Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:55:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NiceHash hacked?  (Read 32040 times)
Pyroboby7

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:44:45 PM

So this was most likely planned out to coincide with the payout?

Without doubt. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze another 20 hours of mining profits Wink I guess once you are over $50m it's all the same...

That's a common misconception, but a few million here, a few million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.  Tongue  This is why use the jaws of life to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

There was an attack on bcc that hurt the scrypt profit-switching pools just a day before this.  I'm really not sure this heist was all about the money, or at least, not just this particular pile of money.  The perps may be playing a much bigger game.

Such as?

XMG -  95AySiw3GaiTxf5xWBnZLLWkJ9orhyagbx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
null-zero-sum

Activity: 89
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 10:45:45 PM

I feel sorry for those who got their btc stolen. Damn hackers!

ALL COINS!! ONE PLATFORM! BEST PRICES!
The number 1 aggregator of crypto liquidity where you can trade over 10,000 cross rates in one place!
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:49:05 PM

I ain't really sure what they plan to do with them, everyone knows where they are and are watching. The FBI can trace bitcoin transactions now so it's dead money.
I'm gonna venture a guess that anyone savvy enough to clip $59m like this has a plan to disperse and liquidate the Crypto through anonymous and untraceable channels. You can track BTC transactions but NOT identities. I'm positive it's much easier than washing fiat. 

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:50:25 PM

And now? Just sit and wait what will happen? If the BTC is locked, the btc price should go uuup in the sky right? Cheesy

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
cryptonomics_dealer

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:53:23 PM

There is only one good thing from these lesson - another pools like Nicehash will improve their security.
BenRickert

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:55:40 PM

I ain't really sure what they plan to do with them, everyone knows where they are and are watching. The FBI can trace bitcoin transactions now so it's dead money.

Yup. It's not like they can take the btc to an exchange and cash it out for USD or EUR... That wallet is now blacklisted, and I don't see it going anywhere...

Im sure it probably got exchanged for a privacy based coin and laundered already.  That shit is gone.

You would have seen the outgoing transaction on the blockchain. 0 spent out of it.

https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

That's the thing about btc... there is no name associated to it, but you can track it's whereabouts.
So you think that a person or persons smart enough to pull this heist off is just winging it and had "no plan" to liquidate the haul??? How do you know that it's not internal? It's likely that this hack is a new method. I tend to believe that a group that knows how to clean out an entire Company's coiffures has a very viable plan to spend those proceeds. Unless.....they were fast enough to lock down the address before a transfer. That's doubtful.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
Gameflip ICO

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:56:09 PM

Yes, it was hacked
nazzer

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:59:09 PM

I feel sorry for those who got their btc stolen. Damn hackers!

The only people who got BTC stolen is Nicehash - none of the Nicehash customer wallets hold any BTC, just an IOU from Nicehash promising to pay you.

Having said that, I doubt Nicehash will be ponying up anytime soon ...

I was owed about $300, how about you?

Vega 56 | Vega 64 | RX580 | GTX1070 | 1050Ti | S9 | L3+
coldstorage

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:59:52 PM

Without doubt. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze another 20 hours of mining profits Wink I guess once you are over $50m it's all the same...

That's a common misconception, but a few million here, a few million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.  Tongue  This is why use the jaws of life to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

There was an attack on bcc that hurt the scrypt profit-switching pools just a day before this.  I'm really not sure this heist was all about the money, or at least, not just this particular pile of money.  The perps may be playing a much bigger game.

Such as?

The people who suffered in both cases were mining altcoins, and were out on the fringes of profit switching among the lesser known, less secure alts (bcc, for example).  Taking out some alts on the periphery might increasingly scare speculative dollars to more established currencies, not just bitcoin, but the most familiar, strongest cryptos.  Two attacks wouldn't accomplish that, so I'm just spit-balling unless there are more attacks, but if they profit from each attack with the foreknowledge of what will go down as well as the wallet proceeds, they can drive bigger and bigger attacks as they go and knock down targets like dominos.

If you were going to attack the entire system rather than just promote your corner of it, eventually all the way to attacking bitcoin itself, that wouldn't be a bad way to start.  Alts are almost an overflow for BTC.  Take that away and profit in the process, and you've got a softer final target and more resources to hit it with.
GeePeeU

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:02:42 PM

Such as?

The people who suffered in both cases were mining altcoins, and were out on the fringes of profit switching among the lesser known, less secure alts (bcc, for example).  Taking out some alts on the periphery might increasingly scare speculative dollars to more established currencies, not just bitcoin, but the most familiar, strongest cryptos.  Two attacks wouldn't accomplish that, so I'm just spit-balling unless there are more attacks, but if they profit from each attack with the foreknowledge of what will go down as well as the wallet proceeds, they can drive bigger and bigger attacks as they go and knock down targets like dominos.

If you were going to attack the entire system rather than just promote your corner of it, eventually all the way to attacking bitcoin itself, that wouldn't be a bad way to start.  Alts are almost an overflow for BTC.  Take that away and profit in the process, and you've got a softer final target and more resources to hit it with.

This is a worry inducing comment to say the least.

Always doubt.
Mr_Snipes

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 11:13:19 PM

Once this stuff starts moving you need to be extra careful on sales here or localbitcoins.
Some "very good" rates people got offered here on bitcointalk were in fact dirty btc.
BenRickert

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:23:26 PM

I would not loose one wink of sleep after putting a bullet right through the head of any of these thieves. More likely though, I would shoot them in the stomach and enjoy their slow painful death. It would not shock me in the least if this wasn't an organized Corporate, or Government attack on NH and consequently Bitcoin. Those central bank and corporate scumbags and thieves are getting very, very scared of the BTC price movement lately. They stand to lose a LOT.

Nebell

Activity: 406
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:33:00 PM

Once this stuff starts moving you need to be extra careful on sales here or localbitcoins.
Some "very good" rates people got offered here on bitcointalk were in fact dirty btc.

How does that matter?I don't think there's such a thing as dirty BTC. It's just BTC.

BitcoinZ - community driven, no premine, no dev-tax, developers always welcome
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3086664
https://btcz.rocks/
b20lopez

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:35:56 PM

I wonder if they really got "hacked"
BenRickert

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:39:15 PM

I wonder if they really got "hacked"
It all seems a bit too "convenient" doesn't it. The timing....the sheer volume....the complete blackout of the site. One wallet with not only $59.000.000.00 in it, but lax enough security to be able to clean it out?? Something definitely stinks very badly.

PovertyByte

Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:44:27 PM

I still have a balance but I couldn't mine, so not sure how I can get my BTC without being able to mine up to the cashout threshold
BenRickert

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:46:24 PM

I still have a balance but I couldn't mine, so not sure how I can get my BTC without being able to mine up to the cashout threshold
How can you tell you have a balance? Isn't the site shutdown?

bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:57:48 PM

People who believes that the site was hacked then you're out of your mind, this strategy was planned already of nicehash team, as the bitcoin price soar ($14k at coinmarketcap) and of course its a big win win to them everyone will believe if they will tell the world that they were hacked using those huge media/news site, and now its time, they published that were hacked? Com'on, this is not common thing, hashocean moved that way too when price is in the middle of surging. BTW get ready with hashflare too lol
silios

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:06:56 AM

People who believes that the site was hacked then you're out of your mind, this strategy was planned already of nicehash team, as the bitcoin price soar ($14k at coinmarketcap) and of course its a big win win to them everyone will believe if they will tell the world that they were hacked using those huge media/news site, and now its time, they published that were hacked? Com'on, this is not common thing, hashocean moved that way too when price is in the middle of surging high.

Something is fishy for sure...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2537271.msg25881770#msg25881770
dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:09:50 AM

Balances are basically all gone from the sound of it, unless NH has a HUGE cash reserve somehow.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: