Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:26:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you agree to prohibit newbies from starting a topic?
Yes! All of them. - 10 (28.6%)
Yes! All of them but in some sections (please specify). - 5 (14.3%)
Yes, except for copper member. - 9 (25.7%)
No! - 11 (31.4%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Prohibiting newbies from starting a topic  (Read 942 times)
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:29:51 PM

the main idea of the forum is not to herd the experienced users together and leave the rest outside,we all have been newbies at some point
we all made mistakes(well,the majority of us :\  ) and to restrict the newbies even further will not help
with the increased price and adoption,expect many more people to come here
and statistically,there are at least 5% of inadequate people and 16.97% of spammers so every fifth post is a shitpost anyhow,newbie or not  Grin
pretty sure a good portion of the shitposts (outside of the altcoin section, i cant speak for it) come from bought / farmed accounts for the purposes of sig campaigns. fud and altcoin pumping aside, these accounts are the ones with more of a reason to spam (money). not sure how they all manage to post so much, even 30 good posts in a week i feel is a lot.

Nah, often times the reason people join is to ask a question. If they are blocked from asking their question the moment they join it will be much more difficult to integrate them into the community
havent really thought about it that way, but i have noticed it quite a lot. thanks for pointing that out, simple as it may have been.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knightmairesaint

Activity: 490
Merit: 262

privacy preserving smart contracts and beyond

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 10:32:17 PM

Nah, often times the reason people join is to ask a question. If they are blocked from asking their question the moment they join it will be much more difficult to integrate them into the community
havent really thought about it that way, but i have noticed it quite a lot. thanks for pointing that out, simple as it may have been.

I guess it was the way of the moderators to limit newbies from asking shallow questions. What I mean is that there are things about bitcoin that they can learn by themselves already by searching on the internet. Another thing is that it will oblige them to roam around the forum because there are basic questions that have been answered before. I am once a newbie and before I registered, I roam around the forum first out of curiosity.

d█████                      d███████  ,o██████
                   d█████[                    ,█████████ d████████
                   d█████[                   ,██████P'' d█████
                   d█████[                   ██████'   d█████
                   d█████[                  ,██████    d█████
  _▄▄▄████████████bd█████Y██████L     ,█████████████████████[,d▄██▄
 ▄████████████████bd█████ Y██████b   d██████████████████████fY██████
██████P"P██████"""'d█████  ` ██████.d█████ PY█████PPPPP█████[ `▀██▀
█████    `█████[   d█████   ` ███████████ ' ]█████    d█████
█████    ,█████[   d█████     Y█████████P   ]█████    d█████
██████ooo█████P    d█████      Y███████P    ]█████    d█████
 Y███████████P     d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
  `"P█████P'       d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
  _oo█████oo_      d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
 d███████████
██████P"Y█████
█████     █████
''''     ,█████
ooooooooo█████
█████████████
█████████▀▀

▬▬▬   is a decentralized internet
   platform delivering anonymous
   asset
transfers and data 
   privacy for smart contracts.

in
OUR SOLUTION : : :

This enables developers to include sensitive data in their
smart-contracts, directly on-chain.

██████████ █▄ 
██████████ ███▄
██████████▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN GLYFF

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
[
InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 12:15:38 AM

I guess it was the way of the moderators to limit newbies from asking shallow questions. What I mean is that there are things about bitcoin that they can learn by themselves already by searching on the internet. Another thing is that it will oblige them to roam around the forum because there are basic questions that have been answered before. I am once a newbie and before I registered, I roam around the forum first out of curiosity.

Good points.

@few replies : I didn't mean to prohibit newbies from posting in topics.
I just asked to prohibit them from starting topics which are mostly spammy/scammy ones. Maybe I should specify that they could always open a topic in beginners and help section or even in meta (+ their respective languages).
Other boards could be accessible too after the mod of the selected sub approves the topics, maybe? Like that useless and spammy posts could be rejected and we can reduce the spam.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
ritsel02

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:32:17 AM

It's not new that most of the threads on some sections are just the same questions frequently asked by newbies.But not everyone are doing the same way as they did, some might be newbie in the forum but with enough experiences on crypto.We been once a newbie too, maybe all they need are guidance and warnings once they committed mistakes because we have joined here without orientations.
Higher ranks are lucky enough to almost learned everything here and it's the best time to share your knowledge to newbies.
It's hard to deprive their right in posting new topics.But to solve this problem, I go for yes except for copper members.
silverleew1

Activity: 84
Merit: 16

Begone junkers!

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:44:23 AM

Hey, newbies spamming and shit-posting problem getting worse everyday. Some users suggested to bring back the noob jail, others decided to only visiting some subs (or left?).
The question is clear and i will not vote but what i suggest is to prohibit the newbies from posting except for copper member newbies (small fine/contribution or wait a month!).
Noob jail isn't solution on spammers or shitposters..
The main problem of the forum right now is not enough mods or report that help mods itself taking care all the shitposters or spammers..
They must look at the post.. read the thread first if its out of topic case.. and etc..
Not all newbie is genuine newbie about forum.
Here's my suggestion feel free to check it out.
How about the Rank system changed..
Change all Newbie rank can't post at all, only can read posts/threads and report junkers (Confirmed by mods first and how many she/he can reports are limited for each day) on the forum to earn points so he/she can post (set the limit he/she must reach first so she/he can earn 1 post) something to ask or posting some good posts to gain activity(ranked up). You can put some points or karma or something for it. And as reported post you can give the penalty like cutting their 5-10 activity or demoting their ranks or bans..

Example: Newbie can only read some section and only can report (with limited reports for each day) with certain range of time and gain 1 point if it get confirmed by mods.
And a reported post going to get some mark on it, that the post has been reported by who(maybe only the user that make the report can see it and let other only see it as has been reported) and awaiting for mods confirmation.
As the point newbie need to post is around 3 or 5.. And how much activity he/she needed to ranks up is all yours to recalculated it Cheesy.
Once he/she ranked up(Suggesting new rank called matured), there is no need for him/her to do that again.
And when the posts start getting good and junkers reduced.. Then you can start using some giveaway ranks up or some certain ranks can give 3 or 5 "In guidance" badge to the newbie so they can matured right away and those ranks that giving it will take responsible for it too.

The logic of this idea is now all "Newbie" need to help mods clean up the forum first by reading the forum threads than start posting an already answered questions around and all the ID farmer going to stop their doing (Spams or post junks) because of it. (He/she gonna need to report 3-5 post of his/her spammers comrade to earn one post or activity.) And when we giving them -5 or 10 activity each report.. Then they will start posting good posts and afraid of the newbies that wanted to ranks up.

The cons of this idea is:
- Newbie will feel having hard time on this forum at first round.
- Too much work for admin and mods at the first round..
- Some of ranked members will screaming like crazy old hags.
- Some High Ranked members will REFUSE this idea (LOL).
- (Open suggestion what another cons of it)

The pros of this idea is:
- All the member of the forum is matured(already know the rules and spend some time to read first than posting right away) members.
- All the high ranked is really a good quality post's members.
- All the high ranked ID will skyrockets and all scammer will think twice now as the price of high ranked ID is skyrockets.
- Some High ranked will be happy with this idea (BTC_BTC)
- (Open suggestion what another pros of it)

Might happened:
- Lower the forum traffic..
- New member feel not worth it.
- Real Investor/inventor see this forum as an official Bitcoin forum talks.
- It's temporary solution, can be changed again.
- (Open suggestion for what might happened)

yrreg ger

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:26:23 PM

I have also wandered around this forum and choose to concentrate reading in the Beginners and Help Section. It was really helpful because the pinned posts there will give answers to basic questions and also give information about the forum and how to stay in this forum without getting red trust and worst, be banned. I recommend newbies to read first about bitcoin and read on that section to avoid asking basic questions and if you want to clarify something then it is time to ask.
sgenuine

Activity: 854
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:25:15 AM

Hey, newbies spamming and shit-posting problem getting worse everyday. Some users suggested to bring back the noob jail, others decided to only visiting some subs (or left?).
The question is clear and i will not vote but what i suggest is to prohibit the newbies from posting except for copper member newbies (small fine/contribution or wait a month!).

No, i do not see any reason why newbies must not start a new topic. This is a sign of discrimination. They also wish to be active and ask their questions.
InvoKing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 05:26:24 PM

No, i do not see any reason why newbies must not start a new topic. This is a sign of discrimination. They also wish to be active and ask their questions.

Asking the same questions over and over is simply called spam. They can post in beginners and help section and use the search function to find the answers.
Take a look how many newbies asked about the activity / tanks while there is a sticky topic about it...

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Cyberczar

Activity: 368
Merit: 100

Crypto and blockchain writing service

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:24:17 PM

A few months ago I was there, a newbie myself. What we have to understand is that different people have different motives of joining the forum. However, for most the reason is pecuniary.

I found this forum while researching about Bitcoin and how to earn it. Let me surprise you. This forum popped up on Google search on account sale. A member trying to sell either a Hero or Full member account (I don't remember which) in another forum, not even in Bitcointalk.

I was just curious there's a forum whose membership is valuable enough that accounts are being sold. When I came here, I started reading and there was a recurring theme - signature campaign.

The reason most people are here is not that they wanted to learn. They are here to earn money one way or the other; you wouldn't blame them, would you? I'm highlighting that because that is the root of spamming and low quality posting.

There have been good suggestions here already but not all are implementable. Some newbies are disciplined people who try to do things right.

The forum should adopt a stick and carrot approach. I believe that a Full member ought to have known the forum rules and people like that who add little value or spam should be sanctioned. Newbies should be warned with temporary ban if they put in effort at posting.

Older members should not just be aloof permitting the moderators to do the work of policing the forum alone.

Older members should routinely post guidance thread with our realisation that most people do not care about reading the stickies.

Signature campaign managers should help in pruning spammers. The mods are doing a great job. Just as some members such as Vod and Condoras and perhaps many others I've not taken note of, Pharmacist, etc.

Crypto and blockchain writing service
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: