Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:32:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is Bitcoin taxed??  (Read 403 times)
bitcoinvamp

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:39:31 PM

I've been trying to figure out how Bitcoin is taxed before I trade. Does anyone know?
As per tax is concerned i don't think that the bitcoin is a currency on which tax is applicable. Unless someone converts the bitcoin into the real money the money is tax free. You need to understand that if the trading is between bitcoins then there is no way you could be charged tax instead you have to pay fees so that the transaction is being processed successfully and smoothly. I think this would help you to know the difference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lili song

Activity: 980
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:03:20 PM

In the UK you should pay capital gains tax like with anything else since bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are regarded as capital assets.

So when you sell your cryptocurrency you should pay tax on the actual capital gain.

The actual % varies according to your tax bracket since the tax system in the UK is progressive.

Example from the HMRC website:

"You bought a painting for £5,000 and sold it later for £25,000. This means you made a gain of £20,000 (£25,000 minus £5,000)."

If you swap in BTC for painting you know you need to pay tax on the £20K.

Identify your tax bracket and you know what you owe the government.

Conversely, you can get tax relieved if you've made a loss on your bitcoin; two-way street.

Yes I agree with you, we can do this ways, if we sell cryptocurrency should pay tax. Tax is very important for every country.
So that country can grow if people pay tax and economies from that country will be better. Anyway every transactions with bitcoin can do include tax.
Pusarbumi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 05:24:16 PM

In the UK you should pay capital gains tax like with anything else since bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are regarded as capital assets.

So when you sell your cryptocurrency you should pay tax on the actual capital gain.

The actual % varies according to your tax bracket since the tax system in the UK is progressive.

Example from the HMRC website:

"You bought a painting for £5,000 and sold it later for £25,000. This means you made a gain of £20,000 (£25,000 minus £5,000)."

If you swap in BTC for painting you know you need to pay tax on the £20K.

Identify your tax bracket and you know what you owe the government.

Conversely, you can get tax relieved if you've made a loss on your bitcoin; two-way street.

Yes I agree with you, we can do this ways, if we sell cryptocurrency should pay tax. Tax is very important for every country.
So that country can grow if people pay tax and economies from that country will be better. Anyway every transactions with bitcoin can do include tax.

right sir. so the state has tax revenue from the sale of cryptocurrency and the funds can be used for the progress of every citizen through example of development aspects
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:24:10 PM

I've been trying to figure out how Bitcoin is taxed before I trade. Does anyone know?
As per tax is concerned i don't think that the bitcoin is a currency on which tax is applicable. Unless someone converts the bitcoin into the real money the money is tax free. You need to understand that if the trading is between bitcoins then there is no way you could be charged tax instead you have to pay fees so that the transaction is being processed successfully and smoothly. I think this would help you to know the difference.
Yeah that's what i am thinking right now since it is completely decentralized and no government can put a tax to it but if those government are accepting Bitcoin for a tax payment i guess it's a different story. But since the transaction fees are too expensive i think a micro payments is not a good choice for payment. Why not exchange it into a real cash to pay for their taxes?

expert4knowledge

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:31:03 AM

It's still blurry, there are no real laws about this, we will have to wait the regulations of 2018 to know this, for the better or the worse

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
Pusarbumi

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:53:00 PM

It's still blurry, there are no real laws about this, we will have to wait the regulations of 2018 to know this, for the better or the worse

it is true in my country also there is no absolute regulation about this industry. which is expected in my future crypto currency can be received either by the government
Andrey_07812

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:55:06 PM

Пpaвитeльcтвaм выгoднo paзмытoe юpидичecкoe cocтoяниe кpиптooтpacли
jlb94

Activity: 553
Merit: 262

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:00:20 PM

It s depends where you living. I'm lucky i'm living in france and  taxes are between 32/100 and ...62/10 !! You should send email at your gouvernement to be sure.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
GET WHITELISTED
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
The BlockRx Project

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:19:55 PM

Bitcoin can be digitally traded between users and can be purchased for, or exchanged into, U.S. dollars, Euros, and other real or virtual currencies.(can be taxed in USD)
faceoff97

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:41:02 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2018, 12:14:54 AM by faceoff97

I dont think   and I dont feel like governement is now applying tax in my country, its may be because its not yet recognize as legal in my country. Though its not legal its not illegal, its now staring to have a recognition from our central bank and this would be the beginning of regulating bitcoin inside our country. The central bank now is trying to get the full information of the people holding bitcoin. This only means that they are working on it already.

Basically, though there is no tax implemented we are still paying certain amount from the fiat exchanges or money exchanger. This actually a form of tax already because the transaction fee is high.
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:09:49 AM

So far there is no tax on bitcoin but we are paying the exchanges through the fees  and I believe all those who are registered exchanges are paying taxes of course from the profit they get on every trade. As of now South Korea are trying to impose an almost 20% tax on every registered exchanges and I think many countries will also do this.
Hugis

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:42:24 AM

So far there is no tax on bitcoin but we are paying the exchanges through the fees  and I believe all those who are registered exchanges are paying taxes of course from the profit they get on every trade. As of now South Korea are trying to impose an almost 20% tax on every registered exchanges and I think many countries will also do this.

I think too would agree with taxing bitcoin if you would trade it to your own currency. Because it would make a economic lose if every corpoation in a country would make bitcoin as a transaction. Surely not common users are into in bitcoin. Rather than banning it, better make legal laws on how to manipulate bitcoin for advantage than seeing it as an illegal investment.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1498

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:15:10 AM

It is really hard to tax on the bitcoin transactions and based on the trade transactions. The tax will be imposed only when you exchange it for your local currency. Then only it can be considered as income. Otherwise, bitcoin will not allow you to spend it for a tangible things. Only when you exchange the money in to your local currency, it will allow you to spend and then only it can be considered as income. The tax can be imposed on that amount.

dokie987

Activity: 85

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:25:57 AM

As far as i know, there were no taxed implemented in trading bitcoin. Or maybe it depends on the country you are residing at.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: