Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:59:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how safe is bitcoin to use with phone  (Read 595 times)
ridhonofri23

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 07:17:09 PM

So eventually bitcoin is gonna have to compete with credit cards and mobile payments. To do this people will need to have a bitcoin mobile app.

I know there are the lightweight wallet mobile apps. Are those any safe? Will those be the future. Or will the future be having a hosted service where the company has control over your bitcoin and you can just send them to pay with stuff with the mobile app? Like Square recent integration of Bitcoin.

I don't know what options are out there now. But it would seem to me that having a secure offline savings account coupled with a hosted mobile bitcoin service (checking account) for payments would make sense. I mean I guess obviously if you're making payments you can't have everything in cold storage so some compromises on security must be made.
I think saving offline bitcoin on the mobile does not yet exist, if it already exists. It would be helpful to Transact

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paul00

Activity: 854
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 08:41:40 PM

I guess its safe depending on how are you getting your connection in able to open your bitcoin. Personally I manage ny bitcoin mostly thru my phone and I just make sure that I don’t connect to public wifi when I am opening my account. Also, I don’t left my account logged on my cellphone for additional security since people other people might use or stole it.
BusyBeaverHP

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 05:56:30 AM

So eventually bitcoin is gonna have to compete with credit cards and mobile payments. To do this people will need to have a bitcoin mobile app.

I know there are the lightweight wallet mobile apps. Are those any safe? Will those be the future. Or will the future be having a hosted service where the company has control over your bitcoin and you can just send them to pay with stuff with the mobile app? Like Square recent integration of Bitcoin.

I don't know what options are out there now. But it would seem to me that having a secure offline savings account coupled with a hosted mobile bitcoin service (checking account) for payments would make sense. I mean I guess obviously if you're making payments you can't have everything in cold storage so some compromises on security must be made.
I think saving offline bitcoin on the mobile does not yet exist, if it already exists. It would be helpful to Transact

Bitcoin is the most secure cryptocurrency in the world and also the most popular, means that bitcoin is safe in every situation (phone, laptops, ipads). Bitcoin doesn’t depend on these things it only depends on the intelligence of the person who invest.
Rosilito

Activity: 658
Merit: 274

Wish for the rain? Then deal with the mud too.

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:23:30 AM

Just as safe as using computer. Computer and Mobile phone only differ on their functions and the availability of using it. For example for computer, we know that computer can only be use on a specific place like computer shops or even in your home if you have one unlike for mobile phone you can use it in a different places, the only risk of using mobile is that it might get snatched by people easily than compute the same also with computer but it is hard a liitle. Thus, using bitcoin on phone and computer are both safe the risk of getting steal is pretty much higher when using mobile phone.
beatjunkie

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:38:18 AM

imho mobile is deficient to computers...if I had great amounts of crypto I'd only use offline wallets
kpcian

Activity: 826
Merit: 529

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:54:48 AM

The safest way to store bitcoin on a computer. But if you still want to use mobile phone to be able to perform various transactions easily and quickly then I suggest to use service that has 2fa, because with these features then you can get a much better security than services that do not have 2fa features.
I also think that Bitcoin should be used in the Computer but not in a mobile phone. Bitcoin is much valuable and day by day it's becoming a profitable platform that's why all sort of information should be maintained properly. I think the computer or mobile phone doesn't matter, it's a matter of security.

I knew a person who has lost around 100 Bitcoin by crashing of its hard disk. so information should be reserved and properly maintained. that's why the mobile phone is not as much as secure than the computer.
keithieY5

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:30:53 AM

if you download safe apps will be safe.

just make strong password and use away formate will lost your phone
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:31:32 PM

if you download safe apps will be safe.

just make strong password and use away formate will lost your phone

These apps have securuty keys and phrases and also utilizes 2fa so it is safe to use on mobile. It really.depends on the.user if he's going to be careless about it. If you practice safety and security, then you don't have to worry

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
klim80

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:11:20 AM

You just  to be extra careful in all transactions you are doing.Make sure that your private keys are secured by not allowing other people to use your android phones since there are big amounts of profit being kept in your own wallet.
ylnar123

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:18:00 AM

It is safe as using trezor or any other wallet, the only difference is that you can brig your wallet every where yet the security of your wallet is the same. Just make sure that you have a back up records for you wallet, like the password and the email you are using to access the wallet.

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
██████                   A new era of charity                    ██████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
2taps

Activity: 266
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:20:32 AM

I think it is pretty save but you have to be careful with transactions. There are already some apps where you can use your phone to buy coins or sell them and where you can use google authentication for safety. I think that in the future there will be a lot more people who will use their phone for bitcoin.
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:28:21 AM

Yet again, nothing is ever completely safe. But the only thing which is going to leave you with the most control of your bitcoin on a mobile device is only going to be a few wallets, which include BreadWallet. This is due to the fact that they don't store everything and allow you to have complete control of your coins, which means owning your OWN private key.

Plus they allow you to use 2fa, so this does remove the ability of people to steal your coins -- unless they steal your phone but that's an issue with using bitcoin all together.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/ios/ - Check this for some IOS wallets, I'd think they have a tab for android as well.

I can't find it now, but I have read a bitcointalk thread created by the user, who lost his bitcoin in the online wallet because his phone was hacked. He used the phone for 2FA and he had also the relevant wallet webpage address stored in the phone as well. The hackers only needed access his phone and they had access to both: the webpage and the 2FA text message.

Please observe, that if you have your wallet app on the phone and you use THE SAME phone for 2FA, it makes you vulnerable to the similar attack that happened to this other user.

I strongly advice using some other device for 2FA

aakriti

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:33:47 AM

Mobile apps are same safe like desktop applications. There are so many banking and shopping websites are functioning successfully. So Bitcoin will also success on mobile app.
Rrotess

Activity: 264

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:41:47 AM

I think it is safe with phone cause my friends is using their phones to connect with the sites and to earn BTC.
Yeah youre right most of the people now used mobile phone for their connection which capable for us to bring it  wherever we want to go.But just reminded always that we should take good care of our mobile phone especially for the hacker.But even if our phone where hack but the security of Btc wallet was surely safe.
agorkems

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:49:10 AM

I feel 2FA are safer than just saving a private key itself. 2FA gives a second barrier of protection and user will need a password and 2FA verification to get into an account. Now the only issue is that phones are easier to get lost than desktop/laptop  Cry

But currently cryptocurrencies are not so mobile friendly but maybe soon we can see a change on that.
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:54:34 AM

I think it is safe with phone cause my friends is using their phones to connect with the sites and to earn BTC.
Yeah youre right most of the people now used mobile phone for their connection which capable for us to bring it  wherever we want to go.But just reminded always that we should take good care of our mobile phone especially for the hacker.But even if our phone where hack but the security of Btc wallet was surely safe.
You know, your friend using it is hardly the argument that it is safe. People rarely behave rationally and almost never securely.

It is anybody's own decision. But as I said in my earlier post, as a minimum I recommend using a separate device for 2FA (in case your phone gets hacked) and ideally I would use a hardware wallet to serve as a wallet-on-a-go, it is as portable as a phone and much more secure.

bman01

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:56:30 AM

It is safe to use hard wallet to your phone,bt for that you have to use a high qualification phone that can maintain this wallet....If you can do this ,BTC is safe to use with your phone.
kowaitian

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:15:28 PM

Well we should remember that we often loose our phones and they can be cracked, so it's not a good idea. Only if you are completely sure of mobile data security.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: