Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:27:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Photo] First of 2013 Casascius Silver Coins Now Available For Sale  (Read 15836 times)
MWNinja

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 05:40:09 PM

I think what I am going to do is, when I get all these initial orders shipped, I may wait to fund them so that the FIRST funding transaction funds as many as possible, to give them "first batch" distinction.  That might mean that those who get them the quickest might have to wait 7-10 days for me to fund them to let others catch up.  I'm curious on others' opinions.  If I don't do this, then only US buyers would have a chance to get "first batch" coins because theirs will arrive the fastest.

If I do this, I will at least publish where the funds are, so everyone can see they're just sitting there and not accruing "interest" in a ponzi scheme.

(These won't have incrementing addresses like my newest brass coins do... I will just be using the 1Ag* addresses I already generated long ago, in truly random order, since I have so many of them that aren't used)

Doesn't this amount to making you an interest free loan until the point the coins are actually funded? What happens if you get hit by a beer truck between when they ship and when you intended to fund them?  I don't feel particularly comfortable receiving unfunded coins and bearing that risk just to help foreign buyers get their coins through customs cheaper.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:02:44 PM

Doesn't this amount to making you an interest free loan until the point the coins are actually funded?

Yes.

What happens if you get hit by a beer truck between when they ship and when you intended to fund them?

Then you will own a truly rare specimen: an unfunded Casascius coin in the wild - and in the wake of my unexpected death it will probably fetch no less than your initial cost on ebay, even being short the funds.  You'll make out just fine!  On top of that, whoever handles my estate will probably be able to fund your coin anyway -- assuming you value it more being funded versus unfunded.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:03:25 PM

Doesn't this amount to making you an interest free loan until the point the coins are actually funded?

Unless you were planning on immediately opening your coin upon receipt and investing the bitcoins, what's the difference to you? You could've saved a lot of time by not buying the coin in the first place.

What happens if you get hit by a beer truck between when they ship and when you intended to fund them?

Probably the same thing as if he gets hit by a beer truck between the time you sent your payment and the time he ships. IIRC, Casascius has a pretty robust dead man's switch in place for his business.

I don't feel particularly comfortable receiving unfunded coins and bearing that risk just to help foreign buyers get their coins through customs cheaper.

Casascius has been sending unfunded coins for a long time now, for the simple reason that there is a risk of theft in mail - a risk much higher than Casascius being randomly killed. Really it's to protect the buyer - how would you feel if your coin arrived opened and drained, or not at all?  You think Casascius wants to deal with people demanding their bitcoins back because of mail theft when it's easy and secure to fund the coins on arrival?

In any case, it's a non-issue as these foreign buyers just want a different invoice so they have to pay less VATS.
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:10:54 PM

Out of curiosity, how many of these silver coins are you producing this year?
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:16:23 PM

Casascius has been sending unfunded coins for a long time now, for the simple reason that there is a risk of theft in mail - a risk much higher than Casascius being randomly killed. Really it's to protect the buyer - how would you feel if your coin arrived opened and drained, or not at all?  You think Casascius wants to deal with people demanding their bitcoins back because of mail theft when it's easy and secure to fund the coins on arrival?

In any case, it's a non-issue as these foreign buyers just want a different invoice so they have to pay less VATS.

Fair shout; I have more trust in Casascius than I do in FedEx or the mail system in general.  This is my first large (well large by my standards) purchase with bitcoin, so just feeling a little skittish. I don't intend on redeeming the coins for at least a decade, so a slight delay in funding isn't really a big deal.  I do plan on using them to help explain bitcoin to some people that are interested but have reservations due to the lack of it being tangible.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:29:59 AM

So is there an order cutoff date for being included in the "first batch"?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:37:45 AM

Casascius has been sending unfunded coins for a long time now, for the simple reason that there is a risk of theft in mail - a risk much higher than Casascius being randomly killed.

no, the reason is import tax and customs fees and stuff. He will fund the coins even if they get stolen.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:38:50 AM

Fair shout; I have more trust in Casascius than I do in FedEx or the mail system in general.  This is my first large (well large by my standards) purchase with bitcoin, so just feeling a little skittish. I don't intend on redeeming the coins for at least a decade, so a slight delay in funding isn't really a big deal.  I do plan on using them to help explain bitcoin to some people that are interested but have reservations due to the lack of it being tangible.

Actually you can tell Mike to fund the coins at any time as far as I know. Even before the package arrives.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 04:56:55 PM

Casascius has been sending unfunded coins for a long time now, for the simple reason that there is a risk of theft in mail - a risk much higher than Casascius being randomly killed.

no, the reason is import tax and customs fees and stuff. He will fund the coins even if they get stolen.

If USPS or FedEx certifies they actually lost a shipment in transit that I sent (a privilege I reserve exclusively for things I personally ship) then I will not make the buyer eat it. With the premium shipping options I offer, this is sometimes/usually possible. With Registered Mail in the US it is practically guaranteed.  Note that it only applies when they actually know they lost it and certify it in writing as part of their claims process, and not just when the tracking fails to say delivered.

I have only had this happen once before - USPS certified a shipment was lost - and then 3 months later it actually came back to me as "unclaimed". But I replaced that order.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Super T

Activity: 124

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:35:12 PM

Anyone deciphered the binary on the new issues?
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 08:04:30 PM

I have one-ounce 1BTC coins in the works, as well as 0.1BTC silver coins (7.5g).

Still waiting for the 0.1s, any update?

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Moogle

Activity: 238

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 08:35:38 AM

these look truly amazing :-D

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 03:51:47 PM

Any updates on orders?

Thx

The first shipments were prepared yesterday and are going out today.

Half-ounce coins: have produced enough to cover all orders so far - unless you have requested the old sticker, then I'll need a couple more days.  So far, 29 rolls have been sold.
Full-ounce coins: still working on these.  22 rolls have been sold: 4 are ready to go and are shipping in orders, another 9 are nearly done (one more laser step before they're ready to ship, and some of these will go out today), and the other 9 still need to be stickered.  These took some extra time: my 1BTC sticker doesn't quite fit, so I added an effect with the laser machine that adds a gold sparkle "trim" to the sticker by melting the edge, which also has the fortunate side effect of making the sticker smaller and therefore fit.  Programming the laser machine, tweaking the program, and making the tooling for this to happen set me back for time a bit.

Also have done an engraving batch of custom 2-factor bars yesterday, so if you're waiting on one of these, they'll be going out today as well.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:20:07 AM

Thanks for the update Mike.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:30:39 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2013, 11:11:18 PM by chrisrico

What size Air-Tite cases do these fit in?

The half ounce coins fit in #1020 Air-Tite T30.6mm DF, the ounce coins fit in #1050 Air-Tite H39mm DF. The half ouncers are a little loose, but not enough to move around unless a decent amount of force is used.

Pictures.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 05:30:42 PM

Update on silver coins posted to my blog:

http://casascius.wordpress.com

I've also sent out a quick e-mail to just about everyone with a pending order, advising of order-specific status.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:05:28 PM

got mine yesterday, love them.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 06:17:21 PM

What size Air-Tite cases do these fit in?

The ounce coins fit in #1020 Air-Tite T30.6mm DF, the half ounce coins fit in #1050 Air-Tite H39mm DF. The half ouncers are a little loose, but not enough to move around unless a decent amount of force is used.

Pictures!

I think 30mm is the right size, I ordered some 30mm capsules myself and will know for sure soon.

I couldn't get the picture link to work Sad

nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:43:38 PM

I couldn't get the picture link to work Sad

Me either, although it was working earlier today. FWIW, they looked pretty.  Smiley

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:47:45 PM

I'm still waiting for the 0.1s, so I can make one large order  Cry

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: