Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:38:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eMunie the only unique and interesting alt-coin out of all these sh*tcoins  (Read 3667 times)
pinarello

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

NXT is the future

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:00:47 AM

You're wrong actually, it is being premined by the EMU Foundation. It may also be closed source.

dont call it that way, they need eMunie for the working, and would you like your hard work get copyed on day two from start up. give it some time to mature and make it then open source.

and most of all this isnt even an "alt coin" this is totaly new innovation.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 09:08:24 AM

Thought I would chime in over here and clear some of these "issues" up Smiley

Closed source

Initially the intention was to throw this out as open source when released, and it still was until recently, but I had a number of concerns.

Firstly, this isn't just a simple BTC rip off, it's a totally new code base, that lends a few BTC ideas and nothing more.  I've spent a lot of time, invested a lot, will continue to invest a lot more, and have a long term plan of where I want this to go.  Putting it out as open source to start with would leave eMunie and that goal open to being undermined by "script kiddies" that just rip it and copy/paste it and throw out their own. 

I do this full time, its an endeavor by myself, funded by myself, I have no additional income at present other than financial investments and live off my rewards of my previous projects.  I'm sure anyone would be pretty pissed if that was the case for them, and some nobody came along and stole all that hard work and your thunder.

Additionally to that, eMunie will not just stop at the currency, a faucet and a gambling site (I'm being coy of course to make a point).  I have in the works a LOT of infrastructure that will spring up around it, to ensure mass adoption and longevity of the project, instead of it just stagnating like BTC and others.  That is going to cost me to set up, and not a small amount either, and any alt's early on could take advantage of this infrastructure and again, reap from our hard work.

For those reasons, eMunie will stay closed for 12 months.  I'm open to individuals obtaining a copy of the source code with full disclosure, an NDA agreement and such, if they want to verify as a 3rd party there is no dishonest code in there, but for now, that is as far as I am willing to go.

Premine

Firstly, anyone that thinks we/I shouldn't be allowed to recoup at least my investment through a pre-allocation is living in a dream world.  I have to eat after-all and as stated above this is a full time project using my own funds.

Past that, the allocation will be there for a number of reasons, to support the infrastructure, giveaways, and hopefully in the future, an eMu will be worth enough that allows the pre-allocation fund future development and services to support it.

Finally, due to the nature of the model we are using, a pre-allocation is needed to buffer any initial inflationary spikes, as this could lead to very early adopters having a huge advantage over everyone else.

eMunie is supposed to be fair, and without that, it would not be.

Consensus

Both the above points have been discussed extensively with the current community supporting eMunie, both of which were shown high agreement when looking at the overall picture.

If you weren't in on the discussions, then maybe you should of been a part of the small community and could of voiced your opinion.  I do not make these decisions, the community does.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:25:18 AM

It's hard to remember sometimes, when we're caught up in our heads and the forum drama, that there's a real world out there.

Fuserleer, don't sweat it man, you're way out ahead of the field right now.

Nobody who wants to do real business with your product is worried about you making a buck off of it, and most of the clear heads here have seen that some coins in hand up front is a necessity for getting things done.

Same for the open source bit. 

Every time someone comes in this forum and talks about being the first to do something you and your team have done, I have a good laugh about it. Keep it up man.  Every person who ever visited this forum could hate on your coin, it's still going places.
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:34:56 AM

I've spent a lot of time, invested a lot, will continue to invest a lot more, and have a long term plan of where I want this to go.  Putting it out as open source to start with would leave eMunie and that goal open to being undermined by "script kiddies" that just rip it and copy/paste it and throw out their own.
Wrong.
As long as it's closed source it is by no way worth of any trust, hence nobody will use it, hence you will have wasted your time spent coding.
Keeping it closed source will have exactly the effect you think it is preventing instead.

Either you release the sources or don't bother releasing at all: it may or it may not be successful, but as long as it's closed, it's certain it won't be.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 09:38:15 AM

I've spent a lot of time, invested a lot, will continue to invest a lot more, and have a long term plan of where I want this to go.  Putting it out as open source to start with would leave eMunie and that goal open to being undermined by "script kiddies" that just rip it and copy/paste it and throw out their own.
Wrong.
As long as it's closed source it is by no way worth of any trust, hence nobody will use it, hence you will have wasted your time spent coding.
Keeping it closed source will have exactly the effect you think it is preventing instead.

Either you release the sources or don't bother releasing at all: it may or it may not be successful, but as long as it's closed, it's certain it won't be.

Strange, I've developed closed source projects before that required major trust from the user base and those did just fine.  If they hadn't I wouldn't be in a position to do this.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 09:46:36 AM

Wrong.

You're an idiot. How many times have you inspected the code base of newly released coins? Virtually everyone here - even those that are more savvy than most - just git clone && make -f src/makefile.whatever (or for those less savvy, they grab the precompiled binaries). Being open source does not automatically indicate that it is safe. Being open source does not mean that the precompiled binaries are not loaded with trojan code. Being closed source does not preclude trust.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:49:02 AM

I've spent a lot of time, invested a lot, will continue to invest a lot more, and have a long term plan of where I want this to go.  Putting it out as open source to start with would leave eMunie and that goal open to being undermined by "script kiddies" that just rip it and copy/paste it and throw out their own.
Wrong.

Damn someone better get out there and explain that to all the worlds top software companies before its too late.... Roll Eyes
mrvegad

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 11:34:12 AM

Wrong.

You better let Microsoft know this, they could be losing billions.
NickCoin

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:59:33 PM

this is getting more and more entertaining Wink
mrvegad

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 08:12:47 PM

Lohoris - your original post made u look like an idiot so u edited it but guess what?  You r still an idiot.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:46:11 AM

Strange, I've developed closed source projects before that required major trust from the user base and those did just fine.  If they hadn't I wouldn't be in a position to do this.
I bet those projects weren't digital currencies, aiming to be an alternative to centrally controlled modern currencies, yes?

You need context of course. Some programs will be fine as closed source, some others need to be open to be taken seriously.
I didn't think I had to explain you that, but apparently a whole bunch of fucking retard assholes spawned here.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 11:11:53 AM

Strange, I've developed closed source projects before that required major trust from the user base and those did just fine.  If they hadn't I wouldn't be in a position to do this.
I bet those projects weren't digital currencies, aiming to be an alternative to centrally controlled modern currencies, yes?

You need context of course. Some programs will be fine as closed source, some others need to be open to be taken seriously.
I didn't think I had to explain you that, but apparently a whole bunch of fucking retard assholes spawned here.

I Think really Lohoris brings up legitimate questions - there is probably no need to attack each other here yet.

I totally agree that environment matters as i said previously, i'm a eMu supporter because i support  any diversification that will lead to evolution same with "Decrits" .

I don't think Lohoris was attacking the principal so much as making statements about the  environment in which these systems exist.

that being said , I also understand that eMu has a lofty goal of changing or shifting that environment.

I will state that for that to happen , other things will have to move or appear to move to us the observers. 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:15:31 PM

I Think really Lohoris brings up legitimate questions - there is probably no need to attack each other here yet.

I totally agree that environment matters as i said previously, i'm a eMu supporter because i support  any diversification that will lead to evolution same with "Decrits" .

I don't think Lohoris was attacking the principal so much as making statements about the  environment in which these systems exist.

that being said , I also understand that eMu has a lofty goal of changing or shifting that environment.

I will state that for that to happen , other things will have to move or appear to move to us the observers. 
Thank you, I'm very relieved to see some people actually do think out there : )

NickCoin

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:30:31 PM

honestly?

Any talk now is just speculation. If people want to bring examples of failed coins, such as RuCoin, Ripple, etc. because they were closed source, think again!

Don't confuse correlation vs. causation.

They failed because they added no innovation/value and they appeared to be just GRQ schemes for the devs, that's why closed source did not work for them. Talking environment!
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 12:53:55 PM

honestly?

Any talk now is just speculation. If people want to bring examples of failed coins, such as RuCoin, Ripple, etc. because they were closed source, think again!

Don't confuse correlation vs. causation.

They failed because they added no innovation/value and they appeared to be just GRQ schemes for the devs, that's why closed source did not work for them. Talking environment!

Honestly.

I think you should take a step back , I'm no enemy of eMuni I'm here to benefit myself and some of humanity , i will be johnny on the spot supporting eMuni when it is released if i think it is viable .

I have no large stake in any other system, I really don't see an eMuni type system as a threat to Nibble as the environment sits right now. 

I think the market is infinitely large enough for many Crypto/digital  distributed currency systems , and with the slow motion train crash of the "western" Empire a vast degree larger.

have you ever stopped as thought about this:

Bitcoin has a CNN ticker, and a ETF soon, and most people in the world don't have a clue as to what it is.

now information environments are my thing , so i will have to see if i can be innovative and successful in the promotion of Nibble , it being fixed and rare - but a transactional money system is a whole different world.

so you see , there is a large market out there .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:02:46 PM

Let me clarify the pre-mine and closed source accusations:
There will be EMU Foundation at the beginning, as stated in this latest update:
http://forum.emunie.com/threads/emunie-latest-technical-and-feature-set-ramblings-29th-june-2013.143/

The foundation will consist of several key members who contributed to the project, and not just the founder Fuserleer. The members of the Foundation will be voted by others and no one can just buy their way into the foundation without genuine contribution.

The Foundation will have a certain amount of reserve set at the beginning for these purposes:
  • giveaway to people
  • fund project development
  • bounties for various services
  • buffer the high initial interest rate due to rapid network growth (so early adopters will not gain huge unfair advantages like Bitcoin or all other altcoins so far)

All spending from this Foundation reserve will be reported publicly on a quarterly basis.

eMunie will be closed source at the begining because of these reasons:
  • agile deployment (the client will be constantly updated, improved until we find a nice balance where the network becomes stable), after this period, it will be open-source
  • stop copycat alt munies

What is the hype surrounding emunie again? This sounds exactly like Ripple but with a 'mining' network.
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:04:03 PM

Still, it's use of "interest" to early adopters is very ponzi-like and really will only harm the currency in the long-run.

I try to understand your logic of something having interest as being a Ponzi-scheme.

According to Wikipedia, ponzi scheme means only the early adopters get the benefit, while the laggards head off to lose. But my understanding of eMunie system is that everyone will get the benefits from interest, early adopters only get better interest when the network grows, but that doesn't hinder the laggards from gaining profits either.

And since there is no cap on how many EMu can be minted per year, nor total amount of EMU ever to exist, how can the late comers lose? if not out of their own stupidity?

On the other hand, Bitcoin, is definitely a true definition of ponzi-scheme, even it may lack some characteristics as pointed out by some economists.

The inflation is going to be huge. But I haven't read enough about this coin to make a proper assessment.
NickCoin

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:17:27 PM

What is the hype surrounding emunie again? This sounds exactly like Ripple but with a 'mining' network.

yeah, you better read the article from the latest update link above before making a judgement and calling it Ripple - nothing in common.
mechs (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:55:27 AM

No doubt plenty of software applications which serve a purpose can be HIGHLY successful being closed source.  I mean who would not trust microsoft or apple (joking?).  However, open source is the best way to have the most progress with the least resources - just look at Linux, an open source project which I think most would agree is a bit more secure than Windows:)

But cryptocurrencies in particular need to be open source since trust is essential.  People "trust" the alt coins since they are all just clones of bitcoin which has huge trust since its source code has been scruitinized under a microscope by very smart and able coders in the community. EMunie being a totally new code base does not inherit any of this trust these alt-coins will.  The reason the alt-coins fail is not due to trust, it is due to they offer nothing new and any are very unfair due to pre-mining.  Satoshi only pre-mined the first two blocks (and the first block the coins are inaccessible) then released it to the commuity.   Those fortunate ones who saw the potential (or were just messing around) did well - and I bet many sold long long before the massive price appreciation.

I think any closed source crypto-currency is doomed to fail since success requires wide spread adoption which will not occur.  Not in the enthusiast crypto-nerd communities who need to serve as the base for these types of projects and are critical to helping them get established.  A pre-mine, even though not an automatic fail, definitely greatly reduces enthusiasm for the system. 

The fact is the worry that someone will "steal" the open source code and steal eMunies thunder is an unrealistic problem. Look at bitcoin, it is opensource and none of these altcoins, even Litecoin, has a fraction of the following.  Hell, most peopl who mine litecoins I suspect just convert them to bitcoins on the exchanges! If eMunie is a great and novel currency that serves an unmet need in an innovative manner, it will be adopted and people will stick with it versus script kiddie knock-offs since it will be the established parent currency.  First mover advantage is everything as is the allure of being with the official currency and not some hack.

I mine primecoins for example...why?  Do someday trade them for bitcoins:)
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:16:36 AM

Hey, at least he's trying to pack his shit(-coin) in a nice package, gotta give him credit for that right...?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: