Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:11:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: recover privkey after exporting from Qt?  (Read 4834 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:46:14 PM

is there such a thing as mounting a hard drive in Windows?
Yes, but if it's a virtual hard drive, you need a compatible VM. What soft were you hosting the VM with (vmware, hyper-v, virtual server, etc.) ?

vmware fusion

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

Cool, I never used it, but it should be easy enough, using google, to make a new vm and mount your old hard-drive image in this new VM.
Then run pywallet from this newly created vm, pointing to the partition of this old-restored-mounted-drive you think your wallet has ever been stored or copied to.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:26:43 AM

ok, installed python 2.7, twisted, and zope-interface.

how do i install pywallet, then run it on the C:drive?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:56:33 AM

download pywallet.py from github and run it from the windows command line.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:14:33 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 01:33:16 PM by jackjack

Yup

Code:
wget "http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wmXTdQrf" -O pywallet_2.1.0b4.py
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go(change this to something superior than your device size) --recov_outputdir .

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

The code was bugged for linux/mac, the last version is working: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wmXTdQrf

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

Yup

Code:
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go(change this to something superior than your device size) --recov_outputdir .

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered. 

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 10:01:52 PM

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered.  

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?

"pywallet.py --web" and then navigate to http://localhost:8989/, work with the entire pub key to find it "1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA"

This tool never failed me once and I thank jackjack for making it.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:22:12 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2013, 11:34:30 PM by cypherdoc

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered.  

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?

"pywallet.py --web" and then navigate to http://localhost:8989/, work with the entire pub key to find it "1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA"

This tool never failed me once and I thank jackjack for making it.

it doesn't appear that the web gui can recover a lone privkey if it's not in a wallet.  ie, it doesn't have the recovery feature.

i'm hoping the privkey is somewhere on this C: drive since it was generated on this machine.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:29:01 PM

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered. 

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?

1- Download pywallet_2.1.0b4.py to C:\   *
2- Create a dir named "recovered" on C:\  *
Code:
cd c:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
* It's a terrible idea to write files to the disk from where you want to recover lost wallets/private keys, but being it a VM I don't see any other way.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:51:17 PM

Yup

Code:
Code:

Code:

any further suggestions?

1- Download pywallet_2.1.0b4.py to C:\   *
2- Create a dir named "recovered" on C:\  *
Code:
cd c:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
* It's a terrible idea to write files to the disk from where you want to recover lost wallets/private keys, but being it a VM I don't see any other way.

i remembered incorrectly.  it was not generated on a vm.  

i am now on the exact Windows machine i generated "1cypher" on last year so if a privkey remnant is stored somewhere in the hard drive as jackjack suggests, then it should be here.

having said that, here is what i get when i execute your command:

Code:
C:\>python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go
 --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>

edit:  i originally installed pywallet to the Downloads folder but dragged it over to C: just b/c it didn't run when i initially directed it at Downloads.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:50:19 AM

Yup

Code:
Code:

Code:

any further suggestions?

Code:
cd c:

i am now on the exact Windows machine i generated "1cypher" on last year so if a privkey remnant is stored somewhere in the hard drive as jackjack suggests, then it should be here.

Code:
C:\>python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go

edit:  i originally installed pywallet to the Downloads folder but dragged it over to C: just b/c it didn't run when i initially directed it at Downloads.

Your best bet is to work with the "wallet.dat" that once contained the priv key. Like psy previously said the C: drive was probably rewritten so you wouldn't have a chance of getting anything.

How about the Armory wallet? You imported the priv key with it?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 03:04:22 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2013, 03:15:57 PM by cypherdoc

Yup

Code:
Code:

Code:

any further suggestions?

Code:
cd c:

Code:

Your best bet is to work with the "wallet.dat" that once contained the priv key. Like psy previously said the C: drive was probably rewritten so you wouldn't have a chance of getting anything.

How about the Armory wallet? You imported the priv key with it?

actually i think the opposite.

i already dumped the keys twice, once using linux and once using 8989 in Windows, from this wallet.dat using jackjack's tool but it's not in there despite "1cypher..." being in there.  i think Armory extracts the privkey permanently.

seems my only chance is to recover it from somewhere on the hard drive.  remember, this hard drive has NOT been overwritten since the privkey was generated.  it is a Windows system on a Mac booted thru BootCamp.

jackjack's 8989 tool doesn't have a disk recovery mode.  and i can't seem to get the command line argument to work right despite installing python, twisted, zope-interface, pywallet, etc and using psy's/jackjacks commands.  it's probably some simple command line error i'm making.  i'm making sure all those tools are in the same folder along with a new directory called "recovery" when i run the command but nothing happens.  it just flips me back to the same command prompt.

edit:  just got this response from etotheipi:

" Nothing is stopping you from doing that.  The key data doesn't actually leave the original wallet.  It's just copied."

Huh
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:05:33 PM

What is the output of the following?
Code:

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 07:31:16 PM

What is the output of the following?
Code:

Code:

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

Thanks, I can't even read...

Try this then
Code:
pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"

" Nothing is stopping you from doing that.  The key data doesn't actually leave the original wallet.  It's just copied."
Yeah pretty much what I thought.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 12:50:26 AM

Thanks, I can't even read...

Try this then
Code:
pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"

" Nothing is stopping you from doing that.  The key data doesn't actually leave the original wallet.  It's just copied."
Yeah pretty much what I thought.

where do i find pycrypto and libssl?

Code:
C:\Python27>pywallet.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --reco
v_outputdir "C:\recovered"
WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
Can't open C:, check the path or try as root

C:\Python27>
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:13:59 AM

I think you can google them to find them but the problem here is not pycrypto or libssl

What you need to do is running the console as an administrator
Do this:

Then right click on cmd, Run as administrator

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:45:47 AM

I think you can google them to find them but the problem here is not pycrypto or libssl

What you need to do is running the console as an administrator
Do this:

Then right click on cmd, Run as administrator

still no go.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 04:16:25 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 06:50:32 AM by vokain

The hard drive data might be irrecoverable, but perhaps the thumb driives aren't? Maybe more efforts need to be centered in searching for the missing drives at this point.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: