Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:52:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NiceHash hacked?  (Read 32040 times)
OGteamcrypton

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:12:36 AM

So this was most likely planned out to coincide with the payout?

Without doubt. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze another 20 hours of mining profits Wink I guess once you are over $50m it's all the same...

That's a common misconception, but a few million here, a few million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.  Tongue  This is why use the jaws of life to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

There was an attack on bcc that hurt the scrypt profit-switching pools just a day before this.  I'm really not sure this heist was all about the money, or at least, not just this particular pile of money.  The perps may be playing a much bigger game.

Such as?

The people who suffered in both cases were mining altcoins, and were out on the fringes of profit switching among the lesser known, less secure alts (bcc, for example).  Taking out some alts on the periphery might increasingly scare speculative dollars to more established currencies, not just bitcoin, but the most familiar, strongest cryptos.  Two attacks wouldn't accomplish that, so I'm just spit-balling unless there are more attacks, but if they profit from each attack with the foreknowledge of what will go down as well as the wallet proceeds, they can drive bigger and bigger attacks as they go and knock down targets like dominos.

If you were going to attack the entire system rather than just promote your corner of it, eventually all the way to attacking bitcoin itself, that wouldn't be a bad way to start.  Alts are almost an overflow for BTC.  Take that away and profit in the process, and you've got a softer final target and more resources to hit it with.

This is a worry inducing comment to say the least.

Ehh its always doom and gloom around here if you listen to that kind of shit.
Its quite common for people to think the sky is falling.
Granted, sometimes it is.

Now is it time to don our tinfoil hats? Sure why not?
I have a very stylish one!

Edit:
Does anyone else here not see the lack of logic in them up and running?
The business model was killer. It was really sound. Especially because if you had spent any time mining you would see that the rates they give is almost 3/4 what it would be worth if you were actually mining something.
The positive side is that smaller coins can actually be secured and not pwned by massive hash rates as soon as they launch by any ol guy who could click a few buttons and deposit some BTC.

In my mind this is not a conspiracy, though I may be wrong, but instead someone skimped on updating the website UI and there was a hole. Thats what happens with these things.
Honestly, is the person doing it for the money? Well Im sure it doesnt hurt. But more probably they are doing it to "re-secure" alts that launch and then literally are broken by people mining to hell and dumping.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:15:54 AM

I feel sorry for those who got their btc stolen. Damn hackers!
Common misconception, they didn't steal my btc, they stole nicehash's btc. Nicehash is responsible for our money, of course they can just go broke and it's over.
totallyG

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:16:46 AM

People who believes that the site was hacked then you're out of your mind, this strategy was planned already of nicehash team, as the bitcoin price soar ($14k at coinmarketcap) and of course its a big win win to them everyone will believe if they will tell the world that they were hacked using those huge media/news site, and now its time, they published that were hacked? Com'on, this is not common thing, hashocean moved that way too when price is in the middle of surging high.

Something is fishy for sure...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2537271.msg25881770#msg25881770

1. BTC price its at a alltime high. Good time for an exit.
2. To put all btc in one wallet is just stupid. Even with the slightest security thinking you can realize that.
3. The internal adresses was probably linked to this wallet. And is a strange system in itself.

Myself I was about to get payed a bit over 0.01 btc the 8th of December. It feels fishy this happens just before.
n00bsaibot

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:22:02 AM

2. To put all btc in one wallet is just stupid. Even with the slightest security thinking you can realize that.
3. The internal adresses was probably linked to this wallet. And is a strange system in itself.
Myself I was about to get payed a bit over 0.01 btc the 8th of December. It feels fishy this happens just before.

Same here ... maybe we can all go to Slovenia and take our own share in equipment  Grin Grin Grin
Pyroboby7

Activity: 94

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:30:14 AM

People who believes that the site was hacked then you're out of your mind, this strategy was planned already of nicehash team, as the bitcoin price soar ($14k at coinmarketcap) and of course its a big win win to them everyone will believe if they will tell the world that they were hacked using those huge media/news site, and now its time, they published that were hacked? Com'on, this is not common thing, hashocean moved that way too when price is in the middle of surging high.

Something is fishy for sure...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2537271.msg25881770#msg25881770

Thats how the large pools work.  They receive the coin, you get an entry in a database that youll receive x number of coins and when cashout happens, they send it from the main wallet.  Thats why lots of people will tell you to not leave anything on a pool, if they get hacked or the database is corrupted, you're screwed.

XMG -  95AySiw3GaiTxf5xWBnZLLWkJ9orhyagbx
TOPBILL

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:34:11 AM

Makes me wonder about the future of nicehash. I have a feeling they are going to just shut down soon... I don't see anyone wanting to use their services to buy mining power, which means they won't be able "sell mining power"...

I was making about 2 dollars per day with my 970 and cpu. I would suspect it being more like 50 cents a day now.

I hade .32 BTC at nicehash! That's $4200

You can make more money without Nicehash.  

Mine electroneum ( ETN ) it's off the charts now that Nicehash is down. My 4 1080 ti's make $29.00 a day.

Go here and put your hashrate with Cryptonight  at the bottom and see what you're daily earning are:
https://easyhash.io/pools/electroneum
Pyroboby7

Activity: 94

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:37:23 AM

Makes me wonder about the future of nicehash. I have a feeling they are going to just shut down soon... I don't see anyone wanting to use their services to buy mining power, which means they won't be able "sell mining power"...

I was making about 2 dollars per day with my 970 and cpu. I would suspect it being more like 50 cents a day now.

I hade .32 BTC at nicehash! That's $4200

You can make more money without Nicehash.  

Mine electroneum ( ETN ) it's off the charts now that Nicehash is down. My 4 1080 ti's make $29.00 a day.

Go here and put your hashrate with Cryptonight  at the bottom and see what you're daily earning are:
https://easyhash.io/pools/electroneum

Luck affects payout as well.  Some people use those calculators as gospel in mining.  Its just a calculation of that particular moments difficulty, nethash, and your hashrate.  You still have to hit blocks to get paid and most forget that.

XMG -  95AySiw3GaiTxf5xWBnZLLWkJ9orhyagbx
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:38:50 AM

Crazy time for sure. I cant decide if its the perfect moment to pull a take the money and claim they are trying to fix it while setting themselves up for good and running off while their excuses buy them time or if someone actually pulled off quite the theft. Either way it sucks for all those using Nicehash.  Many miners have with little knowledge were using it for the simple ease of use and have never really looked into other pools before.  It will be interesting to see what happens to those and where they go after losing most of their earning potential.  Those who were grinding away with 1 or 2 GPUs or even CPU miners probably wont come back.  Although they are small timers they add up to a decent hash rate between them all.
nexus2k14

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:51:51 AM

Crazy time for sure. I cant decide if its the perfect moment to pull a take the money and claim they are trying to fix it while setting themselves up for good and running off while their excuses buy them time or if someone actually pulled off quite the theft. Either way it sucks for all those using Nicehash.  Many miners have with little knowledge were using it for the simple ease of use and have never really looked into other pools before.  It will be interesting to see what happens to those and where they go after losing most of their earning potential.  Those who were grinding away with 1 or 2 GPUs or even CPU miners probably wont come back.  Although they are small timers they add up to a decent hash rate between them all.

I was mining on NiceHash with 2 GPU + CPU. I am shocked what happened, it looks like everyone lost their balance for good. That was internal wallets so money is lost for good. Below is a hacker wallet that collected all BTC from NiceHash. I think they will be out of business if not they should, and they should take responsibility. Users always complain about Bitcoin was banned somewhere in the world or there is an extra verification process on the exchange but after this what happened to NiceHash we can understand how important is to put right laws in place to prevent things like this to happen in future.
https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq
RealKariverson

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:01:34 AM

Damn, right when when I completed my first rig! How unlucky is that! A similar service needs to surface asap.
d00f

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:02:34 AM

I don't know much about the inner workings of bitcoin, but they know what wallet the stolen coins went into and where they went from there. Is it impossible to black-list the tainted coins/wallets? If every single transaction is in a ledger, then wouldn't every single coin be traceable?
Mikanoshi

Activity: 798
Merit: 252

Insane In The Blockchain ⚠

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 01:10:44 AM

You can make up to $40 on other coins. Just saying Smiley Cryptonight is for CPUs and Vega.

They create a "hack", wait for BTC correction, sell all 4500 bitcoins and buy them back low.
Then make an announcement that funds were miraculously recovered Grin

joshuaj

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:15:28 AM

So, what is the status now? Nicehash still down, right? Because I found hashrate of coins still low...

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:22:26 AM

yeah they run off with that bitcoin and then fucking repoen the site in a few weeks lol and start taking all your money again hahahahha

i lost $200 myslef probbaky $300 due to downtime but im glad nicehash is gone , anyone stupid enough to give them hashrate when they repoen after his blatant theft needs a bullet themsleves lol
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:25:08 AM

yeah they run off with that bitcoin and then fucking repoen the site in a few weeks lol and start taking all your money again hahahahha

i lost $200 myslef probbaky $300 due to downtime but im glad nicehash is gone , anyone stupid enough to give them hashrate when they repoen after his blatant theft needs a bullet themsleves lol
They said they will only be down for 24 hours.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:30:33 AM

They said they will only be down for 24 hours.
even worse , they steal 50 mill of your money and u have the nerve to mine with them again in 24 hours lol
before they refund the lost coins?  If cannot refund the money they owe miners first they have no fucking buisness
repopenening , If i dont get what im owed ill never mine with them again
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:38:43 AM

I was so happy for the almost 70 % increase in profits.
Damn sad. whos next to exit?  Grin
MiningDoc

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:09:06 AM

See, this is what happens when btc goes to 13m and an employee sees 4000+ sitting there in 1 wallet.

Pokercoin.net – The Future of Poker! Welcome to the 1st cryptocurrency which is created for pokerplayers!
Join Now and Start Playing Online Poker on the first platform accepting Pokercoin!
 || Website || Poker || Bounty || Twitter || Facebook ||
abbv21b

Activity: 161

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:20:54 AM

See, this is what happens when btc goes to 13m and an employee sees 4000+ sitting there in 1 wallet.

It is Wednesday afternoon and one employee is bored outta his mind preparing TPS reports for NiceHash managers. Then he decides to check BTC price and sees it is at all time high. And plan starts to develop..
crypticj

Activity: 873
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:32:48 AM

Put me down for $1400 i used to cash out weekly until they put carrot in front of me by saving 2% by using internal wallet bravo bravo[I am sucker to fall for me].

Lesson learned. No more i say!!!

cold storage + private wallet

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: