Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:13:05 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 fan not spinning - XFX RADEON 7970 925M 3GB - advice needed  (Read 28369 times)
nottm28 (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:28:04 PM

Hi, I noticed the temperature increased on one of my XFX 7970's from 70 degrees C to 80 all of a sudden.

When I examined the card, one of the fans was only just about spinning - very slowly. Needless to say I have powered down that pc - but I thought I would ask for advice here as this must have happened to a few of you guys.

Thanks

donations not accepted
johndough

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

Have you tried XFX support? They're slow but they did reply to my ticket with the same issue and offer to send a replacement fan unit.
greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Hi, I noticed the temperature increased on one of my XFX 7970's from 70 degrees C to 80 all of a sudden.

When I examined the card, one of the fans was only just about spinning - very slowly. Needless to say I have powered down that pc - but I thought I would ask for advice here as this must have happened to a few of you guys.

Thanks

I'm assuming you've already taken canned air/air compressor to it to clean it out, reset the fan power connectors if you haven't already. I would get a warranty claim going on the card if you can, as if it's the bearing in the fan you'll have to replace the HSF with an aftermarket cooler if you don't go through the MFG. Sometimes you can get the bearing unstuck by just turning the fan a few times to free it up, but the bearing is usually still going bad and should be replaced in this case.
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:38:47 PM

Have you tried XFX support? They're slow but they did reply to my ticket with the same issue and offer to send a replacement fan unit.

Yes done that - waiting for a response with a ticket open. I also raised it with amazon since the seller refused to reply to me emails and will likely soon get a refund.

But it seems such a waste (even if I get my money back) to not even try to fix the card...

donations not accepted
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:42:24 PM

Thanks

I'm assuming you've already taken canned air/air compressor to it to clean it out, reset the fan power connectors if you haven't already. I would get a warranty claim going on the card if you can, as if it's the bearing in the fan you'll have to replace the HSF with an aftermarket cooler if you don't go through the MFG. Sometimes you can get the bearing unstuck by just turning the fan a few times to free it up, but the bearing is usually still going bad and should be replaced in this case.

I haven't done anything as yet - so canned air compressor to clean it out - will do thanks. It's only 3 months old btw. I did turn the fan manually and felt no obvious resistance so it could also be the power connectors - thanks for that too. Will update later.

donations not accepted
greenbtc

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:50:42 PM

Thanks

I haven't done anything as yet - so canned air compressor to clean it out - will do thanks. It's only 3 months old btw. I did turn the fan manually and felt no obvious resistance so it could also be the power connectors - thanks for that too. Will update later.

You can also try moving the fan while it has power to it (sometimes this is what will free up the bearing), but if it still doesn't free up with power on, power the unit back off. As for it being a waste, the MFG will simply replace the HSF and resell the card as a refurbished, so it wont completely go to waste (or they will use it as a RMA replacement for another card that went completely dead). It is annoying that something as little as a cheap bearing can cause the frustration, though. Smiley
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:05:12 PM

You can also try moving the fan while it has power to it (sometimes this is what will free up the bearing), but if it still doesn't free up with power on, power the unit back off. As for it being a waste, the MFG will simply replace the HSF and resell the card as a refurbished, so it wont completely go to waste (or they will use it as a RMA replacement for another card that went completely dead). It is annoying that something as little as a cheap bearing can cause the frustration, though. Smiley

Ok, I took it out and now I noticed that the fan does have a resistance to spinning - the good fan spins for ages when I give it a flick but the bad fan comes to a stop very quickly (1 or 2 revs). I air blew it and it made no difference so it looks like your call for the bearing being broke is correct. Pity I can't replace the fan myself.

Guess I'll wait for a refund from amazon, then carry on with the XFX support ticket and see if I can get it replaced - thanks green/john - saved me loads of googling.

donations not accepted
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:50:13 PM

Ok, I took it out and now I noticed that the fan does have a resistance to spinning - the good fan spins for ages when I give it a flick but the bad fan comes to a stop very quickly (1 or 2 revs). I air blew it and it made no difference so it looks like your call for the bearing being broke is correct. Pity I can't replace the fan myself.

Guess I'll wait for a refund from amazon, then carry on with the XFX support ticket and see if I can get it replaced - thanks green/john - saved me loads of googling.

Welcome to the world of 100% fan running haha. Yeah, I have burned out my fair share of fans.  If you do not keep them cleaned and oiled with routine maintenance they will burn out the bearings.  I have a 5830 that I burned the fan out on because I mined with it for months straight with the fan at 100%.  Now, I have a 92mm Delta fan zip tied to it keeping it cool (after taking off the stock fan).

If you cant get one from XFX, you can pick up an aftermarket heatsink and fan from someone like Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
greenbtc

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:59:10 PM

No problem. Good luck in whatever path you go down.
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:05:25 PM

This one?

Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 08:11:59 PM

Doing a solid for a newbie....

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250788.msg2663496#msg2663496

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 08:56:58 PM

This one?

Yes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006VX52Q2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

donations not accepted
philips

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:20:10 PM

Same issues for me, same card.
The fan near the  VGA connector got almost stuck (while the other even now is still OK).
I had to lube it and for a while seemed OK but soon enough it started to wobble and got stuck again.
At a close inspection I noticed the axle was seriously eroded.

The only thing I can do is lube it periodically (and yeah, I ordered a replacement).
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:25:20 PM

Same issues for me, same card.
The fan near the  VGA connector got almost stuck (while the other even now is still OK).
I had to lube it and for a while seemed OK but soon enough it started to wobble and got stuck again.
At a close inspection I noticed the axle was seriously eroded.

The only thing I can do is lube it periodically (and yeah, I ordered a replacement).

Yeah same fan - near the VGA connector - so you still mine with it running at a higher temp?

[EDIT] XFX support got back to me saying I should raise it with the re-seller - I told them my emails were ignored and asked whether the manufacturers guarantee will cover me - will update

donations not accepted
philips

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:00:30 PM

I think the fan is failing because is the one just above the GPU and very close to radiator.
Probably due to intense heat the cheap plastic is getting softer, the axle is then not stiff enough and starts to wobble accelerating the damage.

It seems to be somehow better now that I undervolted the card (less heat).
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:33:58 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2013, 09:57:06 PM by nottm28

Update:

Refund came through from amazon so now I'm left with a semi working card - XFX state they don't offer manufacturers warranty (cos they sell them so cheap) and besides I have already been refunded - any ideas what to do with this card that still works with one fan?

donations not accepted
nottm28 (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:50:21 PM

Decided to auction it - seems a waste - it can still mine - maybe someone can use it

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253156.msg2693601#msg2693601

donations not accepted
Zalfrin

Activity: 401

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:47:36 PM

This is a late reply, but my advice to anyone having this problem would be to figure out a way to fix it yourself. I went the RMA route with an MSI card and ended up being down a graphics card for 6 months. Process was ridiculously slow and the first replacement they sent me was DOA.

Good luck with sale, I'm sure someone can use it.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:13:10 AM

This is a late reply, but my advice to anyone having this problem would be to figure out a way to fix it yourself. I went the RMA route with an MSI card and ended up being down a graphics card for 6 months. Process was ridiculously slow and the first replacement they sent me was DOA.

Good luck with sale, I'm sure someone can use it.

I can second this. Had many fans fail on XFX 5870s. The RMA process is a nightmare and in the end the supplier refused to give back the cards and refunded only 40% of the original price. :S

They had only fan failures otherwise working ok. For the last few I managed to order fans, but it was a pain to get the proper ones.
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 04:13:29 AM

Hello
I repaired a 7850, it only cost me U$D 20, and now is super silent, and extremely cool.
I used Arctic F8 Fans.

check second post (with pictures): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=256311.0

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: