Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:07:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cats & the reasonability of Ethereum  (Read 378 times)
sachithra (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 06:19:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I've purchased and clutched Ethereum for some time since it generally appeared to have the most substantial business centered objectives, brilliant contracts, DAPPS, and so on. It's dependably been the champion to me.

Notwithstanding, with this entire absurd kitty thing, my exchanges have gone from 5m to more than 12hours.

My inquiry is: What's Ethereum going to resemble once a huge amount of DAPPS begin being keep running on the system? In the event that this one kitty application can sink the whole system so awful, what does this educate us concerning the feasibility of Ethereum later on?

Possibly I don't comprehend the specialized side of things enough, yet it appears like a quite enormous defect for one irregular pokemon/gambling app to have the capacity to affect the system so remarkably.

Thanks!
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2017, 09:38:37 PM by nullius

My inquiry is: What's Ethereum going to resemble once a huge amount of DAPPS begin being keep running on the system? In the event that this one kitty application can sink the whole system so awful, what does this educate us concerning the feasibility of Ethereum later on?

Why is this posted in Bitcoin Development & Technical Discussion?  [Edit:  This was originally there; it got moved to a more appropriate venue.]  The only way it could possibly belong here is if we want to discuss yet another object lesson on why Bitcoin should never, ever have a Turing-complete script.  For that reason, Bitcoin has something better in the pipeline.  It will have properties which can be proved against DAO-style “oopsies” and mass-loss “hacker deleted the library” bugs; and it will never let the network be DOSed by prolifically fecund, evilly cute kittens.  It will be pure, powerful Simplicity (PDF).

Well, either that—or if we want to make fun of Ethereum and its latest woes.  Hahaha!  That is on-topic anywhere, in my engineering opinion.

Best thought of as a decentralized Tamagotchi, CryptoKitties appears to be striking a nerve with new users, making ethereum fun and accessible to those who aren't in the tech nerd domain.

This is the best and only useful application of a Turing-complete VM grafted onto a blockchain.

That is my engineering opinion.

"Due to network congestion, we are increasing the birthing fee from 0.001 ETH to 0.002 ETH. This will ensure your kittens are born on time!" the CryptoKitties team stated in a tweet surrounded by siren emojis to express the direness of the situation.

No worries.  If an overpopulation of cute kittens disrupts the network, or even becomes sentient and steals all the ETH, then Ethereum can simply stick a fork in it for mass kitten extermination.  It’s not like they haven’t done it before.

Remember, every time you use Ethereum, an undiscovered Solidity bug kills a kitten.

MyOddz

Activity: 150
Merit: 11

Here for a good time, not a long time.

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 08:50:10 PM

there are many scaling solutions under way at present, plasma, raiden for micro payments and sharding. it will all change

LOTS OF ETHEREUM ENS (.eth) NAMES AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE, CONTACT FOR DETAILS.
Ging

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:57:37 PM

hello i think i any have been out for only few days and this new concept appears CATS can someone clear this concept i mean are they a group of people ? and who are they? and how do they relate to ether?
MyOddz

Activity: 150
Merit: 11

Here for a good time, not a long time.

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 09:00:10 PM

theres a new craze called cryptokitties that you can buy and breed and sell on. they've gone through a few generations so far, generation 0 was the first and its up to about 19 now. GEN 0 kitties are very expensive, one sold for 264 ETH!! its at cryptokitties.co but you have to have metamask to use it

LOTS OF ETHEREUM ENS (.eth) NAMES AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE, CONTACT FOR DETAILS.
CryptoBuds
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1043

HODL

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:17:47 PM

there are many scaling solutions under way at present, plasma, raiden for micro payments and sharding. it will all change

I hope that all these solutions will fix the problem with the scalability. It's a nonsense situation with kitties makes them in demand more than ever.

nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 09:55:26 PM

theres a new craze called cryptokitties that you can buy and breed and sell on. they've gone through a few generations so far, generation 0 was the first and its up to about 19 now. GEN 0 kitties are very expensive, one sold for 264 ETH!! its at cryptokitties.co but you have to have metamask to use it

Hardfork those pussies.

abvhiael

Activity: 722
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:59:53 PM

so i have heard that this cats are just a game whci is the reason behind this slowness in ether i am facing problems here in etherdelta i am making purchases but it is like am doing nothing.
bribed

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 10:25:32 PM

I think that the Ethereum devs are aware of the potential scaling issues for a long time already. Now this became more present with this kitty dapp, but as far as I know they are working on a solution. I read in another thread that the most simple solution would be to increase the gas fees that are needed for a transaction, because miners pick the higher gased transactions over the low gased ones. I however hope that there will be another solution somehow.
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 11:05:26 PM

Not for now but for the future reason. The main thing about the dapps becomes real when another project still get stuck on it. How the ethereum blockchain just need the sharding blockchain and increase the block capassity. There will be more dapps in the future and it may become the main reason the sharding blockchain just become a responsibility.
dead_m92

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 11:14:54 PM

I will be fixed sooner or later, this project has almost killed ethereum and we are not hearing anything from it.

ethereum is almost dead right now, you are not even able to dump the money from your wallet and THAT is the only reason of why the price hasn't been decreasing during the last time, but it will happen soon.

I dont know what the hell is cryptokitties, and i am not even interested on it, but i have some ideas of how it is now affecting the ethereum blockchain.

A lot of ico's got cancelled because of this fucking project.

███
             █████████
          ███████████████
        ███████████████████
       █████████████████████
       █████████████████████
       █████████████████████
       █████████▀▀▀▀▀██████
    █████████▀        █████████
 ███████████▌  ▄████▄▄████████████
████████████▌  ████████████████████
█████████████   ▀▀▀▀  █████████████