Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if a person died with BTC!!  (Read 2287 times)
Clos Belmont ICO

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 08:16:42 AM

Fortune magazine recently had an article about this. It's a good question. I keep access to my accounts an encrypted database. My wife doesn't have the password. But I think I'll make a copy of it that she can keep on her encrypted database.

http://fortune.com/2017/09/26/cryptocurrency-bitcoin-death/

While I red this question I remembered the same article

At the moment, there are ways to save currencies even after death

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
moamin77

Activity: 310
Merit: 102

JACS.tech

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:22:38 AM

Unless they share the secret (info, keys...) with someone, the 'crypto' asset will be lost with their death!
Maybe keeping the info on a piece of paper that their family can find

jobjorn

Activity: 26

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:43:16 AM

I think it is quite dangerous if you have a sudden death. no one can access your money anymore and I think it should have already happened somewhere in our world. It is quite an important question to answer if we really want to make bitcoin as the storage medium for our life saving.
haileysantos95

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:47:13 AM

What will happen??

No one will have the BTC address. Hence will them isolated?

In FIAT, people can handover money to someone.. So, i predict BTC will be disappeared gradually.

If a person died and that person is actually owning bitcoin then that bitcoin can be gone forever, if someone knew the log in details on that persons account then it can be acquired but without it all the bitcoin will be stack in that address.
kriticko29

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:51:23 AM

Well since bitcoin is a large amount of money i think those people who have bitcoins will entrust their private keys/passwords to someone they love. It can be used for their future when that person died.
akiraminai

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 08:54:50 AM

I think BTC will be like "money" deposited in the bank, when the owner dies, the bank will claim the belongings of the owner if ever there's no one the owner passes onto. I think the founder of the wallet websites can collect it maybe ?
nethan1btc

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:03:14 AM

Depend if he/she has backup and someone know the backup it still can back but if he/she doesnt have backup it will be lost and  you will never can get that bitcoin back
Yes it is still depends, so if a persons will died and love ones dont have a copy of a private keys all of your wallet of btc will also not open. We know we dont know whatever will happen on us anytime, so better save and let your family knows about your wallet.

I think it is not necessarily to let your family knows about your online wallet because even they know about our online wallet they haven't still know how to use it and if we died accidentally then we are nothing to do about it. That is our destiny we can't stop that moment and much better to forget all we have while we are still  on earth so that there will be no problem to be facing off.
Nhor1011

Activity: 994
Merit: 11

Daxetoken.net

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:18:05 AM

Will ,if a person died with bitcoin,his or her bitcoin will still in their wallet,no one can claim and use it unless there are person or their family know their password,email,private key and evrything just to open his/her account.

icanscript

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:38:26 AM

It is important, not only that the family had keys and passwords. It is still necessary to teach them how to use it. Without having the necessary skills, you can destroy any information, and with it a crypto currency in your wallet.
But the memory of you will remain in the castle forever! Smiley
rasmadisulaiman

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:16:50 PM

After I read the question from you, I think to make the archive of BTC address and the key. I will make a will that I will go to my family if I die, so the family can use bitcoin after I die.
If I do not do those steps for sure when I die, the bitcoin I have will be useless.

⚫▶  BUILDERIUM   |▌  CREATING THE FUTURE YOU DESIRE, ONE BID AT A TIME
███ [   Token Sale Starts  ▶  July 23 th, 2018   ] █ █ [   JOIN AIRDROP   ] ███
▬▬▬▬▬    ●    Whitepaper    ●    Facebook    ●    Twitter    ●    Telegram    ●    ▬▬▬▬▬
kiddeon123

Activity: 291
Merit: 101

https://icoenergy.org/

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:24:07 PM

i think that if a person die and they dosn't told anyone about their private key, then their bitcoin will be buried with them. So I think you shoukd share youre private key to your family or secure you private key in a treasury then give the key to your wife and tell her to open it if you died. in that way yiyr famiky can benifit from it when yiu die 

judemarco1996

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:28:59 PM

thats a good question
Ch1bi

Activity: 289

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:30:37 PM

If someone died with Bitcoin, let's hope they left their private keys to someone. I feel people should treat it like any other important asset and leave it to someone just in case anything happened.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:49:38 PM

What will happen??

In FIAT, people can handover money to someone.. So, i predict BTC will be disappeared gradually.

Well if that person didn't have the foresight to trust family members about his crypto assets, then all his btc will surely be buried with him. That's one of the risks as well if you're going to entrust all your private keys and passwords but better to educate your family about btc first

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
imteaz

Activity: 532
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 05:09:55 PM

Well, there will be 4 million btc missing due to lost private keys, lost wallet, people died, etc and those will be never recovered.

PLAYSE2

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:07:17 PM

I leave all my passwords and private keys inside a compressed file, maybe it will be missing.
ynatopak14

Activity: 458
Merit: 112

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:13:31 PM

What will happen??

that person has his/her details of wallet and exchanger info, such as password email addresses and private key saved on his/her computer.
like me it is saved on my computer way down on some folders which is hard to see by any other even they used my computer, though i have some notes left for my wife or my children to see it once something happen to me,
the bitcoin or any crypto on his/her wallet will not be gone nor isolated as it will remain on that wallet for the rest of the time.
Halcyon Days

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

For now, the BTC amount the person had, will be lost. Many people also lost their password to their BTC wallet along the way, meaning these coins can also not be recovered. Overall, you should make sure, that someone you are close to (family, wife/husband, etc.) can retrieve the password just in case.

There was some speculation, that once quantum computing is available, all kind of passwords (banks, internet, and even BTC keys) could be retrieved in a fast way due to the increased computing power. Hence, sometime in the future, it might be possible, that people will "search" for lost wallets to retrieve the key.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
learner 7

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:41:17 PM

Yes it is very unpleasant for relatives who will not be able to obtain an inheritance. For MEW, there is an extension that transfers funds to another address after a certain time - MyWish Token.
nilbtc4555

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:47:06 PM

well honestly to say that if it happen that someone die with his/her BTC wallet privet key, it won't be possible to excess his/her account and rescue it from there.So i think it is our responsibillity to make a paper wallet of our cold wallet and give a copy to your loved ones as a backup/nominee.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: