Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:57:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sustainability of BTC  (Read 856 times)
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:54:28 PM

With the power requirements to run the BTC network continually increasing... what is the long term solution?  It doesn't seem viable that it can go on forever like this.  Anyone have good insight?  It's easy to just assume... "well there will be cheaper energy in the future" or "BTC will just switch to POS".... I guess I'm looking for answers with a little more substance and detail.  Thanks! 
I also do not really understand and understand the miner's issues, but it seems to me that soon bitcoin will replace a more promising and profitable currency. Which will be more profitable to mine. For example, such currency as Bitshares.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptozond

Activity: 327
Merit: 100

★BREATH-BASED illness diagnostic★

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 08:23:53 PM

I found many interesting statements in this thread. The problem is really urgent and the solution is needed in the near future. Still, the development of alternative energy sources is very important now

KEPLER99

Activity: 448
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:37:33 AM

With the power requirements to run the BTC network continually increasing... what is the long term solution?  It doesn't seem viable that it can go on forever like this.  Anyone have good insight?  It's easy to just assume... "well there will be cheaper energy in the future" or "BTC will just switch to POS".... I guess I'm looking for answers with a little more substance and detail.  Thanks! 
I do not really understand and understand the issue of miners, but it seems to me that soon bitcoin will replace a more promising and profitable currency. Which will be more profitable to mine. For example, such currency as Bitshares. Cool Roll Eyes
It is just your dreams. Dude what had been so far regarding bitcoin do you really thin Bit shares will make this happen even in upcoming years. No that wouldn’t be happening. Bitcoin is amazing and this is sure to all those who had a little confusion for selecting bitcoins amongst other coins. So better is to accept the reality and go for better solution that is try more bitcoins and earn more.
musliyevich

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 12:49:00 PM

price will make energy bill small bitcoin can’t be POS.

you can earn 1 bitcoin from mining (20000$ and more )

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 03:22:26 PM

price will make energy bill small bitcoin can’t be POS.

you can earn 1 bitcoin from mining (20000$ and more )
You are correct that "bitcoin can’t be POS"

But when you say "price will make energy bill small" you are mistaken. 

Read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2465881.0

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
chamoisgeks

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 10:40:59 AM

Bitcoin mining is a sustainable way to earn bitcoins, eventhough the energy consumption would only get higher, we would have probably been able to mine all bitcoins before it becomes a unsustainly source for earning bitcoins.
gigatux

Activity: 343
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 01:38:46 PM

This is actually a good question to all.How do you imagine BTC in the near future? would it go on forever? or would it be replaced by a better cryptocurrency? so how to sustain bitcoin?
Well BTC currently is one of the top-notching in the cryptocurrency industry and it can sustain maybe up unto 3-4 years but if it excels those years I think it would be great since it can be more profitable but we will never know. It might be destroy even before those 3-4 years and we should be ready and prepare ourselves.
seahay

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 08:22:36 AM

There is a probability that only miners that have the capability of using efficient mining hardware could continue to mine; given that they also have lower electricity costs.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 02:08:33 PM

Bitcoin mining is a sustainable way to earn bitcoins, eventhough the energy consumption would only get higher, we would have probably been able to mine all bitcoins before it becomes a unsustainly source for earning bitcoins.
Bold predictions for the year 2140 (when the last Bitcoin is mined) from a newb.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 04:45:57 PM

This problem has been an issue years back. Miners are quite aware of this issue in the first place that's why asic mining was born. Using asic consumes less power but with big hash power. However, the issue still arises that's why pool mining takes into action. By mining in pools, mining became more efficient.
But the issue is still there. Bitcoin will not turn into a POS because of this. Bitcoin will remain a POW but power consumption will still be a problem. Maybe an upgrade to asic will be a way to deal with this but we all know that this would be just temporary. There is no permanent aid to this. Sooner or later, we will see only major miners will exist due to this issue.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 04:54:59 PM

This problem has been an issue years back. Miners are quite aware of this issue in the first place that's why asic mining was born. Using asic consumes less power but with big hash power. However, the issue still arises that's why pool mining takes into action. By mining in pools, mining became more efficient.
But the issue is still there. Bitcoin will not turn into a POS because of this. Bitcoin will remain a POW but power consumption will still be a problem. Maybe an upgrade to asic will be a way to deal with this but we all know that this would be just temporary. There is no permanent aid to this. Sooner or later, we will see only major miners will exist due to this issue.
In the long term mining efficiency (CPU, GPU, ASIC, pooling, etc.) only affects the difficulty, not the total power consumption.

Total power consumption is not reduced by more efficient mining.

nicesquawk

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:24:41 AM

Based from what is happening on BTC today, it might be stable for a few years or so, but not in the long run. The savings might be helpful for the future but will be gone in the end.
heartelite

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:47:02 PM

Based from my own prediction, I guess it can’t be that super long-term that lasts for 100 years because sooner or later, tangible objects will be prioritized.
biofancy

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:18:49 PM

In the long run, I don't really think that Bitcoin is sustainable because sooner or later, it will disappear and everything will be back to using tangible cash, just like nothing happened.
fanbeila

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:54:02 PM

Already many have started to raise the issue that bitcoin mining is consuming huge power.So,in the future,we must shift to solar power or green power to sustain.

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.PLATINUM  STABLECOINS
..USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ...

─────────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
...FACEBOOK... .....TWITTER..... ...TELEGRAM...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: