Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:25:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] xCrowd*US/UK*TH/s+ Units  (Read 48996 times)
SoggyLettuce

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:41:44 PM

If someone wants to click that sketchy link go ahead but I'm going to wait for someone else to go first or someone get a youtube link.
fiktionist

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:43:33 PM

If someone wants to click that sketchy link go ahead but I'm going to wait for someone else to go first or someone get a youtube link.

no risk no fun Cheesy

liked that post? Official BeerAdress: 12Q9d7tntiQXARjpVSRKnQhzJy4MoAaonL
handytxg

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:44:41 PM

Here we go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:46:16 PM

Based on how this has rolled out and wound down now, I'm assuming it was a confidence scam designed to fool a 3rd party into releasing a large sum of money into Adbi's hands. Who can say whether it was successful or not, but it's pretty clear there never was and will not be a miner from Xcrowd.

No doubt this forum played a part in making the company appear legitimate and to have mainstream interest in buying, and all it took was the magic word 'escrow' for many of you to throw caution to the wind and place orders.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:47:15 PM

Based on how this has rolled out and wound down now, I'm assuming it was a confidence scam designed to fool a 3rd party into releasing a large sum of money into Adbi's hands. Who can say whether it was successful or not, but it's pretty clear there never was and will not be a miner from Xcrowd.

No doubt this forum played a part in making the company appear legitimate and to have mainstream interest in buying, and all it took was the magic word 'escrow' for many of you to throw caution to the wind and place orders.

yup, you win sir. oh well....
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:36:43 PM

As I said;

No, I never said that. I said if legitimate, and if they have private equity funding, as they have claimed, that escrow only facilitates placing those funds in cold storage so to speak. They in effect are preventing you from then spending monies on their direct competitors should a more preferable alternative appear, like purchasing a product in stock should a company clear it's backlog, or a new entrant appear, or alternatively if they suffer a setback, or delay, depending on what the terms of the escrow are.

Certainly from an engineering design stance, those products look wayy too over engineered. I doubt the renders would be final products, and perhaps that questions their legimacy further.

It's a strong visual industrial design concept, but the flaw lies within the amount of parts. Xcrowd are not claiming to use the latest gen chips, they have an even smaller finite period of use.

When you design a product concept for retail, you make it aestheically pleasing.

When you finalise the chosen design you ensure it retains as much function as possible whilst reducing the number of parts.

Why?

Because more parts = greater expense which is needless, and more points of failure which is untenable in the long run. If parts fail, or break they will lead to loss of function of the miner = loss of profit for the miner = headache and more expense for both the miner and the company manufacturing/selling to the consumer.

When I studied engineering I hated taking my beautiful concepts and having to remove aesthetically pleasing design for boring practicality, but it's a necessity, especially if building in volume for a product where failure is critical. Also these need to be assembled, and fast, more parts = loss of time, more inspection, more hands to employ, and more expense w.r.t. assembly, bearing in mind these guys intend to undercut and compete on margins.

Which is why unflattering metal boxes with a few fans and a chip populated pcb board is the way to go...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Anenome5

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:03:15 AM

If I'd have been thinking I would've gotten a Bitbet going Tongue

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 02:40:44 AM

Well, no one lost any money, I guess. Still kind of amazing people weren't able to pick up on the mega-scammyness.

If I'd have been thinking I would've gotten a Bitbet going Tongue

Heh, could have made some money.

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

This still happening?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Anenome5

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 07:27:31 PM

This still happening?
Nope! The scam has run its course undoubtedly.

AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:13:11 AM

This still happening?

You mean the next time some anonymous 23 year old online women's clothing vendor wants to take tens of millions of dollars in preorders, we'll need to think twice ?
Anenome5

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:33:04 AM

This still happening?

You mean the next time some anonymous 23 year old online women's clothing vendor wants to take tens of millions of dollars in preorders, we'll need to think twice ?
I'm honestly expecting him still to pop up and rag on all the people who put in for pre-orders and announce the whole thing a ploy to test people's gullibility when it comes to miners.

Maybe his whole con was to take the money of those unscrupulous people who will contact a miner-builder and offer cash to move to the top of the line (as KNC had recently admitted they'd been besieged with, and what is probably what happened to Avalon's chips).

The conman conning a conman is one of the best cons there is, he may reason. Take the money of someone trying to cheat the system.

AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 03:46:37 AM

Cool website anyway.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 04:40:11 AM

I wish I could have gotten a response from TSMC, would have been nice to be able to post something official so this thread stops popping up in my "Show new replies to your posts."

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
btc_uzr

Activity: 476

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:52:50 PM

[FYI] SSL certificate for domain xcrowd.co.uk has been revoked.

..and Thou shalt spread the coin in the name of cryptography for eternity
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 04:15:16 PM

Where is JohnyBigs??
JohnyBigs

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 05:35:08 PM

Where is JohnyBigs??

Right hurr
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 07:16:58 PM

Smiley

What do you think? Scam or not? Honest question, honest answer...
JohnyBigs

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 08:04:23 PM

Smiley

If we take the definition of scam technically, then no. Xcrowd took in $0 dollars, can't really call it a scam. One person mentioned a 3rd party scam, even that doesn't qualify. Showing an investor proof of market and actual demand, to raise funding doesn't classify as a scam either.

As of right now the only thing we can do is wait. There is no point in coming up with random assumptions. Either way people will almost never get a return on their investment with current hardware prices and sales. When you ran some calculations x-crowds units were negative.

When the hardware manufacturers decide to pursue normal business operations with normal margins, instead of insane 1000% profit margins, than it might make sense to buy hardware again. Until then I have bought shares in Labcoin and Icedrill to leverage the buying power.

The only way to make any money of hardware now is if you have a massively huge amount of money, hence the shares in the companies mentioned above. Or if Bitcoin's price skyrockets, but until that happens I will just sit on the sidelines before purchasing any overpriced, or hardware that is pre ordered.
Anenome5

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

If we take the definition of scam technically, then no. Xcrowd took in $0 dollars, can't really call it a scam.

We don't know that for sure.

One person mentioned a 3rd party scam, even that doesn't qualify. Showing an investor proof of market and actual demand, to raise funding doesn't classify as a scam either.
It does if he runs away with the funding money after it's released to him.

As of right now the only thing we can do is wait. There is no point in coming up with random assumptions.
You'll probably never hear from him again; the scam has run its course.

If it's not a scam it's probably a test of this site, or some journalist writing a story on asic scams and we'll find out about it then. Perhaps if it was a journalist the goal was to find out how many people would try to bribe an ASIC manufacturer to get to the front of the line. The whole thing could be research on a story into BFL's foibles and corruption.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: