12nm" isn't a new node, it's enhancements to a current 16nm node process with a "new name" as strictly an ADVERTISING point.

Samsung does seem to have some VERY small quantity of production happening on 10nm - but strictly for low-power devices like their smartphones at this point, and they're eating ALL of the output so far.
 Intel is supposed to FINALLY be shipping their first 10nm products next year - but the date keeps slipping.....

Manufacturing efficiency for both is probably going to be VERY poor on anything they manage to ship at 10nm next year - it takes TIME to dial a new process in, and it seems to take longer every time a legitimate "shrink" happens TO get the new process dialed in.

hmmm my results are a little better on DSTM vs EWBF

https://youtu.be/oPX864SOUPE

I messed around with my latest zotac 1070 ti mini's for awhile and I never really got them above 4.3 sols/watt -- im no OC guru though / I'm at
175 core 700 memory and 110 watts on DSTM

Like your input and mindset here + by the time the new cards roll out I imagine everyone buying now could have made their money back lol so why wait Cheesy

FloridaCoin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 04:53:14 PM

hmmm my results are a little better on DSTM vs EWBF

https://youtu.be/oPX864SOUPE
https://i.imgur.com/Q5H0rFkm.png

I messed around with my latest zotac 1070 ti mini's for awhile and I never really got them above 4.3 sols/watt -- im no OC guru though / I'm at
175 core 700 memory and 110 watts on DSTM

Like your input and mindset here + by the time the new cards roll out I imagine everyone buying now could have made their money back lol so why wait Cheesy

I am getting about the same sol/watt as Vosk on all of my Zotac 1070ti AMP editions running DSTM (+200 core / +700 mem / 115w)(Micron memory). They have been running stable since I put this rig together. I have one more open slot on this rig I am debating on trying an EVGA card this time.
gotminer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 06:29:53 PM

Good to know.  I have some EVGA FTW2 1070ti's coming on Friday ... (Hopefully) ... They are supposed to ship today.  I had some ZOTAC's on backorder and ended up cancelling those.  This will be my first NVIDIA rig build.
hopefully they rock! Our FTW2s have been our best 1070 TI, much better than the recent zotac 1070 TI mini's -- the ftw2 hashing 30-35 sols more w/ the same settings. The original zotac 1070 TI bought for testing performed well too though . . i sold that one xD

Hey Vosk,

I have my power down to 160W per card.  That's total power at the wall 960W divided by 6.  Power limit is set at 70%.  Core clock +200 and memory clock +700 on these FTW2's.  Averaging 525 sol/s per card.  When power was at 180W (80% limit in afterburner), I was getting a few more sol/s on each card.  I've never overclocked a gpu in my life, so this is making me slightly nervous ... Lol.  I'm not sure if I should keep going or not.  What do you have your FTW2's at?

Another question ... 3 of my FTW2's only have one fan running and I'm not sure why.  Any ideas?  I have my fan speed set to 80% in afterburner.  It's the back fan that's not running on all 3.

And there's more ...

I just set my fan speed to auto, and then back to 80% ... Now the only card with the back fan not running is the card on the end of my open air frame.  60 seconds later ... I have 3 back fans not running, but they aren't the same 3 cards as the first time.  Lol ... This is weird.  Do they not run constantly?  They'll just turn on when a certain temp is hit?

East113

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 07:25:35 PM

Good to know.  I have some EVGA FTW2 1070ti's coming on Friday ... (Hopefully) ... They are supposed to ship today.  I had some ZOTAC's on backorder and ended up cancelling those.  This will be my first NVIDIA rig build.

Hey Vosk,

I have my power down to 160W per card.  That's total power at the wall 960W divided by 6.  Power limit is set at 70%.  Core clock +200 and memory clock +700 on these FTW2's.  Averaging 525 sol/s per card.  When power was at 180W (80% limit in afterburner), I was getting a few more sol/s on each card.  I've never overclocked a gpu in my life, so this is making me slightly nervous ... Lol.  I'm not sure if I should keep going or not.  What do you have your FTW2's at?

Another question ... 3 of my FTW2's only have one fan running and I'm not sure why.  Any ideas?  I have my fan speed set to 80% in afterburner.  It's the back fan that's not running on all 3.

And there's more ...

I just set my fan speed to auto, and then back to 80% ... Now the only card with the back fan not running is the card on the end of my open air frame.  60 seconds later ... I have 3 back fans not running, but they aren't the same 3 cards as the first time.  Lol ... This is weird.  Do they not run constantly?  They'll just turn on when a certain temp is hit?

My FTW2 Hold about 500-505 Sol's each at +200 core and +750 mem. Watts are 110 per card, fan set minimum 50%, and target temp of 70C. They stay around 60-65C.

Also, I'm pretty sure only one fan will run if temp is not high enough to justify both running. Right now my three are siting at 59C 62C and 60C, only one has the second fan running. My guess is that it's the one at 62C. And as I type this my middle ones second fan kicked on. So don't worry about the fan not working if you have one working.

EDIT: I would try to get down to a lower watt setting. While an extra 25 Sol/s per card seems nice, it's only netting about .10 more a day after power consumption, .25 before.
gotminer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 07:42:56 PM

Hey Vosk,

And there's more ...

I just set my fan speed to auto, and then back to 80% ... Now the only card with the back fan not running is the card on the end of my open air frame.  60 seconds later ... I have 3 back fans not running, but they aren't the same 3 cards as the first time.  Lol ... This is weird.  Do they not run constantly?  They'll just turn on when a certain temp is hit?

My FTW2 Hold about 500-505 Sol's each at +200 core and +750 mem. Watts are 110 per card, fan set minimum 50%, and target temp of 70C. They stay around 60-65C.

Also, I'm pretty sure only one fan will run if temp is not high enough to justify both running. Right now my three are siting at 59C 62C and 60C, only one has the second fan running. My guess is that it's the one at 62C. And as I type this my middle ones second fan kicked on. So don't worry about the fan not working if you have one working.

EDIT: I would try to get down to a lower watt setting. While an extra 25 Sol/s per card seems nice, it's only netting about .10 more a day after power consumption, .25 before.

When you're calculating 110w per card, is that with everything else factored in and measuring power consumption at the wall?

gotminer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 07:47:21 PM

It's looking like in order to keep myself right at 500 sol/s, I'm using 135W per card at the wall.  That's with +200 core clock and +750 memory clock.  I cut the fans back to 50%.  All my temps are still below 60c.

This thing is a hell of a lot quieter and cooler than my vega rig mining etn.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:17:12 PM

Am I missing something here? I'm checking profit calculations on whattomine.com and the ROI for the 1070ti is somewhere over 6 months even if I set the hash to 500 sol at 110 watts, while rx580 ROI in little over 4 months.

You missed ZEC almost tripling in price over the 2-3 weeks after your post.

8-P

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:27:45 PM

Also possible - 490sols @ 95W / 4.95sol per W  Wink

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ewf8d1.jpg
'
 69% power limit set in Afterburner is 124 watts - something funky going on there.

Probably the same sort of thing I've seen on "short efficiency spikes" in EBWF where it will report one card at way low power draw but normal hashrate - momentary down spike on power JUST as EBWF looked at it.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:35:41 PM

When you're calculating 110w per card, is that with everything else factored in and measuring power consumption at the wall?

110 watts as set as the power limit under Linux using Nvidia-settings, or reported by nvidia-smi in either Linux or Windows (or calculated from the %TDP setting in something like Afterburner).

At the wall will vary more due to power supply efficiency curves.

pratapadityasi

Activity: 46

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:37:38 PM

Nice project! Good choices
gotminer

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 09:55:34 PM

110 watts as set as the power limit under Linux using Nvidia-settings, or reported by nvidia-smi in either Linux or Windows (or calculated from the %TDP setting in something like Afterburner).

At the wall will vary more due to power supply efficiency curves.

Oh well in that case, I guess I'm way lower than I think.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: