Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:18:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4748 times)
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:59:23 AM

>>>Mind you it is set between a 60gb sad which is at 30 gb and an old-school 160gb hdd set at 30 gb <<<

Think I just found your problem.

Can you not split virtual memory?  If that's the case woukd it be better to switch everything to the 150gb even though it's an old one?

I would try switching over all virtual memory to the 150GB drive.  I think splitting VM is causing your errors.  But try it and see.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:00:47 AM

First go setting it up.

Hashing XMR on three vegas at 5982 with one PSU (with 2 vegas) at 380W. Which seems really low (The watts, not the hashrate).

I'm going to add the fourth one on shortly. But pretty happy with the initial results.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:43:57 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2017, 08:30:50 AM by ben8jam

I just started and following the blogspot walkthrough. Just did the software reg edit.

About to install the XMR miner Stak - any reason to use another?

Only have 3 of four cards setup right now - I somehow just realized I have a fourth I need to add in. Nerves!! Lol

You should be fine.  If you get the three stable, add in the fourth.  Visit the Imgur link first and glance at that.

After I connected it nothing would recognize it. Reinstalled the AMD drivers over top of existing and that seems to have fixed it. Hashing at 7800 at ~750W total. Ordered two more VEGAs!
boggle

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:45:03 PM

ordered myself a asrock h110 pro btc+ motherboard..

question is how many Vegas will run stable?
rippermantwo

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:32:53 PM

It seems to be risers that were making things difficult. I was about to order some new ones and then I remembered someone saying they just switched them around and got them working. Here's what I did:

1. clean install of windows in UFEI bios mode with all 6-cards plugged in
2. updated windows and all components including gpu drivers
3. paused windows update
4. used amd cleanup utility
5. used DD clean in safe mode
6. installed blockchain driver one card at a time in 16xpcie slot (two restarts per card)
   a. if a card did not behave, this is where I tried another pcie riser until the card worked.
   b. i then used what i thought was a faulty riser board with another card and all worked just fine (can't make heads or tails of this, but it is what it is)
7. I then plugged in each card, let it install and rebooted a couple of times.
   a. this worked up to five cards. when installing the 6th and final card i get the BSOD.

It was stable running Cast-xmr and xmr-cpu, both overclocked and undervolted overnight. I shut it down this morning to work on card six.

Geez... is everyone having to go through these same hoops? I'm just about to install windows. Was going to do as much as I could with the VEGAs not connected (in the comfort of my living room) but if I need to install with all four vegas connected, I need to up and move to the garage...

There isn't any need for pain.

Here is a very decent overview guide, but it is tailored towards XMR-STAK.  With minimal tweaks to the "StartMining" .bat file, you can get the same automated setup to run with Cast.

https://vegamining.blogspot.co.uk/

And here are some screen shots I took which may or may not help your setup: 

https://imgur.com/a/fuXns

One of my Vega rigs is on a MSI X370 and I am simultaneously mining away with the Ryzen cpu using XMR-STAK-cpu.  The other build is Intel using an older MSI Z97a board that I had.

Both are very stable at this point.

My experience:  install all the Vega cards at once before installing the driver.

Go online to Microsoft and download the Fall Creators Update, which is free.  I was stuck at 3 cards until I did this update.  Working well for me, YMMV.

Do set a very large System page file.

Hi R0mi, thanks for linking the page. I've gone through the page and can still only get five out of the six Vega 64s working. Same situation, I get five running and when I try to add the sixth I get the BSOD. Ideas? Windows 10 updated. Ideas?
ben8jam

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:26:18 PM

ordered myself a asrock h110 pro btc+ motherboard..

question is how many Vegas will run stable?

I've got four on there right now - no issues. Ordered another 2 vegas last night so we'll see if I can get 6 running, seems the more you add the more issues people have.

Be aware this board requires three additional power connectors. 2 molex and 1 sata and supposedly three different cables. Though, from what I've read you can skip the extra sata, and use one molex to power both additional molex's on the board. That kinda caught me off guard.
boggle

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:17:46 PM

Hi R0mi, thanks for linking the page. I've gone through the page and can still only get five out of the six Vega 64s working. Same situation, I get five running and when I try to add the sixth I get the BSOD. Ideas? Windows 10 updated. Ideas?

i wasted 4 hours to this yesterday

on a z170 msi carbon gaming, i can only get 5 vegas running then i add a 6th and BSOD.. BUT i can get 6 running vegas running with a rx480 in slot 1..

I've got four on there right now - no issues. Ordered another 2 vegas last night so we'll see if I can get 6 running, seems the more you add the more issues people have.

Be aware this board requires three additional power connectors. 2 molex and 1 sata and supposedly three different cables. Though, from what I've read you can skip the extra sata, and use one molex to power both additional molex's on the board. That kinda caught me off guard.

this worries me, keep us posted
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:50:52 PM

First go setting it up.

Hashing XMR on three vegas at 5982 with one PSU (with 2 vegas) at 380W. Which seems really low (The watts, not the hashrate).

I'm going to add the fourth one on shortly. But pretty happy with the initial results.

What settings are you using?  I have 4 going now at 5700 h/s pulling 1070w at the wall.  I haven't messed with softpowerplay yet so I am wondering if that is what will make the difference for me.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:52:34 PM

on a z170 msi carbon gaming, i can only get 5 vegas running then i add a 6th and BSOD.. BUT i can get 6 running vegas running with a rx480 in slot 1..

I can get it to recognize all 6 vegas.  However, it gives me error 12 on one of them and I cannot determine why the 5th doesn't run.  It's very frustrating.  I followed the guide but I am only pulling about 1450 h/s right now on each card.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:35:51 PM

First go setting it up.

What settings are you using?  I have 4 going now at 5700 h/s pulling 1070w at the wall.  I haven't messed with softpowerplay yet so I am wondering if that is what will make the difference for me.

I think you have to do the softpowerplay reg mods- i haven't done any bios flashes. Did you use overdrive to adjust clocks and volts and fan speed? So far four vega has been good to go - each 750W (2 vega on each) is only pulling 350-380W, so about 750W total for 4 vega at 7900mhs.

I ordered 2 more vega, so will see if i can get 6 going at once, though I will also need another psu...
R0mi

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 12:30:10 AM

I can get it to recognize all 6 vegas.  However, it gives me error 12 on one of them and I cannot determine why the 5th doesn't run.  It's very frustrating.  I followed the guide but I am only pulling about 1450 h/s right now on each card.

redNow suggest 16GB per Vega in your System's Page file.  Have you tried that?  What is your page file size?

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 01:04:12 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2017, 01:29:01 AM by Tao1123

I loaded the Regedit changes into the machine and now it wont mine.  I'm going to switch to my h110 BTC+ motherboard and start all over.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 01:30:55 AM

Ive got 4 back online but stuck at 1150 hash at 780w.  I'll have to mess with it more tomorrow.  Making my head hurt lol
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:09:09 AM

I can get it to recognize all 6 vegas.  However, it gives me error 12 on one of them and I cannot determine why the 5th doesn't run.  It's very frustrating.  I followed the guide but I am only pulling about 1450 h/s right now on each card.

redNow suggest 16GB per Vega in your System's Page file.  Have you tried that?  What is your page file size?

Im running 120 gb virtual memory.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:35:55 AM

Messed with it a bit more got to 4 cards running at 1400 hash 720w at the wall.  I haven't been able to break 1450 per card yet...
R0mi

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:01:43 AM

I loaded the Regedit changes into the machine and now it wont mine.  I'm going to switch to my h110 BTC+ motherboard and start all over.

Which Regedit changes?  If you are loading softpowerplay Reg mods that expect a Vega 64, and you have a Vega 56 and you have not flashed it with a Vega 64 equivalent, that would cause problems.

Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:35:53 AM

Which Regedit changes?  If you are loading softpowerplay Reg mods that expect a Vega 64, and you have a Vega 56 and you have not flashed it with a Vega 64 equivalent, that would cause problems.

Earlier I had asked if my are not flashed if the softpowerplay would work on the vega 56 and you said it would.  I do not see any softpowerplay specific to nonflashed vega 56.  Unless I am missing something.
R0mi

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:46:49 AM

Which Regedit changes?  If you are loading softpowerplay Reg mods that expect a Vega 64, and you have a Vega 56 and you have not flashed it with a Vega 64 equivalent, that would cause problems.

Earlier I had asked if my are not flashed if the softpowerplay would work on the vega 56 and you said it would.  I do not see any softpowerplay specific to nonflashed vega 56.  Unless I am missing something.

Try this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2002025.msg22334966#msg22334966

And if you don't want to try that, or have issues with the site, then:

It is easy to flash Vega 56 with the equivalent Vega 64 bios and you can and should save your original Vega 56 bios with ATIflash 2.77 available at Techpowerup downloads.  If you do that and restart, whatever Vega 64 softpowerplay mods you have found are more likely to work.

Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 05:06:23 AM

Which Regedit changes?  If you are loading softpowerplay Reg mods that expect a Vega 64, and you have a Vega 56 and you have not flashed it with a Vega 64 equivalent, that would cause problems.

Earlier I had asked if my are not flashed if the softpowerplay would work on the vega 56 and you said it would.  I do not see any softpowerplay specific to nonflashed vega 56.  Unless I am missing something.

Try this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2002025.msg22334966#msg22334966

It is easy to flash Vega 56 with the equivalent Vega 64 bios and you can and should save your original Vega 56 bios with ATIflash 2.77 available at Techpowerup downloads.  If you do that and restart, whatever Vega 64 softpowerplay mods you have found are more likely to work.

Sorry for all the newb questions.  I feel dumb trying to set this up.  Its better to flash the cards for hashes and power but I'm nervous lol
R0mi

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 05:08:16 AM

Sorry for all the newb questions.  I feel dumb trying to set this up.  Its better to flash the cards for hashes and power but I'm nervous lol

it's okay.  If you are going to change the bios, always, always start by saving your current stock Vega 56 bios and ATIFlash makes that very easy to do.  Do NOT use GPU-Z to save your bios; use ATIFlash.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: