Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:16:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ATM: any news after San Diego?  (Read 12841 times)
kik1977 (OP)

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:19:56 AM

After the unveiling of the BitcoinATM in San Diego last May (https://bitcoinatm.com/), I heard nothing about it.
Despite some researches, I cannot find anything in the news. Have FinCen's regulations affected it? I guess so..
Do you have any news I wasn't able to find? Were you there in San Diego?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:24:00 AM

It was a tech demonstration. The idea that people would go around plonking bitcoin ATM machines around the world and the governments would just let them do so was at best naive, at worst entirely stupid.

There were even headlines flying around like "Cyprus gets world's first bitcoin ATM machine". What a load of tripe.
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:37:22 AM

It was a tech demonstration. The idea that people would go around plonking bitcoin ATM machines around the world and the governments would just let them do so was at best naive, at worst entirely stupid.

There were even headlines flying around like "Cyprus gets world's first bitcoin ATM machine". What a load of tripe.

I read that article, was a huge amount of BS written there! Still the underlying idea is pretty good.
In my work I do training and one of the topics is Bitcoin; many of the participants are pretty fast in understanding the basics but then I see their main obstacle: they all think the process of acquiring bitcoins is too cumbersome! Opening an account with some exchangers, providing the documents requested, wire-tranfer money.. nothing impossible to do, of course, but very few of them want to go through that..

Also meeting in person (https://localbitcoins.com/) sounds strange to many..

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:48:21 AM

I read that article, was a huge amount of BS written there! Still the underlying idea is pretty good.
In my work I do training and one of the topics is Bitcoin; many of the participants are pretty fast in understanding the basics but then I see their main obstacle: they all think the process of acquiring bitcoins is too cumbersome! Opening an account with some exchangers, providing the documents requested, wire-tranfer money.. nothing impossible to do, of course, but very few of them want to go through that..

Its partly a question of "critical mass" and network theory i.e. the value of the network is equal to the square of the numbers of people in that network. So if there are 1,000 people on the planet using bitcoin, that's only 1,000x1,000 people in the "bitcoin network", so you aren't likely to have a buddy (or buddy of a buddy) using bitcoin. Now if there were 1,000,000 people on the planet using bitcoin, the value of the network would be 1,000,000x1,000,000, you are *bound* to know someone who uses bitcoin, or has a friend that uses bitcoin.

The idea being that if you know somebody who owns bitcoins, you don't need to go to an exchange to get started, or even meet total strangers via localbitcoins, which I'm sure is scary as heck to most people even if they happen to live within the area. They are scared of being ripped off in some way because they are new to the process.

Once the "bitcoin network" is big enough, you will know someone, or know someone who knows someone who has bitcoins already, and you can just buy them straight from that trusted friend. How far we are away from that circumstance, I don't know. But its certainly a lot closer than having ATM machines dishing out bitcoins.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 11:26:53 AM

the only way i can see bitcoinATM work financially is this:

they employ 50 franchises (1 per US state) each franchisee pays for the licence of that state under the groups company name of bitcoinATM.

that franchisee then owns the rights to trade, maintain and work within the borders of that state on behalf of bitcoinATM.

bitcoinATM then send them a machine/bunch of machines and set the rates of pay (price above spot) so that the franchisee can see a nice income to recoup its 'buy in licence' and the bitcoinatm headoffice gets enough income to see profit after the bitcoinATM machine costs.

compared to:

having just one company buying all the licences and having to travel the entire width and height of USA for maintenance, installs etc is more expensive venture to attempt

the other plausible option is to speak to existing ATM vendors to add a extra feature on their platform for Bitcoin.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:47:14 PM

Last I read they aren't bothering with the legalities; They are working as a manufacturer and the licensing for their jurisdiction is up to the customer.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:02:45 PM

Last I read they aren't bothering with the legalities; They are working as a manufacturer and the licensing for their jurisdiction is up to the customer.

Sure, that' s the way I inteded it. Nevertheless what Franky said still apply to any company trying to put those ATMs in place and it seems to be a HUGE problem. Not sure whether the situation burocracy-wise is different in other jurisdictions..
Still I wonder if anyone is working on this (trying to get licensed specifically to put BTC ATMs in place)!

Killdozer

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:23:09 PM

Sure, that' s the way I inteded it. Nevertheless what Franky said still apply to any company trying to put those ATMs in place and it seems to be a HUGE problem.

What huge problem? FinCEN said they are now regulating bitcoins, so all companies need licenses. Get the license and you are set...

The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 02:30:33 PM

Anyone is aware of this bitcoin ATM project from Lamassu Bitcoin Venture?
http://lamassubtc.com/

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:54:57 PM

Sure, that' s the way I inteded it. Nevertheless what Franky said still apply to any company trying to put those ATMs in place and it seems to be a HUGE problem.

What huge problem? FinCEN said they are now regulating bitcoins, so all companies need licenses. Get the license and you are set...

Huge=time consuming that's what I meant. Since you cannot register once for all but you need to be registered in all the 50 States. Not impossible, that's for sure, but you would agree you need a lot of: money, time. Smiley

kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:58:23 PM

Yes, although as said before, the problem isn't the technology, that is ready and available with more than one ATM model ready (or almost ready) to be shipped - is regulations.
Still curious to know if anyone has news about an "already established" BTC ATM anywhere in the world..

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 03:22:59 PM

Unless you want FinCEN picking up ATM 15 minutes after they are installed you have to work out the legalities of it. 

That being stated,  the second that's clear you're going to see Bitcoin skyrocket in value.. that's the killer app...   because people could just trade in an out.. go to walmart.. cash in a few bitcoins get groceries... 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:26:22 PM

That being stated,  the second that's clear you're going to see Bitcoin skyrocket in value.. that's the killer app...   because people could just trade in an out.. go to walmart.. cash in a few bitcoins get groceries... 

That's exactly why I am curious to find any news about it...

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:39:41 PM

People understimate how difficult it is to get these licenses and how much they cost.

It can cost millions per state and a lot of record keeping must be kept.

The only way the bitcoin ATM could happen is if a large bank that already has ATMs (Bank of America, Citibank, etc) decides to get involved.

In other news, I'm still waiting for bitcoin debit card!
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 03:57:42 PM

People understimate how difficult it is to get these licenses and how much they cost.

It can cost millions per state and a lot of record keeping must be kept.

The only way the bitcoin ATM could happen is if a large bank that already has ATMs (Bank of America, Citibank, etc) decides to get involved.

In other news, I'm still waiting for bitcoin debit card!

Actually it doesn't.

California is one of the most expensive states:
(d) A licensee that sells or issues payment instruments or stored
value shall maintain securities on deposit or a bond of a surety
company in an amount of no less than five hundred thousand dollars
($500,000) or 50 percent of the average daily outstanding payment
instrument and stored value obligations in California, whichever is
greater; provided that such amount shall not be more than two million
dollars ($2,000,000).
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fin&group=02001-03000&file=2030-2043

New York, Texas Illinois and Florida are also expensive.

South Carolina and Montana do not require Money Transmission Licenses.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

That's just a vending machine for Bitcoins.  It won't pay out cash for them.
Funky Al

Activity: 142

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:46:40 PM

You don't have to meet up, you can do a bank transfer and they send the Bitcoin to your online wallet, it's then just a case of sending it to your local one.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:20:31 AM

Remember, for FinCEN you have to know your customer as well.

How are you going to verify and ensure the guy buying $20 worth of bitcoin is who he says he is?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:29:49 AM

How do you know the drug dealer doesn't have 20 mules each with 1000 20 dollar bills lining up at your machine to purchase bitcoin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:45:21 AM

Bitcoin ATM. lol

After all this time I still laugh when I think about it. Maybe they can name their ATMs "the Ellet". rolf

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: