Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:40:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why restrict newbs?  (Read 2143 times)
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:03:30 PM

Useless countermeasure.
With such easy captha protection spammers can easily create thousands of accounts, if they want.

cool! then do it! Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

I enjoy my newbie sub-forum enslavement. I have a collar and these shiney shackles to prove it ^_^

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
alwi (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:17:04 PM

1. Spam.
2. Discourage the same question being asked over and over.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??
6. Profit baseball-bat in face

LOL
JamesIV

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

1. Spam.
2. Discourage the same question being asked over and over.
3. They hate me.
4. I am so alone  Cry
5. ?? ?? ?? ??
6. Profit baseball-bat in face

LOL

I told you they hate me

ePoint System

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:30:50 PM

What needs to happen for the restriction to post to other topics to be lifted?
JamesIV

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:34:17 PM

A prime example for the need of restrictions.

5 post and to be on the forum for 4 hours.

ePoint System

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:52:08 PM

A prime example for the need of restrictions.

5 post and to be on the forum for 4 hours.

To be on the forum AFTER the fifth post or after the first post or in total? Also, how does my question exemplify the need for these restrictions?
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 06:53:49 PM

I think it is to prevent noobs and smpammers from cloggin' up the forums.. That is my theory anyways.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ePoint System

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:02:59 PM

I think it is to prevent noobs and smpammers from cloggin' up the forums.. That is my theory anyways.

Sure, but it would be nice to define the terms clearly. It would also be nice to have a possibility to pay some BTC in order for these restrictions to be lifted with immediate effect.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

Useless countermeasure.
With such easy captha protection spammers can easily create thousands of accounts, if they want.
Instead of annoying 4 hours post restriction better to create 1 hour delay between posts.
Know, where are a lot of newbies in world, but I'm reading this forum for a months before one reply in very important topic and had waited for 4 hours...
Useless?
Surely you wasn't there when it was decided...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
acs26

June 28, 2013, 07:09:59 PM

Sure, but it would be nice to define the terms clearly. It would also be nice to have a possibility to pay some BTC in order for these restrictions to be lifted with immediate effect.

Think about this:

The forums gets about 100-1,000 people per week. Having all of them post on one day would be chaotic. Now think about paying. Think about paying .01BTC to get out of Newbie Mode. Now think about that amount increasing per month because of demand. PEOPLE BE PAYIN DAT .12. The forum would be rich. Now think about how much the donation groups would be. Wanna pay 20BTC for the current 10BTC donation package?

Not to mention, that when people scam they'd feel they're entitled to not getting banned, or having a scammer-tag. So of course that would be abusing that method. Not to mention they'd probably be able to lift the scammer-tag by money.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:13:01 PM

Can't figure out what is their consideration of doing this. No one answer questions from Newbie at all. Why they are so sure newbie must not raise good questions and have to be kept prison here...

I answer questions from newbies sometimes. The problem is that very few people actually look for the answer themselves, so we get many, many threads on the same topic, and it feels repetative to answer the same questions over and over and over again. Many times there is even a thread on the same topic on the first page of the section they post in. Like this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244803.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177136.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=245409.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15911.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244728.0

OK, so some of those are more relevant than others, but I just went through the first couple pages of 'Newbies'

The forums gets about 100-1,000 people per week. Having all of them post on one day would be chaotic. Now think about paying. Think about paying .01BTC to get out of Newbie Mode. Now think about that amount increasing per month because of demand. PEOPLE BE PAYIN DAT .12. The forum would be rich. Now think about how much the donation groups would be. Wanna pay 20BTC for the current 10BTC donation package?

The forum already has way more money than they know what to do with, they do not need to add a payment to join.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
jeremiel

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:13:25 PM

SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

A restriction of a newbie like myself is to prevent spam of boards but also of someone just creating manipulative accounts.  Of course there are probably some people with 10 or 20 accounts on here that are used just to help them con other people.  "My name is jimmy and what this guy says is right. You should invest in his scheme .eerrr plan."  Barriers of entry are made as a form of filtration this is not always a bad thing.
ePoint System

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:35:10 PM

SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

A restriction of a newbie like myself is to prevent spam of boards but also of someone just creating manipulative accounts.  Of course there are probably some people with 10 or 20 accounts on here that are used just to help them con other people.  "My name is jimmy and what this guy says is right. You should invest in his scheme .eerrr plan."  Barriers of entry are made as a form of filtration this is not always a bad thing.

That is obvious, but why should that cost be necessarily paid in posts and time? We have a wonderful measure of value here that is transferable. It's called Bitcoin. Why not just use it the way it was meant to be used?
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:42:42 PM

SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

That is obvious, but why should that cost be necessarily paid in posts and time? We have a wonderful measure of value here that is transferable. It's called Bitcoin. Why not just use it the way it was meant to be used?

You want people to be able to pay money and have a free ride to spamming and scamming? If they do not want to put the time/posts in for getting non-newbie accounts, they can just pay somebody else to go through the time period for them. There are a few people selling accounts, and I am sure you could convince some of the slackers around here to burn some time reading the forum to get out of newbie jail for you. Let the market decide. Hmm ... I have a friend who might be interested in doing that ...

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
jeremiel

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:29:15 PM

SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

Are you insinuating money equates to freedom of speech?  Or more strictly bitcoin wallet equals freedom speech and the only freedom of speech acceptable?
ePoint System

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:34:03 PM

SPAM SPAM  and TLDR....

Are you insinuating money equates to freedom of speech?  Or more strictly bitcoin wallet equals freedom speech and the only freedom of speech acceptable?

No. I am saying that what can be done informally anyway should be possible formally. This is net inefficiency.
2G2BT

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 10:12:51 PM

i just hit 4 hours! yay! my registration date was... April 25th! w00t! pretty sure i broke some records there. ;P
not sure if anyone is ever gonna break mine  - - - - > July 2011 and only just got that keyboard fixed   Shocked
oldgermanfreak

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:13:54 PM

I'm reading in this Forum for hours and now i have a question in a specifig thread..
and now i'm here  Roll Eyes because i can't post anywhere else  Roll Eyes

so all i have do do is write a post in the newbie-area and wait almost 4 hours to place my question at the right place?
or should i do more useless postings here do get the rights to post in other threads?

Sorry, for that dump question, but i won't read more useless threads  Tongue
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:19:24 AM

Theres good reason for this rule. It keeps out the hoardes of scammers, and spammers we would get without the restrictions. If your serious about being a member of the forums, 4 hours on the forums and 5 posts shouldnt be a problem.

Haven't you heard? It's now been reduced to ONE post. I suspect even that's too much for some users.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: