Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:03:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Volatility A Bad Thing?  (Read 3779 times)
Hydrogen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:59:08 PM

Steam dropped bitcoin support citing "high volatility" as a motive.

When amazon stock jumped from $18 to $1,200 over a period of years, was this high volatility a bad thing?

If bitcoin's value increases from $6,000 to $16,000 over a period of months, and HODL'ers benefit, this high volatility is bad?

Where does the idea of high volatility being an unnecessary evil come from?

Are there good arguments or evidence which support the concept of high volatility being a negative circumstance?

In a sense, volatility simply means the price of something moves a lot, its not that bad if the vast majority of motion is in an upward direction?

Huh Huh Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
777asianinvasian

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

🌟 MIRA ICO 🌟

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:28:46 PM

Volatile isn't bad or evil it is because some participants in the market can't stomach such moves and as a result you see these bigger companies trying to appease the small guy. With high volatility comes great risk but also comes great rewards. That is why some players like this and some participants don't like this. Hence also why I think less big sharks got into Bitcoin at the beginning because of this. Wait until the futures market comes out in a week a lot more sharks are going to jump on board and it isn't because Bitcoin wasn't always a good asset it is because they can now have multiple ways to play the market which is what the big guys like.

vinz7229

Activity: 308
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:37:39 PM

When amazon stock jumped from $18 to $1,200 over a period of years, was this high volatility a bad thing?

If bitcoin's value increases from $6,000 to $16,000 over a period of months, and HODL'ers benefit, this high volatility is bad?

Are there good arguments or evidence which support the concept of high volatility being a negative circumstance?

In a sense, volatility simply means the price of something moves a lot, its not that bad if the vast majority of motion is in an upward direction?

Huh Huh Huh

Bitcoin volatility is not a bad thing, but theirs  a negative and positive impact to everyone. Negative side is that you can't do anything when Bitcoin price is falling down rapidly it's up to you if you can ease the profit loss. On the other side the positive effect of volatility is when Bitcoin price starting falling up again, in just I minutes it can double or triple your profit. So I can say that Bitcoin volatility is not a bad thing
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:40:09 PM

Volatility is only a negative aspect if you try to utilize Bitcoin's currency aspect. Merchants themselves don't have to be afraid of the volatility since there are third party payment processors such as BitPay taking care of everything. It pays out merchants in fiat for every Bitcoin related sales transaction, and that for just a 1% fee. It's way cheaper than credit cards and other payment services. Let's see if the future markets will be able to tame Bitcoin, which is something that they clame being capable of. I wouldn't mind more stability, but as long as this is an open and free market, volatility will remain a part of Bitcoin.
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 11:40:36 PM

I think you are mixing things. Steam had bitcoin as a payment method, so if you see things that way, then volatility is a bad thing, because it's hard to keep stable prices. You can buy something and then the price goes up, and you payed a big rice for that game, or the price can go down, and if steam didn't converted the BTC for cash, then they lost money. Volatility might be a good thing for trade, or an investment, if the price is going up, but it's not a good things for buying goods. They also complained about the fees if I'm not mistaken. I understand the move, and it doesn't really hurt bitcoin in my opinion. Right now BTC is an asset class and is tied to investments, and that is not a bad thing, because it means that a lot of money will come into bitcoin.

andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 01:55:01 AM

Huh Huh Huh
To me that is just an excuse, it seems they are not keeping their bitcoin and instead selling immediately and now are sour grapes they need to sell their games for a very low amount of bitcoin, so if they dropped the support at the end that is their problem, they are going to resume it when there are more people using bitcoin.
lvincent

Activity: 294
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:11:01 AM

Well volatility is one of the characteristic of bitcoin, you cannot say that it is a bad thing you can have a great from it, you just need to use its volatility to benefits a lot from it and have a really great profit, just always be careful to make the right decisions.

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:54:01 AM

I heard a different story. The real culprit was because of the rising fees and its making it impractical to use BTC for payments on Steam.

Think of buying a game worth $50 and paying over $10 in fees for it. That would make credit cards more practical and cheaper.

I also dont think there were many Bitcoiners buying games.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:03:05 AM

No! It is not a bad thing. Those who complain of bitcoin volatility should try Forex Trading and see how their blood pressure works. For me, the bitcoin volatility is the main attraction. That's what entices buyers and sellers into either profit or loss.

As for the third party exchange sites, they should know how to maneuver the volatility to make their profit. Steam should learn from Shapeshift and Changelly how they cope.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
CryptoKyddie

Activity: 182
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:10:29 AM

No volatility should be expect now and if it wasnt volatile I would be worried. However, the volatility needs to be reduced. Once BTC is more stable then its can be explored as a method to pay for more goods and services.
Brothersav

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:36:12 AM

Volatility isn't good unless you sell the peaks and buy the dips. BTC is young and it's going to be volatile for years to come.

TheServerDown

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:53:22 AM

It is both a good thijg and a bad thing. Volatility nakes the priced unpreditably positivr but it hangs on the notion that it is a bubble about to burst. Either way it is a risk I'm willing to make.
michellee

Activity: 2758
Merit: 840

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:00:54 AM

I don't think that bitcoin volatility is a bad thing because, from this volatility, people can trying to earn money so they called this their profit. if one product become famous, then the price will follow the product.

for example, before facebook famous, the price is cheap but once facebook become popular among us, the price increase too high. and this is the same with bitcoin.

in 2009, when bitcoin is launch, the price is cheap. with $1 you can get much of bitcoin. but after time to time, many people know that bitcoin is the best investment, so they buy bitcoin with a lot of money while the price is cheap and now, the price increases and they are making a lot of money.

..BITWINUP..
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄██████░░██░░████████▄
██████░░░░░░░░░▀████████
█████████░░████▄░░████████
▐█████████░░████▀░░████████▌
▐█████████░░░░░░░░░░▀██████▌
▐█████████░░███████░░██████▌
███████▀▀░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░▄██████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░▄▄▄███████
▀██████▄▄██▄▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
UP OR DOWN?
.BITCOIN. PVP PREDECTION GAME

VS
▄███████████████████████▄
██                     ██
██  █████████████████  ██
██  ▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▀  ██
█▀  ▄███████████████▄  ▀█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██  ▄▄▄▄▄ ███ ███ ▄▄▄▄▄  ██
██  █████▄ ▀███▀ ▄█████  ██
██  ███████▄▄▄▄▄███████  ██
██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ██
███████████████████████████
MONTHLY
JACKPOT
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████▀▀██████████████▄
▄███▀░░▄▄░░▀▀███████████▄
▄███░░▄█████▄░████████████▄
████░░▀██████▀▀░░░░░▀██████
█████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄▄████▄░░█████
▀███████▄▄▄██░▀█████░░████▀
▀███████████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄███▀
▀█████████████▄▄▄█████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.Play to earn Crypto.
cryptonerd1234

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:03:51 AM

Volatility is good for traders but creates a psychological hurdle for those interested in using it for transactions. If you can spend both crypto and fiat in the same places and believe that crypto will have greater value in the long-term then hypothetically you should put all or most of your fiat into crypto and spend it when you have to without worrying since you'll ultimately maximize your value but if you worry about potentially getting a 10% discount on that shirt you want if you were to wait a day every time you go to buy something then it's harder to spend than if you don't have to worry about volatility.
hacker1001101001

Activity: 1288
Merit: 415

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:11:36 AM

Huh Huh Huh
Bitcoin is a very flexible crypto and it is its property it on the user how to use that property. Once can just think it is a bad aspect and never invest in it but if we use it as a good aspect than one can earn a huge profit from bitcoin. Its all about utilizing the property any this is good and helpful to us.
shoreno

Activity: 1750
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:21:29 AM

Bitcoin volatility is not a bad thing, but theirs  a negative and positive impact to everyone. Negative side is that you can't do anything when Bitcoin price is falling down rapidly it's up to you if you can ease the profit loss. On the other side the positive effect of volatility is when Bitcoin price starting falling up again, in just I minutes it can double or triple your profit. So I can say that Bitcoin volatility is not a bad thing

you cant call it a negative side when bitcoins price is falling because it has still some advantages like you can buy bitcoin on a low price but if your only a seller and a worker that depends mainly on the highest possible price of bitcoin that it can get then you should consider it as a disadvantage. overall i can say that  the effect of bitcoin volatility is totally depends on the person and bitcoin volatility has got a two major effects which is positive and negative or disadvantage and advantage.

No volatility should be expect now and if it wasnt volatile I would be worried. However, the volatility needs to be reduced. Once BTC is more stable then its can be explored as a method to pay for more goods and services.

volatiliy should not be reduced because if its reduced then our profits and income will totally decreased. im sure you didnt like it either , are you? bitcoin can still be used in business to act as their alternative payment gateway though they might always be adjust the price of their product and services according to the current actual price of bitcoin.

Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:30:30 AM

I think it isn't a bad thing for those who know how to handle it. But for those who are having financial crisis I think it's a bit stressful.
Volality is a good thing because it's profitable. On the contrary, it's a bit unfair realizing that you have spent a decent amount of BTC but presently gaining high value and now you are struggling to save some.
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:30:49 AM

Yes , this makes crypto cards totally irrelevant and i dont understand why people buy them, we need a fixed price

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
MarconyGL

Activity: 462
Merit: 101

https://saturn.black

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:44:32 AM

Steam by the way specifically refused to pay in bitcoins. you know why, rightly because of the volatility, because if during the transaction the price changes, you will have to pay again, and the commission already knows about $ 20, so it's very inconvenient. In this regard, and legalization of his brakes.

SATURN
Liquidity providerfor crypto markets Cross-chain Exchange & OTC trading Platform
────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  Blog ♦  Bitcointalk   ────────
kokobaba880

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:06:59 AM

Volatility can affect the currency in different ways like if we look at the bitcoin then high volatility can bad affect bitcoin the demand of this currency can fall through this and the market value of this currency may fall due to the high volatility. volatility some time bad because it badly shows the value of bitcoin to the users.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
  Print  

Jump to: