Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:43:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to recognize scam  (Read 3157 times)
hunnykaushal

Activity: 448
Merit: 137

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:53:25 AM

Good Companies avail most of mentioned below to their community

1. Whitepaper
2. Team detail
3. way to communicate with community ( Telegram , twitter,facebook and others )
4. Good ICO will never promote in this way that you will earn 1000%+ profit on very first month or so.... They talk about project development
5. CEO post videos regularly or come live for AMA for their community.

Let me Give you one of the best ICO recently ended is Nucleus Vision

Few more which are ongoing , coming soon or ended are :
ArcBlock
Wepower
SingularityNet
Cybermiles
Cobinhood

So with experience you will comes to know everything. All the best.
xapwxrm5742

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:41:57 PM

If you want to recognize a scam then you should be ready for spending a little bit more time than you used to be because it needs research so you will be able to find out some information that you can use to help yourself in making a decision for judging an investment and you should be aware of the basic types of scam and one of them is ponzi scheme which is one of the latest used strategy of an investment called bitconnect that stole a lot of people's money.

Scams generally use human greed and ignorance, as well as their desire to make money. In the real sense, what is most horrifying at present is to make use of the concept of digital currency to act as "frivolous even cheating". Therefore, these preventive measures should be taken.
Gabrieelle

Activity: 364
Merit: 267

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:35:32 PM

If you want to recognize a scam then you should be ready for spending a little bit more time than you used to be because it needs research so you will be able to find out some information that you can use to help yourself in making a decision for judging an investment and you should be aware of the basic types of scam and one of them is ponzi scheme which is one of the latest used strategy of an investment called bitconnect that stole a lot of people's money.
Scams generally use human greed and ignorance, as well as their desire to make money. In the real sense, what is most horrifying at present is to make use of the concept of digital currency to act as "frivolous even cheating". Therefore, these preventive measures should be taken.
What you're trying to say is they are taking advantage of the situation, since a lot of people in the cryptocurrency world wants to make money they see it as an opportunity to gain money for their selves. I guess it is really hard now a days to identify which is a scam especially when we are dealing with digital currencies since it is working digitally we can never be sure of anything, we just need to be careful and do a lot of research to prevent this from happening.
Petersha

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:22:06 PM

Hello,

you are actually rite. There are many scam ICO's now a days.

What you can look to avoid scam

1. Go through Whitepaper first
2. Go through Team and try to find their real social profiles
3. Search on google about this project. There are many people who do reviews on ICO's now a days.

Let me give you example of few good projects

1. Cardstack
2. Nucleus Vision
3. Arcblock and many more

One more thing there are many people who will try to scam you by sending fake emails and all. Be aware of them and don't listen to anyone, do your own research before you invest.

All the best
Jose Rizal

Activity: 273
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 03:37:49 PM

Hello everyone!

Today I've read a couple of articles and I've noticed that the most people are used to label each ICO as a scam. That is not fair, I know. Especially when you work in a startup launching ICO and do your best to make a project successful. However, having worked in ICO industry I learned how to recognize a scam just from one conversation with a Founder. I don't know how to explain this feeling. Probably, my subconscious translates knowledge, but I could not say a have a large experience.

So I decided to make a list of scam signs: (and this is just my own opinion)

- A founder and a team are not open.

Talking with a founder is always nice. They are usually full of energy and ready to talk about their project for hours. No matter how tired he/she is: when one is asking about a project, a founder starts talking about it with eyes burn with a fire. No matter who you are. When a founder deflects, tries to escape and avoids it makes you think that he/she just can't tell you anything important. What is more, it is crucial talking to a team. When a team member doesn't know how to answer a simple question about a product, it is also a bad sign.

In case of the lack of opportunity to visit an event and to talk to a team, you always can contact a founder and a team online. They should be open and answer patiently all your difficult questions. Even if you ask it every minute.

- Spending a lot of money on marketing isn't always show professionalism.

Just think. A company needs ICO to raise money for a company development. Isn't it a little bit queerly when an unknown company is too fancy. How? And Why? Why do they need ICO if they already have money on expensive advertisement? I don't know too  Huh

- You know nothing about a founder. And you cant find any information about him/her.

Always google the founder. Always. And now I'm not talking about his/her FB page. I'm talking about his experience, education, photos, events he took part in. A founder should not be a mysterious person who came from nowhere. His background should be open to everyone.

- They don't have a readymade product.

Let's make a sober recognition. The competition is high. In the end of 2017 - the beginning of 2018 you just can't appear with an idea and ask for money. You need to develop your product before ICO. It should not be an amazing one. It could be just prototype. But investors need something real. They need to touch and try your product. However, just 16% of all ICO has a product.

And what do you think about it? What are your signs of a scam?

Well this is such a very informative thread, I do not have any idea how does the scam projects still exist, for the security it mist have been ended, so now I have some idea how to criticize a project whether this will be ok or not, am I going to be profitable in this project, so the assurance before were limited unlike now you have stated some I am thankful.

anti76

Activity: 730

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:10:55 PM

I agree with this one. Everything all comes down to research. Research. Research. Gaining personal knowledge about these things will be helpful. you have noting to lose, only something to gain more. I've encountered a scam project because I was all about applying and investing before, I didn't bother to research about the projects and its team. But in the end, I also learned a lot from it. But please, don't learn things the hard way just like I did. Research.
Cofee.BLUE

Activity: 546

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:15:19 PM

Hello everyone!

Today I've read a couple of articles and I've noticed that the most people are used to label each ICO as a scam. That is not fair, I know. Especially when you work in a startup launching ICO and do your best to make a project successful. However, having worked in ICO industry I learned how to recognize a scam just from one conversation with a Founder. I don't know how to explain this feeling. Probably, my subconscious translates knowledge, but I could not say a have a large experience.

Talking with a founder is always nice. They are usually full of energy and ready to talk about their project for hours. No matter how tired he/she is: when one is asking about a project, a founder starts talking about it with eyes burn with a fire. No matter who you are. When a founder deflects, tries to escape and avoids it makes you think that he/she just can't tell you anything important. What is more, it is crucial talking to a team. When a team member doesn't know how to answer a simple question about a product, it is also a bad sign.

In case of the lack of opportunity to visit an event and to talk to a team, you always can contact a founder and a team online. They should be open and answer patiently all your difficult questions. Even if you ask it every minute.

Just think. A company needs ICO to raise money for a company development. Isn't it a little bit queerly when an unknown company is too fancy. How? And Why? Why do they need ICO if they already have money on expensive advertisement? I don't know too  Huh

- You know nothing about a founder. And you cant find any information about him/her.

Always google the founder. Always. And now I'm not talking about his/her FB page. I'm talking about his experience, education, photos, events he took part in. A founder should not be a mysterious person who came from nowhere. His background should be open to everyone.

Let's make a sober recognition. The competition is high. In the end of 2017 - the beginning of 2018 you just can't appear with an idea and ask for money. You need to develop your product before ICO. It should not be an amazing one. It could be just prototype. But investors need something real. They need to touch and try your product. However, just 16% of all ICO has a product.

If you would analyze the situation it will be easy to reconize the scam obviously compare to other assets that you could earn a big profit bitcoin os really a big advantages and really fast prpfit compare to other but when they incouraging you to earn more than the profit of bitcoin it is obviously a scam something like 20 percent per day.
peterthegreat

Activity: 387

Presale is live!

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:22:58 AM

I've been scammed plenty of times and I've learned that I just shouldn't trust someone so easily, most scams were with small amounts, the reason that I wasn't using an escrow, and some laziness of course.

There's also this great website that I forgot the name of that shows whether websites are a scam and is updated daily, it saved me from at least one scam. Wish I knew it before.   It's a shame that scammers ruin it for the rest, I've had some good opportunities that I didn't get scammed in, if I was less trusting I might have not been scammed so often but I wouuld have missed bigger opportunities too.

▄▄█████████▄▄      █████████████▄▄       █████████████▄▄        █████     █████        █████   ███████████████████    ██▄                ▄██
   ███████████████▄    ████████████████▄     ████████████████▄      █████     ██████       █████   ███████████████████    ████▄            ▄████
  █████▀     ▀▀███▀    █████     ▀▀█████▄    █████     ▀▀█████▄     █████     ███████      █████          █████           ██████▄        ▄██████
 █████          ▀      █████        ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀██     █████     ████████     █████          █████           ████████▄    ▄████████
 █████▄                ███▀▀                                          ▀▀█     █████████    █████          █████            ▀██████▀    ▀██████▀
 ▀██████▄▄               ▄▄▄        ▄████    ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄       ▄         ██████████   █████          █████              ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀
  ▀█████████▄▄         █████     ▄▄█████▀    █████     ▄▄█████▀     ███▄▄       ▀▀█ █████  █████          █████                  ▄██████▄
     ▀▀█████▀  ▄▄▄     ████████████████▀     ████████████████▀      █████     ▄▄     ▀▀▀██ █████          █████                ▄██████████▄
         ▀▀ ▄█████▄    █████████████▀▀       ██████████████▀        █████     ████▄       ▀▀▀███          █████              ▄██████████████▄
             ▀█████    █████                 █████     █████        █████     █████    ▄▄▄                █████            ▄████████▀▀████████▄
 ▄█▄          █████    █████                 █████      █████       █████     █████     █████▄▄▄
          █████           ████████▀    ▀████████
▄████▄▄     ▄█████     █████                 █████       █████      █████     █████      ███████
          ▀████           ██████▀        ▀██████
▀████████████████      █████                 █████        █████     █████     █████       ██████
            ▀██           ████▀            ▀████
  ▀▀██████████▀▀       █████                 █████         █████    █████     █████        █████
              ▀           ██▀                ▀██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
Whitepaper
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread

██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██

Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
magmar

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:27:39 AM

Hello everyone!

For me it is really hard to recognize id the project is scam or not especially they are all looking good at their visuals and their whitepaper. But i always rely on the popularity  the ico when i always see their adss in all over the internet and those manager that are really reliable when it becomes on handling a campaign because that isbtgeir reputation they will not endorse a campaign that are scam. But i always get scam even if i do that it is just a matter of timing.
Altero

Activity: 784
Merit: 123

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:39:06 AM

Scammers are very strategical at this time, it could really hard to find those until one of us may inform the community. That's why careful and enough knowledge towards crypto investment is very important at this time cause it is the only way to help us find those scammers around.
levvv

Activity: 532
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 01:33:48 AM

I think you cannot recognize the scam ICO at early. You must follow their update.
look at their social media, their team, and their project. you must carefully read all about their ICO.
chengyinoing

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 01:39:57 AM

Hello everyone!

We want to find out which ICO is a trick to pay attention to.

1; Use cases do not require blockchains.

2; The repository for open source projects is empty.

3; The mining structure is not proportional to the development team.

4. The project team is unknown or inexperienced.

5; Website/white paper information is not sufficient.

6; There is no clear roadmap.
aleksandra_kickcity (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:54:00 AM

Hello everyone!

We want to find out which ICO is a trick to pay attention to.

1; Use cases do not require blockchains.

2; The repository for open source projects is empty.

3; The mining structure is not proportional to the development team.

4. The project team is unknown or inexperienced.

5; Website/white paper information is not sufficient.

6; There is no clear roadmap.

that is a very good comment! thank you!
loverbitcoin

Activity: 104

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 09:12:02 AM

This are the example that scam is on your looking.

"You're already a winner! You just need to provide us with some personal information in order to claim your prize. We'll need your bank account information so we can deposit your winnings, and we need your social security number, for tax purposes of course."

The previous paragraph was an extreme oversimplification of the basics of a typical online scam, the "real" versions of these scams are much more sophisticated and believable.

Scammers have honed their craft over years and years of trial and error. They've learned what works on people and what doesn't.

Most scams have several things in common. If you can learn to recognize these common elements then you should be able to spot an online scam a mile away, before you get suckered. Let's take a look at several telltale signs of an Internet scam.
Here are some tips for spotting a scam.

Money is Involved
Whether it's a lottery, prize, sweepstakes, phishing, or reshipping scam, money is always involved. They may say that you have won money, that you have been left money, that your money is in danger, etc, but the common element is money. This should be your biggest indicator that you might be looking at a scam.
aleksandra_kickcity (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:26:03 AM

This are the example that scam is on your looking.

"You're already a winner! You just need to provide us with some personal information in order to claim your prize. We'll need your bank account information so we can deposit your winnings, and we need your social security number, for tax purposes of course."

The previous paragraph was an extreme oversimplification of the basics of a typical online scam, the "real" versions of these scams are much more sophisticated and believable.

Scammers have honed their craft over years and years of trial and error. They've learned what works on people and what doesn't.

Most scams have several things in common. If you can learn to recognize these common elements then you should be able to spot an online scam a mile away, before you get suckered. Let's take a look at several telltale signs of an Internet scam.
Here are some tips for spotting a scam.

Money is Involved
Whether it's a lottery, prize, sweepstakes, phishing, or reshipping scam, money is always involved. They may say that you have won money, that you have been left money, that your money is in danger, etc, but the common element is money. This should be your biggest indicator that you might be looking at a scam.

never share your bank and tax information
icemantaurus

Activity: 223
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:46:46 AM

In our world in cryptocurrency scammers are ubiquitous, so don't be careless in joining a campaign.
The fathomable indication is that the ico's campaign are too good to be true, it promises heaven. If you read that type or kind of terms then it's time to be doubtful in joining that campaign.
Blackhammer321

Activity: 400
Merit: 59

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:52:38 AM

Don't be careless and always read. If our technology upgrades and so the scammer too as well as their skills, legitimate sites can be replicate and doubled without noticing by an average person or who don't check site licenses and drivers, its really annoying sometimes and will make you think how they did it.
rohican

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:16:12 PM

One of the biggest signs of a scam is that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. The whole point of an ICO is to make money if the project has a lot of promise it could all well be a good idea. If the founders won't talk answer questions then that has to raise doubts.
I agree with you. It must be careful in choosing the project we want to follow. We should look at all aspects of the project if it is doubtful it is better not to join. But if you convince you please join the project.
peterpeterpeter

Activity: 167

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:23:19 PM

All person are afraid and don't like to be a victims of scammer
So they must be more censorious.
 much better to inquire and investigate the campaign if it is legit or not.
johanesrobin

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:27:25 PM

One of the biggest signs of a scam is that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. The whole point of an ICO is to make money if the project has a lot of promise it could all well be a good idea. If the founders won't talk answer questions then that has to raise doubts.
I agree with you. It must be careful in choosing the project we want to follow. We should look at all aspects of the project if it is doubtful it is better not to join. But if you convince you please join the project.
There should be no doubt if we analyze correctly.
White paper is the first proof we read and we have, how the project is planned and the roadmap is implemented. In addition we can see a serious team there. I'm sure you'll find it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: