Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:48:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: same public key  (Read 3150 times)
schnuber (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:11:06 PM

I have a stupid question.
How is it prevented that there are accidentally two identical bitcoin addresses in the system? Of course the probability is small but if it happened it would be disastrous, wouldn't it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:28:01 PM

I have a stupid question.
How is it prevented that there are accidentally two identical bitcoin addresses in the system? Of course the probability is small but if it happened it would be disastrous, wouldn't it?
It wouldn't really be that disastrous. But no, there is no system to prevent two addresses from colliding. If it ever happened, it would mean you can steal the money in there.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:29:17 PM

How do you prevent yourself from being simultaneously struck by lightening and a meteorite while also being bitten by a mosquito that gives you West Nile virus as your house is being swallowed by a sinkhole caused by an earthquake?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 08:52:28 PM

From another thread just yesterday, there are exactly:

p = FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFE FFFFFC2F

= 2^256 − 2^32 − 2^9 − 2^8 − 2^7 − 2^6 − 2^4 − 1

possible key pairs in the Bitcoin system.  

However, because of the way Bitcoin addresses are calculated there are "only" 2^160 possible Bitcoin addresses.

So 2^160 is the number you are dealing with when talking about Bitcoin address collisions.  

This number is big.  Really, really big.  The probablity of a collision is so small that it will never happen.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:03:36 PM

From another thread just yesterday, there are exactly:

p = FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFE FFFFFC2F

= 2^256 − 2^32 − 2^9 − 2^8 − 2^7 − 2^6 − 2^4 − 1

possible key pairs in the Bitcoin system. 

However, because of the way Bitcoin addresses are calculated there are "only" 2^160 possible Bitcoin addresses.

So 2^160 is the number you are dealing with when talking about Bitcoin address collisions. 

This number is big.  Really, really big.  The probablity of a collision is so small that it will never happen.
Yep, 2^160 ~ 1.46x10^48 = 48 zeros!

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2013, 07:43:15 AM by jackjack

Number of water molecules on Earth: 4.68 x 1046
Number of keys possible: 2 ^ 160 = 1.5 x 1048 = 30 * Number of water molecules on Earth

Imagine you choose one water molecule on Earth (anywhere: in ocean, your kitchen, your cat's lung, Kim Jung Il's hair, etc) and I do the same without us communicating
The possibility of address collision is 30 times lower than the possibility of us chosing the same water molecule

Even if choose billions of water molecules (which is 1000000000000000 tinier than a glass of water) instead of just one, do you realize how ridiculously impossible it is for us to have even one shared molecule?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
schnuber (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:09:16 PM

Many commercial entities will use a new address for each transaction. If bitcoin will be widely adopted someday the amount of used bitcoin addresses will be also very big. Of course the probability of two identical addresses will still be very small... but it will be there, nonetheless.
I simply wonder what the implications would be if that happened.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:10:24 PM

Many commercial entities will use a new address for each transaction. If bitcoin will be widely adopted someday the amount of used bitcoin addresses will be also very big. Of course the probability of two identical addresses will still be very small... but it will be there, nonetheless.
has been discussed 9001 times. please search for answer kthx

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:12:16 PM

Chance would be the address was used 10 years ago by someone, and they've lost the privkey by now anyway. Always a good idea to empty old addresses right? Smiley

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:14:36 PM

Obvious lack of sense of proportion
Did you ever wonder about the implications of being hit by 3 lightnings simultaneously on the right eye, the left feet and the belly button?

Also, search

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:16:10 PM

Nope.  Very big and 2^160 big are two different things.   It is like saying if we can go to mars (very far away from the earth) in a year then obviously we could just keep going and get to the nearest star "soon" doing the same thing.

Maybe this helps:
if a billion people, each used a billion new addresses, every second continuously for the next billion years that would be less than 1/460,000,000,000th of 1% of possible addresses in 2^160.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:18:34 PM

It would be much easier to crack that SHA256 address. The solution to both is to not keep all your coins in one address.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:20:45 PM

give up people.

some people just cannot comprehend so big numbers.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

give up people.

some people just cannot comprehend so big numbers.
I guess so
So disappointing

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:22:56 PM

Hashing takes far less work than generating keypairs, and so far the bitcoin network has done something like 270 hashes in 4.5 years.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:26:01 PM

Hashing takes far less work than generating keypairs, and so far the bitcoin network has done something like 270 hashes in 4.5 years.

noob response: oh, we are already half way.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:27:56 PM

noob response: oh, we are already half way.

For noobs;

2^70=22 digits
2^140=43 digits

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
schnuber (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:45:20 PM

Amazing how one gets bashed and degraded simply because for asking a legitimate question.

I wasn't asserting that the theoretical possibility of two identical addresses is an imminent weakness of bitcoin.

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

I think this attitude is not beneficial for mainstream adoption of bitcoin.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:56:56 PM

Amazing how one gets bashed and degraded simply because for asking a legitimate question.

I wasn't asserting that the theoretical possibility of two identical addresses is an imminent weakness of bitcoin.

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

You were bashed for not using the search function

It wouldn't really be that disastrous. But no, there is no system to prevent two addresses from colliding. If it ever happened, it would mean you can steal the money in there.

has been discussed 9001 times. please search for answer kthx

Also, search

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:58:13 PM

If you read my post carefully you probably recognize that I am simply asking whether there is a mechanism in the software that somehow prevents two identical addresses (meanwhile I found out from your responses that there's not) and secondly, I wonder what the implications would be if  there were two identical addresses in the system. To this question you have failed to provide a profound answer yet, since you obviously prefer to bash people than to provide instructive explanations (which of course requires more intelligence and respect for other people that don't share the same level of knowledge yet).

Your question was answered though it might not have been very obvious. The result of such an astronomically unlikely event would be the same as if you were struck by lightning, hit by a car, and attacked by a great white shark in the middle of the Sahara desert at the same time: it would be (potentially) very bad for you, the victim, it would get a lot of attention and many others would probably worry about the same thing happening to them despite the odds against it while the rest of us and our descendants would happily use bitcoins until the universe ended without ever experiencing anything similar.

Hope that satisfies you.

Still around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: