Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 cross flow fan mod  (Read 408 times)
coinraiser (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:10:14 PM

Hi there,

Would it be possible to place S9 boards 3 in a row with a cross flow fan?Something like a R4 configuration.
Original fan have 210 CFM and unbelievable noise level.
Would something like this be good enough?

http://www.sinwan.com/sinwan_web/main/en/dc_spec.asp?Type=Cross%5FDC&Series=MCD642SP&SID=216000

Model No                           VDC    VDC          Watt    Amp    RPM           CFM    m3/min  Inch/H2O    mm    db(A)
MCD642SP-12H** (****#)    12    8~13.8    32    2.67     2600     260      7.4        0.21       5.33      53

Thx in advance
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:12:02 PM

CFM required does not change just because it is a longitudinal fan. Just 7.4CFM is not going to cut it. Aside from that you DO know that type of fan requires a shroud to direct airflow right?

Now a squirrel cage blower like used in a furnace - quiet and high volume.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
coinraiser (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:37:15 PM

I can 3D print those.Plan is to split the blower flow in 3 ways,each for one board.Think that the flow spread thru the boards will be better then from classical fan.
Please correct me if im wrong.

P.S i have one old S5 laying around.Can a hash board from s7 be connected to S5?Also is there a way to enable 4 board on S9 controller?

cr
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 10:31:49 PM

I can 3D print those.Plan is to split the blower flow in 3 ways,each for one board.Think that the flow spread thru the boards will be better then from classical fan.

P.S i have one old S5 laying around.Can a hash board from s7 be connected to S5?Also is there a way to enable 4 board on S9 controller?

cr

Blowing air across the top of one side of the heatsinks will do nothing for you. They are designed in a way that the airflow goes across all heatsinks in its tiny package. If you wanted a quiet miner, you shouldnt have bought a piece of industrial equipment.

No to both of your PS questions as well.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 10:45:19 PM

Be very careful when improvising ideas with fans for miners. They are loud for a reason--moving HIGH amounts of air.
Changing, removing, or tampering could result in the loss of your machine or cause a major fire!

If removing the noise is what you are after, you might check out this thread for sound proofing.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2245487.0

Be safe!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
coinraiser (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:20:31 AM

cr

Blowing air across the top of one side of the heatsinks will do nothing for you. They are designed in a way that the airflow goes across all heatsinks in its tiny package. If you wanted a quiet miner, you shouldnt have bought a piece of industrial equipment.

No to both of your PS questions as well.

It's working on R4.
Well i'm willing to experiment,is that your problem?

Simple explanation on PS questions would help.

Thx
coinraiser (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:37:52 AM

Be very careful when improvising ideas with fans for miners. They are loud for a reason--moving HIGH amounts of air.
Changing, removing, or tampering could result in the loss of your machine or cause a major fire!

If removing the noise is what you are after, you might check out this thread for sound proofing.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2245487.0

Be safe!

Got 2 boxes built.
R4 config is more appealing to me as a form of a home heater(ex.fan coil unit).
ZeroFossilFuel

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:24:29 PM

A comment made by NotFuzzyWarm made a lot of sense. Squirrel cage fans are quiet and powerful, albeit much less compact. Might even have enough CFM to only need one. Only other hurdle is the tach sense. Autotune S9 must have it. I suppose a 555 timer could generate a signal to fake the miner into thinking a fan was running at 6000 RPM at all times. Or just clip the fan blades and let the motor hubs spin freely without doing any of the work other than generating a tach signal, hence very little noise from the boxer fans.

Just forget about any warranty.

Z
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 10:25:28 PM

It's working on R4.

Thx

R4 is a completely different design with a different type of fan.

S5 controller/software doesnt support S7 boards, simple as that.

Firmware for the s9 is closed source, there is no way to enable an extra board.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Dibblah

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 10:01:10 PM

It's working on R4.

Thx

R4 is a completely different design with a different type of fan.

S5 controller/software doesnt support S7 boards, simple as that.

Firmware for the s9 is closed source, there is no way to enable an extra board.

BMMiner is open sourced. The only closed bit is the bitstream for the FPGA.

https://github.com/bitmaintech/bmminer-mix

Compilation isn't too hard and the source isn't terrible to read. Just make sure you have the 32 bit compatibility stuff installed for your toolchain and zlib if I recall.
the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:54:49 PM

You would need to mount the boards in the direction of the airflow.  Is that clear, you seem to have disregarded the other advice to that effect.

So let me reiterate:  if the air does not flow through the fins of the heatsinks, the chips will overheat and die young. 

Otherwise, go for it.  It's your miner, you can do whatever you want with it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: