Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:59:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Feathercoin to partner with other leading alt currencies  (Read 11253 times)
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:36:27 PM

SMH all these things being done for feathercoin could have been done for Litecoin.

The Litecoin Project does not do shameless self-promotion and pumping of its value because we feel it would be improper to do so.  The ONLY role of the reference project is to protect the security and stability of the network.  The reference project must also never endorse or be unduly influenced by any vendor as it would create unnecessary drama from the perception of conflict of interest.  If the coin is properly maintained by a trusted team of professional developers such that the network is stable and dependable, then others may trust it and build things on top of it.

+1.

Wtogami is the Litecoin lead developer for the newest version.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justabitoftime (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:36:41 PM

You seem to leave out the following:

- FTC has 4x the amount of coins

- FTC was released when Bitcoin was at it's height in price

- FTC was released when miners were circling around alt currency looking to mine

- There is nothing wrong with allowing people the ability to choose. Simple.

There was no pre-mine, already shot the kids down on that one. So basically, your argument is centered around controlling the actions of others? People chose to mine, I don't see your issue.

Mentioning pre-mine is a false argument, I don't even talk about that. You can't prove or logically argue why Bitcoin being $260 caused the 3 million feathercoins being produced on day 1. And I never said there is *anything* wrong with allowing people to mine. Good job again addressing something else I didn't even mention.

2 million litecoins were produced in the first 6 weeks. 2 million feathercoins were made in the first 7 hours. The reasons *why* this occurred are largely irrelevant it's the fact it *has* occurred is the problem.

"you can't prove or logically argue "

Really? Bitcoin at $260 didn't add additional interest to all alt currencies? Look, you can hate Feathercoin, but this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a problem that the free market decided to mine? Wow.

The passion here is novel but often misdirected.

justabitoftime (OP)

CoinTropolis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:39:04 PM

The amount of hate toward open source and free markets is amazing. Keep spitting the venom, that will certainly attract JoeUser investor to the crypto world. Anyway, we're looking forward to the partnership.

mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:42:15 PM

Mentioning pre-mine is a false argument, I don't even talk about that. You can't prove or logically argue why Bitcoin being $260 caused the 3 million feathercoins being produced on day 1. And I never said there is *anything* wrong with allowing people to mine. Good job again addressing something else I didn't even mention.

2 million litecoins were produced in the first 6 weeks. 2 million feathercoins were made in the first 7 hours. The reasons *why* this occurred are largely irrelevant it's the fact it *has* occurred is the problem.

"you can't prove or logically argue "

Really? Bitcoin at $260 didn't add additional interest to all alt currencies? Look, you can hate Feathercoin, but this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a problem that the free market decided to mine? Wow.

The passion here is novel but often misdirected.

There is more interest than ever in alt currencies, that didn't stop Digitalcoin having a fair launch. The money supply graph of digital coin is a straight line all the way. Not a huge spike on day 1 of coins.

And because the free market raped feathercoin and mined 3 million of them in 1 day doesn't change the fact it's still a major discredit to the 'currency'. Especially when it's based on Litecoin which took weeks and weeks to hit 2 million.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:42:39 PM

The numbers speak for themselves. Feathercoin had a terrible release.

http://cryptometer.org/litecoin_90_day_charts.html

Litecoin's first 90 days total supply chart shows 500,000 created in two days and a relatively constant amount created afterwards.

http://cryptometer.org/feathercoin_90_day_charts.html

Feathercoin had 2.9 Million created on day one or 37% of the current supply of coins.

http://cryptometer.org/digitalcoin_90_day_charts.html

Compare that to digitalcoin's release and the difference is astonishing.

It's true. It's a premine of an insidious type. The first to jump on mine a crap load of coins while everyone else deals with an artificial scarcity. It's unfair plain and simple. If you wanted to premine it, just premine it. Don't fake-premine it. 2 million coins in the first few days is unacceptable.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:43:41 PM

The amount of hate toward open source and free markets is amazing. Keep spitting the venom, that will certainly attract JoeUser investor to the crypto world. Anyway, we're looking forward to the partnership.

With whom?

more or less retired.
justabitoftime (OP)

CoinTropolis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:47:23 PM

The numbers speak for themselves. Feathercoin had a terrible release.

http://cryptometer.org/litecoin_90_day_charts.html

Litecoin's first 90 days total supply chart shows 500,000 created in two days and a relatively constant amount created afterwards.

http://cryptometer.org/feathercoin_90_day_charts.html

Feathercoin had 2.9 Million created on day one or 37% of the current supply of coins.

http://cryptometer.org/digitalcoin_90_day_charts.html

Compare that to digitalcoin's release and the difference is astonishing.

It's true. It's a premine of an insidious type. The first to jump on mine a crap load of coins while everyone else deals with an artificial scarcity. It's unfair plain and simple. If you wanted to premine it, just premine it. Don't fake-premine it. 2 million coins in the first few days is unacceptable.

You guys truly make me smile. You keep changing definitions to match your argument. Fake pre-mine? Give it a rest. Bushstar released it, some people jumped on it, some didn't.  My PMs here show that I didn't get involved until days later buying from people like Cyber and XorXor with LTC.

Nothing stopped others from mining. I don't understand how this generation lacks the capacity to understand basic free market ideas.

justabitoftime (OP)

CoinTropolis

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:49:58 PM

It was fun 'debating' with the old school members here. We obviously have a very different idea of free market and community. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts as we continue to push forward. Smiley Cheers.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:51:27 PM

Lets make bets on the winning trio  Smiley!

FTC/PXC/YAC looks like a good choice. An FTC/PXC/BTG or BTB would be even better.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:58:32 PM

In the coming weeks, you'll see announcements of strategic partnerships with other top tier coins.

Top tier coins... Well we only have four; Bitcoin, Litecoin, Namecoin and ppcoin.

Loktera

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:59:13 PM

People use the term 'premine' because it's easier than explaining what actually went down, which was an unfair distribution of coins.

I always found it amusing that FTC was claimed to take after LTC because the dev was enamored with what the LTC devs had done with their coin, but FTC actually is different from LTC in one crucial way.

LTC focused on a fair to everyone launch where the miners had plenty of time to see the post and prepare their miners. Let's not forget that GPU mining didn't exist at the time for scrypt, and despite that, FTC starting difficulty remained the same.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:00:49 PM

In the coming weeks, you'll see announcements of strategic partnerships with other top tier coins.

Top tier coins... Well we only have four; Bitcoin, Litecoin, Namecoin and ppcoin.

TRC?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:08:16 PM

Let's not forget that GPU mining didn't exist at the time for scrypt,
Well..... who knows......

champbronc2

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:37:40 PM

TRC?

I'd say real "top tier" is BTC, LTC, NMC, PPC, TRC, NVC, FTC.

Fuck, I mean basically if you include FTC from BTC-e, you may as well include the rest. Except for CNC. Nobody wants to team up with that shitcoin. Even though it made me 1000% profit  Roll Eyes

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
aysyr

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:38:17 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 02:04:52 AM by aysyr

I usually shrug off any comments like these I see, but I absolutely love how you guys have such a bone to pick that you have to hijack an update thread. Justabitoftime isn't even trying to promote the coin here so much as he is just letting people know of something NEW happening in the crypto community. You want something new? Here it is and you guys STILL don't like it. Anyways figured I'd point out some of your broad misconceptions.

1. An unannounced release? Yes. Unfair? No, that's in the eye of the person discussing it. To be honest most people working the hardest on the coin are people with low hash rates, as in 2mh/s or less, including the developer Peter. Most of them bought into the coin rather than mined it, so what's unfair about that?J They bought their coins... all the others dumped it already. As an FYI, justabitoftime, who you speak with here, bought pretty much all the coins he has and has only started making his own rigs to mine last week and now has I think his second rig built.

2. You say they're paid... no they're not. I may not be that active with posting, but I've been with Feathercoin from the start, and whether you care about my knowledge or not the people working on it ARE NOT PAID by ANYONE. Yes, some may get small donations from other members for their time and effort, but that's it. Justabit, who's kind enough, actually buys coins with fiat to reward people for helping out. He doesn't have to, and you make think it's a bribe, but hey that's just your opinion.

3. Yes, it's admitted that Feathercoin, at the moment, is not that much different from Litecoin. That doesn't mean it won't be different. Peter and many VOLUNTEERS are working hard to come up with stuff for Feathercoin. Could Feathercoin have been released with new features from the start? Possibly, but in a year down the road or less, people won't be considering Feathercoin as a copycat if they're new to cryptos because of all the differences it'll have by then. Besides, it's a community managed coin, so only rightly so all the differences between Litecoin and Feathercoin be discussed and suggested by its users. Who knows what better to be in a coin than those who use it? And don't bash our volunteer programmers for not working on Litecoin to help it become better, if they wanted to, they would've. And honestly many people work hard in the community because they're fueled by your rage and negativity. You give them more of a reason to make it better than you can imagine just to make you lose out for bashing it.

4. Feathercoin's community didn't decide its value. Actually its value was HIGHER before the community even started. Sad I know, but goes to show we don't control its value.

5. Our community didn't hype the troll box. People from our community were there to clear any stupid FUD you guys come up with, that's all. Did some of them maybe say some "FTC to da mooooon!" crap? Maybe, but then again every damn coin there has its people saying that. In addition, I was in the troll box myself watching what people said over the weeks and let me tell you, a lot of people saying that initially were not yet part of the Feathercoin community. And yes, I'm not just saying that because I saw them sign up in the forums eventually AFTER I had seen them do their hyping, so please prove to me I'm wrong.

I love how you all bash people for supporting Feathercoin... at least they're DOING something for the coin they support. That speaks more than all of you people with nothing to do but bash other coins. Are you helping your coins grow? No, you just make its community look like shit by talking shit. You support your coin, we'll support ours. If you come to want to support Feathercoin too, more power to you and welcome. If you don't like it, well no one's forcing it on you. News is news, which is what this thread is. Props to the coins who want to work with others coins because the more there are the stronger they stand.

There's room for more than one coin. Are coins spewed out as pump and dumps bad? Yes, because no one does anything to them to support it or cryptos in general and it diminishes the value and respect of real ones. But those supported deserve more respect than that. Work is work no matter what kind of work it is and do tell me if the Feathercoin community isn't working its hardest for it. To me, effort helping the underdog is more  respectful than standing under a giant and squishing people around you. I support Feathercoin, I support Phenixcoin, but I also support Bitcoin and Litecoin. I don't bash you for supporting them, stop bashing us for what we support.

Trade at C-Cex, my favorite exchange!          Aysyr Reputation Thread
champbronc2

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:41:11 PM

FTC community is classy as fuck. And actually hard working (or at least give off the appearance). Great stronghold of FTC.

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:56:38 PM

People use the term 'premine' because it's easier than explaining what actually went down, which was an unfair distribution of coins.

I always found it amusing that FTC was claimed to take after LTC because the dev was enamored with what the LTC devs had done with their coin, but FTC actually is different from LTC in one crucial way.

LTC focused on a fair to everyone launch where the miners had plenty of time to see the post and prepare their miners. Let's not forget that GPU mining didn't exist at the time for scrypt, and despite that, FTC starting difficulty remained the same.

I figure I should chime in. Now that Litecoin is almost 2 years old, most people don't know or have forgotten how much effort I put in to make sure that the Litecoin launch was fair. I think that's one of the main reasons why Litecoin succeeded and why most of these recent alt coins will fail.

See the chart for the first week of Litecoin? http://cryptometer.org/litecoin_90_day_charts.html
Notice the days between the first 2 blocks and the 3rd block? Looks strange and none of the other alt coins have this. This is because I mined the genesis block and another block to confirm it, and then released the source code and binaries. People had almost a week to look over the source code and mine some Litecoin testnet coins to make sure the everything works. And they can decide whether or not they wanted to mine Litecoin from the start. Then at the community-voted launch date and time, I released the hash for the genesis block and pretty much everyone started mining at the same time.

This is pretty much as fair as I could possibly make it. It's too bad that all these new coins copied the Litecoin code but not the launch process.

butjust41day

Activity: 131

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:30:54 PM

Well litecoin is an original coin in it's own right....I understand why the feathercoin clan want's to suggest that it's no different than feathercoin as an "alt coin"....but they've spent so much time trying to convince everybody that feathercoin is so much better a copy...I wonder why they want it both ways.

Ok it's starting to confuse me....

We have the ultimate original bitcoin (and frankly I sold the feathercoins I mined in the first 24 hours the day they hit the exchange for bitcoins. Thank you very much feathercoin creators your coin will always be my favorite historical coin because of the way I cashed in bigger than ever before).
We have a original coin in litecoin; but, still a variation of the real original with enough differences to give it redeeming qualities.
We have ppcoin which again has redeeming qualities and is an original in it's own right.

If I've missed one (Namecoin?...it's for a unique purpose...and is a cool idea...screw centralized control for the internet) that actually has any real originality to it and is decentralized I apologize to those about to condemn (I'm sorry for your pain....well if your a troll...not really).

It's easy enough to create 10000 clones of each and I have no doubt that there is 1000000 or more people in the world capable enough to do so if they were so inclined. Come up with a real original idea that you did not steal from another and I'll be impressed.
champbronc2

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

What's different about FTC is it was the FIRST scrypt LTC clone without innovation! First makes it legit. Everyone knows the first copier is okay.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:05:43 AM

SMH all these things being done for feathercoin could have been done for Litecoin.

The Litecoin Project does not do shameless self-promotion and pumping of its value because we feel it would be improper to do so.

Then why is it now valued by some at a non zero amount? You guys from day one pumped it as the lighter version of bitcoin, many a time your team as tried to infer to the  public that your coin is in someway endorsed by bitcoin, and thats the only way its ever achieved any percieved value.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: