Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:54:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is DGC suffering a 51% attack? What happens?  (Read 987 times)
Jkljkl (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:34:07 AM

I was mining DGC but started noticing some of my mined coins turning from confirmed to "?".  Also, I've sent some coins to another address which aren't coming through.  I read that baritus has openly challenged the community to attack the coin, so is it really happening now?  How can I tell?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:43:04 AM

Doesn't look like it's being attacked.
http://www.coinchoose.com/ shows network hashrate and average over the last 24 hours. It was just over 700 MH/s a few hours ago, right now hovering just under that. If you see a big spike in that hashrate, it's either because it's being attacked or just suddenly popular (which will happen if/when profitability gets high).

As far as transactions changing, it might be an issue of the blockchain that rarely happens. If you close the client and restart it and they're back, it was just some odd peer syncing issue. If not... well, you're screwed out of whatever coins.
shaunb

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:48:42 AM

Actually, a 51% attack will generally not cause a spike in the hash rate.  The attacker is mining on his own network and if he's smart, will broadcast his longer chain when he is ahead by only a block or two.

Ok, so it will cause a 1% spike in hash rate...good luck noticing that.
mm8000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:49:14 AM

Networks fine. Just tested it on dgcdice.com  Smiley
shaunb

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:56:17 AM

I'm not sure you know how a 51% attack works.  The network doesn't just die.  In fact, it is highly unlikely that anyone will even notice a 51% attack has occurred until the attacker decides to sell millions of non-existent coins on an exchange.

This was clearly demonstrated with Powercoin.
mm8000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:02:58 AM

I'm not sure you know how a 51% attack works.  The network doesn't just die.  In fact, it is highly unlikely that anyone will even notice a 51% attack has occurred until the attacker decides to sell millions of non-existent coins on an exchange.

My answer was in response to network issues. He said coins were going ? and not coming through.
shaunb

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:10:26 AM

If OP received coins during a 51% attack, they can be reflected in his wallet - but the coins don't actually exist.  So when he tries to send them, they will never confirm.

OP:  Yes, those are symptoms of a 51% attack.  Should probably wait for word on this from the exchanges trading this coin before investing further into it.
Boxman90

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:15:43 AM

I'm not sure you know how a 51% attack works.  The network doesn't just die.  In fact, it is highly unlikely that anyone will even notice a 51% attack has occurred until the attacker decides to sell millions of non-existent coins on an exchange.

Afaik, you can't make coins out of thin air with a 51% attack :/ You can only double-spend your own coins.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
shaunb

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:27:34 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 12:07:37 PM by shaunb

Yes, and reverse all transactions that took place during the 51% attack.

The attacker sends coins to an exchange, waits for 6 confirmations, then reverses the transaction.  The coins are now back in the attackers wallet but reflected in the attackers account on the exchange as well because of the way they are set up.

Now he has those coins in his wallet AND on the exchange.  He can keep repeating this until he has accrued millions of coins on the exchange, then sell the coin down to 0.00000.
jasonslow

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:29:02 AM

This is basically the what I observed during powercoin attack. The confirmed transactions become uncomfirmed. If you are mining you barely pound a block even though you ought to received hundreds of blocks before the attack. And last the most damaging symptoms. Dumping of coins like the coins has no price. I also observed the network hash barely changed at that time.
nearmiss

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:34:20 PM

seems likely that pools going down would be a first visible symptom? Nothing on that front.

Profit-Switching Pool w/ Vardiff -> http://hashco.ws  Optionally keep the alts we mine or auto-trade for BTC. In addition can be paid out in any of: 365, AC, BC,  BTC, C2, CINNI, COMM, FAC, HBN, MINT, PMC, QRK, RDD, WC, XBC
AquaMan

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:36:37 PM

Suffer, DGC suffered a long time ago, its already dead, people just think they can mine it and itll magically be valuable or something...
bonsai99

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:42:53 PM

Suffer, DGC suffered a long time ago, its already dead, people just think they can mine it and itll magically be valuable or something...
DGC is nowhere near dead, it is probably one of the best altcoins around and and has nearly 700MH/s on it constantly.
thep33t

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:48:36 PM

DGC is nowhere near dead, it is probably one of the best altcoins around and and has nearly 700MH/s on it constantly.

When I wish upon a star...

Feathercoin Pool - http://feathercoin.is-a-geek.com - [PPLNS][0% Fees]
FTC: 6sf5CgurY5axcd2cwDHmiwdVMdAF9fw6pU       BTC: 1J74TaaKuNMoy25TP5vXKG2Jw8yg1sqyyQ       BTE: 8QZ2XiantPF8eWmzayo5WaXyYC8unBq5ZC     LTC: LatpwWc4GQyF2teKegZHiDGEGdNEKqEPTT
r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:24:36 PM

Yep its only just started. People who are writing it off will be sorry in a few months.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██