Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:25:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin does not have limited supply  (Read 3244 times)
rumexx

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 10:36:32 AM

Bitcoin actually has a fixed volume of 21 Million and about 16 Million in circulation. When bitcoin is forked a different altcoin will be birthed and this will never increase the volume of Bitcoin beyond the 21Million as stated above. There have been so many forks since last year on bitcoin blocks where new altcoins like BCH and BTG were created.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 12:29:16 PM

The argument is again and again that the value of Bitcoin will increase because supply is limited to 21 million. But this is quite simply wrong. Every time Bitcoin is forked that is in real terms an expansion of the Bitcoin currency beyond 21 million. To some degree the same is true of alternative crypto currencies which will flood the market. There is already more than 1000 cryptocurrencues ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptocurrencies )
Before investing in bitcoin, i think you should learn about it first. Bitcoin's limited supply is 21million.
I am not sure you yourself understand the problem discussed in this thread here. The discussion is not about bitcoin limited supply (very strictly understood), but rather as you can read in the statement quoted in your own post, "to some degree" about supply of all coins that are derived from bitcoin.
semes

Activity: 713
Merit: 31

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 01:12:17 PM

The argument is again and again that the value of Bitcoin will increase because supply is limited to 21 million. But this is quite simply wrong. Every time Bitcoin is forked that is in real terms an expansion of the Bitcoin currency beyond 21 million. To some degree the same is true of alternative crypto currencies which will flood the market. There is already more than 1000 cryptocurrencues ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptocurrencies )

I think it is more limited how we are think. I think there are no 21 millions BTC on the market. At least %20 may be loose already. Est. 17 million BTC in the market for today. But somehow, someone has already lose their key or they've dead (sadly) and no one knows their private key. For example, my friends has lost his private key and he can't reach his wallet (0.5 BTC)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2018, 01:54:02 PM

I haven't read all of this thread, but has anyone mentioned that ETFs will be creating "virtual" Bitcoin. What a concept- a vitual negotiable instrument based on a virtual currency. This has been done with gold, and it has been used to manipulate the price of gold, thus allowing some investors to accumulate real gold at bellow its true market value. Some say there is 100x as much paper gold as there is real gold in existence.

I don't think of the aforementioned alts as an increase in the quantity of Bitcoin. In fact I don't even think of it as a fork, but as a replicated parallel chain that diverges at a specified height. Following divergence, it needs to survive as a completely independent entity.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
biskitop

Activity: 686
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 01:58:24 PM

Bitcoin is currently not reaching limited supply. we will see the truth when bitcoin reaches limited one day, whether bitcoin ends or even more supply.
sunriseme

Activity: 29
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 03:25:21 PM

I see Bitcoin like our Universe: it is finite, very precious, vast, expensive to explore and almost impossible to understand.
From a lack of understanding our own Universe, the Multiverse theory has appeared, an endless repetition of the Universe.
The same happens with Bitcoin, it's being repeated over and over again - multiple alts based on same blockchain originally used for Bitcoin.
Repetition is a way of masking our understanding of how Bitcoin was issued (like with the Multiverse theory). But in fact, Bitcoin is unique, singular and very precious, like our own Universe, just needs to be explored more.

sierraolson

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 09:14:18 PM

Wouldn't it be technically regulated in the sense of supply and demand? In the same way current currency has a certain amount of supply to reduce the effects of inflation and such?
Naughty Princess

Activity: 952
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 03:27:53 AM

Bitcoin is currently not reaching limited supply. we will see the truth when bitcoin reaches limited one day, whether bitcoin ends or even more supply.
I see the stability in price for now and it seems that the supply is not lessen but get stable volume also in the market. I am still waiting to see that it is going to limited in the market which make the value more volatile again. I keep hoping that it won't end like this but more investors must come and buy more volume which can help to change the market supply.

coldplay3r30

Activity: 75

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 03:50:50 AM

I think you do not understand how it works. Hardfork does not alter the maximum supply of bitcoin, it just creates an altcoin based on the current blockchain. But bitcoin will still have 21M maximum supply. If ever the hardforked coin survives, it is just an altcoin and will compete with bitcoin on the market.
bitcoin is indeed made by the creator of satoshi nakamoto for only 21M, but the value of bitcoin will still be this altcoin reference so that the value of bitcoin will forever be higher than altcoin, maybe bitcoin in the future can be like diamond because the number is very limited and everyone wants to have it,
Bonsaiav

Activity: 602
Merit: 118

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 04:07:34 AM

It seems that you have an assumption like this, for example Bitcoin is the first bitcoin, Litecoin is the second bitcoin, Namecoin is the third bitcoin and so on blah blah blah. Very reasonable indeed if someone has such an opinion, because maybe you also think, that Alt-Coin was created to extend the age of bitcoin or to slow down the supply of bitcoin from running out. It seems that this is a narrow mind that means not having a firm stance. I think even though Satoshi Nakamoto will create more new coins, but the power of crypto market law will still apply because the core strength of each cryptocurrency will remain with its users.

C-Geezy

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 05:18:04 AM

OP is right and it seems a lot of people have missed his point.

It is true that bitcoin has a limited 21 million supply. However, this is not what OP is arguing and the confusing title may have mislead a lot of you. Allow me to clear it up:

Bitcoin cash and the altcoins all perform the same function as bitcoin. There is no difference between them other than perhaps some may or may not perform the desired function as well as other coins. The only other difference is the name. Given the fact that the exact same thing that performs the exact same function can be created out of thin air means that the supply of "things that can perform this function" is not limited. You can call it whatever you want and you can keep repeating that "X crypto currency only has Y supply!!" but this does not change the fact that a new crypto currency that can do the exact same thing as X crypto currency can be created and called something different. Sorry to break the news!

If there is some silver lining, owning these coins do have real value because people have put their faith in it. And the more people who use it/put their faith in it then the more valuable it is. It is like myspace and facebook. Myspace was fantastic and served the exact same function as facebook but unfortunately for them everyone put their faith in facebook which meant the value of myspace went to zero. I guess if you want to make money just know where the herd is going to put their faith or heavily promote the coins you are invested in so other people can also buy it and push the price up.

Good luck!
Rashid555

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 05:47:39 AM

Bitcoin is enough in these days it's demand and it;s supply both are due to the sale purchase of coins and bitcoin have a good reserve for the coming bull those who have have coins in these days they are very useful and its holding is good foe making money in future now it's holding in these days are important do not sell your coins now.

Screamshot

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

FUTURE OF SECURITY TOKENS

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 06:46:17 AM

Well from research I think the maximum amount of bitcoin available is 21million and miners are the one that mine bitcoin by solving mathematical puzzle. So predictions has already been made as to when the whole bitcoin would be mined

[ M O B U ] The Investment Bank of the Future
The Security Token Protocol and Licensed Security Token Exchange
https://mobu.io/
JimmieA

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 08:20:27 AM

Why is the foking affecting the btc supply? The number of btc issued in the market has been fixed from the beginning, and initially it was distributed free of charge, so in the exchange market, it was trading at a loss of 21 million btc. so btc exceeds 21M seems impossible, even if there are 100 or 1000 altcoins. btc is only held in different places but can not be lost or increased.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

Rolley Dragon

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 08:25:36 AM

I'm so curious about what will happen if bitcoin reach its limited supply. what do you think?
cc80aa

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 09:43:15 AM

Maybe will not affect the system, if miner finish mine bitcoin on 2021 approx., miner is part of the blockchain to process , payment and other processes.
Chris772

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 10:25:41 AM

1000 cryptocurencie ? Yes but not all are made for the same use
kucritt

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 01:17:35 PM

forking is makes other cryptocurrency, and the supply of bitcoin still 21 Million, but in other result of forking the supply is 21 Million too, so if bitcoin forking twice its mean there are 42 Million for 2 curerncy

erikoy

Activity: 686
Merit: 125

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 01:53:11 PM

Well it was just only being forked and the supply for bitcoin will not go high. The supply is still limited but the only thing that matter is the market price. The higher the demand for bitcoin the expensive its market price will be. Bitcoin fork does not mean that the bitcoin supply has added instead it was just part of bitcoin. Bitcoin fork will just let the bitcoin market price goes higher.
tramadols

Activity: 239

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
November 10, 2018, 02:02:48 PM

yes that's just your assumption, this is the technology with the findings of new findings such as the discovery of hard forks is a gift for us to make a profit

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: