Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:00:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is no Premine so important to the value of altcoins?  (Read 213 times)
Steven-o (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:31:00 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 04:52:34 AM by Steven-o

It seems like it shouldn't matter if the altcoin is premined or not.

are there successful examples of an altcoin that's been premined?
Bibimboop

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:32:48 AM

I think it depends on what the plan for the premine is. So without context I think it's unfair to say that a premine hurts the value of a coin
Ch1bi

Activity: 289
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:45:19 AM

It seems like it shouldn't matter if the altcoin is premined or not.

It depends on what the premine is for. Sometimes developers use a premine for bounties and other events to promote the coin. However some may just premine to keep a lot of coins to themselves. This could be bad for several reasons. For example, what if the developer premined a lot of the coin and dropped all their coins at once? That would really hurt the price of the coin.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:57:39 AM

Well this is of course very important

How can you start a trustless decentralised currency if most of the minting or a huge % is in the hands of one person with no ledger.

They can control and collude to control the entire market.

Please do a lot more homework before investing in anything.

If there is a full transparent ledger this is something different but again it is hard to validate the spending is not to themselves or pals.

The initial distribution is the most important part for ensuring no scam.

bribed

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:15:10 AM

I think it depends on what the plan for the premine is. So without context I think it's unfair to say that a premine hurts the value of a coin

I agree with that comment. In some cases a premine does make sense, whereas it can hurt a coin (or the trust in it) in other cases. For example, if a dev premines, lets say 20% of the total supply for himself before he announces the blockchain, it can be a huge trustissue and the possibility that this dev just dumping constantly on the market.
ceyceyki

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

Renewable Energy Cryptocurrency

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:37:31 AM

Premine is important for them because they hold their coin and they do not want to sell. But even if they are scam they are selling when their coin is in exchange market.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:42:35 AM

Well this is of course very important

How can you start a trustless decentralised currency if most of the minting or a huge % is in the hands of one person with no ledger.

They can control and collude to control the entire market.

Please do a lot more homework before investing in anything.

If there is a full transparent ledger this is something different but again it is hard to validate the spending is not to themselves or pals.

The initial distribution is the most important part for ensuring no scam.

Cryptohunter nailed it, Bitcoin is trustless, decentralized and premined coins are not. They're taking steps backwards instead of forward.

Not your keys, not your coins!
burnedbyfees

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

Because many new coins are a scam and the devs often can't develop much at all. They simply bring out a shitcoin, build hype, disappear and dump, rinse and repeat with new social media names. If there's no premine it's less likely, though sometimes they lie about having no premine (Xios did).

Be wary of any dev who's a newbie on here and who doesn't demonstrate skill early on in the coins life.

This is a good opportunity for me to shill you on Phore, a new coin with a team that actually know how to fucking code and have demonstrated it, somewhat of a rarity these days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: