Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:16:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin was bought for the first time?  (Read 2655 times)
Vadimekb (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:19:19 AM

I am writing a scientific thesis : development of new means of payment.

As with all the money Bitcoin meets several criteria. One of them is the fact that Bitcoin can be exchanged for goods or services.

But there was a question. Who was the first known decided to sell a product or provide a service for Bitcoin? Why he decided then that he would be able to spend the same Bitcoin?

If anyone has a clue, I'll be very grateful.

P.s. sorry for my English!
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:24:48 AM

There you go, the famous 10.000 BTC pizza: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0
Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:28:48 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 10:42:42 AM by Vadimekb

Thank you!

I saw those thread yet. But the question unanswered.

Why pizza seller has decided that he would be able to spend these Bitcoins, which he received for the pizza?

This is the main and VERY interesting thing Smiley
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:50:30 AM

The core of the ideas is: Somebody has to throw the first stone!

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:54:12 AM

At first, somebody bought a Bitcoin for fun, because it was cool & nerdy/geeky thing to do.

But once the man realized what he bought has real value, he didn't want to sell it so cheap - so the price rose.

There you have it - the beginnings of free market.

Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:00:04 AM

I kill a squirrel. I try to sell it to you. You likely wouldn't pay anything for it.

I try to sell it to a starving man on a desert island. He'll be willing to give me everything he owns.

Different things have different values to different people at different times.

The guy who ACCEPTED the Bitcoin as an exchange of value is the person who had a need or a belief of Bitcoin.

He didn't believe it was worth much, hence 10,000 for one pizza. His value of a Bitcoin at that time was a little less than a fifth of a cent. To be fair, he was probably doing it for entertainment reasons.

Regardless, this put a real world value on each Bitcoin.

Someone believed that each Bitcoin was worth approximately $0.0014.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:07:38 AM

Would you say that the seller changed the pizza  for Bitcoins just because it's fun and all?
I think that it was another reason to sell pizza not for stones )) but for bitcoins.

Maybe it was just for fun, may be not.

the state forces us to pay off with dollars, however nobody forces us to give real things for Bitkoin, but nevertheless it occurs. For what reason it was done by the first who began? Smiley
Inedible

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:12:53 AM

Would you say that the seller changed the pizza  for Bitcoins just because it's fun and all?
I think that it was another reason to sell pizza not for stones )) but for bitcoins.

There was nothing you could do with Bitcoin at the time.

There was just the hope that it would become something bigger and useful.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:16:33 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 11:35:55 AM by Vadimekb

And what facts, which made this hope?
Any ideas?!)

Actually for some reason he had hope  that namely bitcoin would become something bigger and useful, but not stones or shells Smiley

This is a very interesting Smiley
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:17:50 AM

There you go, the famous 10.000 BTC pizza: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0
That dot is not a comma, which would represent thousands. That is 10,000(thousand) Bitcoins.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:21:49 AM

That dot is not a comma, which would represent thousands. That is 10,000(thousand) Bitcoins.

Depends upon which country you are in. The function of dot vs comma is not universal.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Inedible

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:52:03 AM

Any ideas?!)

Actually for some reason he had hope  that namely bitcoin would become something bigger and useful, but not stones or shells Smiley

These are the facts.

The hopes were in the eye of the beholder.

He might have wanted to mine some Bitcoins but to him, it was more convenient to pay for a pizza for 10,000 of them instead. It saved him all that time setting things up and reading about it. To him it had at least a value of $14.

See my earlier example.

Take a squirrel to a billionaire in the US and ask him if he'd like to eat it for $1M. He'll tell you to get lost. Starve him for 2 weeks and ask him if he'd like it for $1M and I'm pretty sure he'd snap it up. To you and I, that squirrel is still worth nothing.

Something's value is dependent on the person and at the time.

Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:13:31 PM

Any ideas?!)

Actually for some reason he had hope that namely bitcoin would become something bigger and useful, but not stones or shells Smiley

These are the facts.

The hopes were in the eye of the beholder.

He might have wanted to mine some Bitcoins but to him, it was more convenient to pay for a pizza for 10,000 of them instead. It saved him all that time setting things up and reading about it. To him it had at least a value of $14.

See my earlier example.

Take a squirrel to a billionaire in the US and ask him if he'd like to eat it for $1M. He'll tell you to get lost. Starve him for 2 weeks and ask him if he'd like it for $1M and I'm pretty sure he'd snap it up. To you and I, that squirrel is still worth nothing.

Something's value is dependent on the person and at the time.

This reason (why he need bitcoins) also is the purpose.
Why in general the first miners began to mine  bitcoins?! Smiley
This is not so obviously as it seems.
mco65

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 12:17:33 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 12:28:26 PM by mco65

I think the answer your looking for is FAITH.
The first person to sell PIZZA for Bitcoin had FAITH that he could use that bitcoin to purchase something as well... if not immediately then in the very near future..

Faith and TRUST are the back bone of MOST currencies, not just BITCOIN.
Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:38:43 PM

I think the answer your looking for is FAITH.
The first person to sell PIZZA for Bitcoin had FAITH that he could use that bitcoin to purchase something as well... if not immediately then in the very near future..

Faith and TRUST are the back bone of MOST currencies, not just BITCOIN.

I absolutely agree with you.

But if in a case with dollar or ruble, our belief is supported with state forces. Because of what there was a belief of the seller, what he thought he would buy something for bitcoins?
This is the thing about what we need to think Smiley

For example the belief in God : many people has it from stories of relatives or reading the bible.

And what was a reason of trust that the first who started selling something for bitcoins?

P.s. again I'm sorry for my English Smiley
trasla

Activity: 707

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:51:26 PM

Dont forget that BTC are limited, in a way well known.
By selling the pizza for 10000 BTC, he got somethign which he knew would grow harder and harder to obtain.

And, besides, probably the main reason is, he liked the idea.
You might think a free and unregulated currency is a good idea, and support it by risking the amount of 14$.
Or its just playing with science, like "whoo, how does this work, lets try it, it costs less than an evening in the cinema!!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:28:27 PM

America is not the world  Smiley

xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:08:33 PM

I am writing a scientific thesis : development of new means of payment.

As with all the money Bitcoin meets several criteria. One of them is the fact that Bitcoin can be exchanged for goods or services.

But there was a question. Who was the first known decided to sell a product or provide a service for Bitcoin? Why he decided then that he would be able to spend the same Bitcoin?

P.s. sorry for my English!

Good question. The regression theorem states that things can not come into moneyness by itself. There has to be a reference to yesterdays prices, the day before that and so on all the way back in time before money existed. At that time the value would start with intrinsic value, just like in barter.

Bitcoins has no intrinsic value, and thus is at odds with the regression theorem. Personally I think the regression theorem is wrong, or at least you have to modify it. Modern people have no problem accepting that the fiat money has no intrinsic value, and it is quite obvious that bitcoin in the beginning, even if it had no value, could in the future aquire exchange value.
Vadimekb (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:24:47 PM

Dont forget that BTC are limited, in a way well known.
By selling the pizza for 10000 BTC, he got somethign which he knew would grow harder and harder to obtain.

And, besides, probably the main reason is, he liked the idea.
You might think a free and unregulated currency is a good idea, and support it by risking the amount of 14$.
Or its just playing with science, like "whoo, how does this work, lets try it, it costs less than an evening in the cinema!!

Yes. Everything is right! ... but there are many things become rare on the Earth (Old cans for exaple). But nevertheless, he chooses to receive Bitkoins for the pizza. He could exchange this pizza for a tail of a squirrel, or shit of a whale or images of someones fingerprints (this is also rare things)Smiley
But, what attracted in idea of bitcoin not in idea of ... ?
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:26:22 PM

America is not the world  Smiley
I live in Europe mind you, and English is NOT my native language.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: