Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:50:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you believe is moral?  (Read 17727 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:04:15 PM

It is not stealing if a majority agree.

Wow.

What if the majority is ok with rape?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:05:25 PM

Wow.

Then it's going to be legalized.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:06:33 PM

Wow.

Legal does not equal moral.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:08:33 PM

Wow.

Morality is defined by the majority or the most powerful people. Many people thought that questioning the Catholic Church was immoral in the Middle ages.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:09:25 PM

Wow.

Morality is defined by the majority or the most powerful people. Many people thought that questioning the Catholic Church was immoral in the Middle ages.

So slavery was perfectly moral?

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:10:13 PM

Wow.

In certain times yes.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:13:02 PM

In certain times yes.

At least you stand by your religion of the majority committing attrocities.

It explains much of what is wrong with the world.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:14:16 PM

In certain times yes.

At least you stand by your religion of the majority committing attrocities.

It explains much of what is wrong with the world.
I'm not saying I think it's moral. Just people then thought it was.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:18:15 PM

Years down the road people will look back at taxes and say the same thing.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:20:47 PM

Taxes have existed for a long long time. It shows that it's actually working. How else are you going to build bridges, roads, control companies from doing whatever they wish to do.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:23:53 PM

Slavery has existed for a long long time. It shows that it's actually working. How else are you going to pick cotton, peanuts, control Negros.

FTFY

PurpleTentacle

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:24:51 PM

This survey is flawed; You can't answer such questions simply with yes or no without a proper definition of the term "stealing" and without knowing the circumstances that lead to the act of stealing or taxing people.

E.g. I find it absolutely immoral to tax the average wage slave who struggles everyday only to barely survive. I do find it essential however to redistribute a great share of the income of the economic elite.

Stealing from the poor average Joe = immoral
Stealing from a bank = let me watch, please!

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:27:25 PM

Slavery has existed for a long long time. It shows that it's actually working. How else are you going to pick cotton, peanuts, control Negros.
-actual text was Taxes have existed for a long long time. It shows that it's actually working. How else are you going to build bridges, roads, control companies from doing whatever they wish to do.-

FTFY
Please don't edit my posts. Also slavery disappeared from the scale in Moral while taxes didn't.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:30:37 PM

this quiz inspired me to write this so ill post it here.

suppose there are only two humans left on earth. Allice finds some seeds and plants a garden. Is it morally acceptable for bob to consume the produce of this garden without allices permission?

now suppose that allice and bob, inorder to solve the problem of the double coincidence of wants, settle on a medium of exchange. bob exchanges one silver coin, that he dug out of the ground and minted himself, for a portion of the produce in allices garden. After the exchange is complete is it morally acceptable for bob to take this silver coin away from allice without her permission?

now suppose that bob finds a very fine costume and a very tall hat and puts them on. does this make it morally acceptable for bob to take the silver coin away from allice without her permission?

now suppose that bob, wearing his very fine costume, claims that in his custody the silver coin will better serve the interests of the community as a whole than if it were to remain in allices custody. does this make it morally acceptable for bob to take the silver coin away from allice with her permission?

now suppose that there are three humans left on planet earth instead of two. bob, wearing his very fine costume, claims that in his custody the silver coin will better serve the interests of the community as a whole than if it were to remain in allices custody. allice bob and charlie all take a vote on whether or not bob should be allowed to take the silver coin away from allice without her permission. bob and charlie vote yes and allice votes no. now is it morally acceptable for bob to take the silver coin away from allice with her permission?

suppose there are 1000 humans left on planet earth. bob, wearing his very fine costume, claims that in his custody the silver coin will better serve the interests of the community as a whole than if it were to remain in allices custody. allice, bob, charlie and all of the 997 humans take a vote on whether or not bob should be allowed to take the silver coin away from allice without her permission. bob charlie and the other 998 vote yes and allice votes no. now is it morally acceptable for bob to take the silver coin away from allice with her permission?

one last question. suppose there are 1000 humans left on planet earth. bob, wearing his very fine costume, claims that it is in the interest of the community as a whole that allice be sacrificed to the volcano god. allice, bob, charlie and all of the 997 humans take a vote on whether or not bob should be allowed to throw allice into the volcano without her permission. bob charlie and the other 998 vote yes and allice votes no. does this democratic process make it morally acceptable for bob to throw allice in the volcano?

The purpose of this thought exercise is to demonstrate how democracy is at its core the institutionalization of the argumentum ad populum fallacy. When everyone on earth believed that the earth was flat this didnt make it so. It is my intention to suggest that structuring an entire society on the foundation of a logical fallacy may not be the wisest thing to do.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:35:21 PM

The whole point of the survey is to try and convince people that taxation is illegal and/or immoral. You cannot run society (building roads, etc.) without some taxes. How much, and how it applies are whole other cans of worms...

9/10

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:44:40 PM

I'll agree that democracy by itself is not good enough. You need to follow a good moral code along with it. Does not have to be a religion per se, but at least a Bill of Rights type agreement.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

I'll agree that democracy by itself is not good enough. You need to follow a good moral code along with it. Does not have to be a religion per se, but at least a Bill of Rights type agreement.

Morality is just a matter of what is right and what is wrong.  Even children know that stealing is wrong.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:52:53 PM

Morality is just a matter of what is right and what is wrong.  Even children know that stealing is wrong.
Some day kids might think otherwise. Morality as a concept is changing: some things become moral, some - immoral.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:56:55 PM

democracy is the idea that getting a bunch of people to gather to vote on a question can be expected to lead to the correct answer. this is a logical fallacy. no decisions should be made on the basis of a logical fallacy, not moral ones, not amoral ones.

more importantly to you understand how the comic i posed describes the mistake that you are making in the text that i quoted?

wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:17:31 PM

taxes are needed unless we want a complete anarchy.

This is incorrect.  Government could be funded voluntarily.  It's not binary between taxes and anarchy.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: