Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:50:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Primecoin High Performance Linux Compilation Guide  (Read 43535 times)
eCoinomist

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:28:08 PM

@mikaelh, it seems to be crashing a lot with HP6:
Code:
primecoind: checkqueue.h:171: CCheckQueueControl<T>::CCheckQueueControl(CCheckQueue<T>*) [with T = CScriptCheck]: Assertion `pqueue->nTotal == pqueue->nIdle' failed.

I get a crash on 70% of machines in 5 minutes gap (16cores).

Though I did not use your Linux compliation, (used my own, since it worked better for me).

Do I need to install it your way for HP6 to work? Or perhaps Reboot?

eCoinomist

Activity: 112

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:33:42 PM

I do notice ~15% increase in PPS from 8.3k to 9.5k pps, and chain/hr seems to average 20, just found a block,

Tamis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 12:30:02 AM by Tamis

I did manage to make hp6 running with your already compiled files.
It runs fine but I do not see any wallet.dat anywhere ! I'm afraid there is none...
My primecoin directory has a /bin/64 folder with primecoind and primecoin-qt, I did not run primecoin-qt is this the reason ?

edit : ok I found it, all is well.
mikaelh (OP)

Activity: 301

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:22:51 PM

@mikaelh, it seems to be crashing a lot with HP6:
Code:
primecoind: checkqueue.h:171: CCheckQueueControl<T>::CCheckQueueControl(CCheckQueue<T>*) [with T = CScriptCheck]: Assertion `pqueue->nTotal == pqueue->nIdle' failed.

I get a crash on 70% of machines in 5 minutes gap (16cores).

Though I did not use your Linux compliation, (used my own, since it worked better for me).

Do I need to install it your way for HP6 to work? Or perhaps Reboot?

No, that just means the bug isn't fixed. I'll look at it again tomorrow.
maco

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Still no solution for this... Swap doesn't work for me. It's restricted by host.
I got up all the way to the make -f makefile.unix   and this is what I get:

g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [obj/alert.o] Error 4
Entz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:30:40 PM

If you cannot increase your swap. Edit makefile.unix and remove -O2 from the xCXXFLAGS (line 108)

eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:34:54 PM

Or compile on a machine that has enough RAM (like a VM on your Windows PC).

maco

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:38:19 PM

If you cannot increase your swap. Edit makefile.unix and remove -O2 from the xCXXFLAGS (line 108)

ohh that's why. I'll try that and report back. That sounds about right as I did that a while back and it worked.
eule

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:42:40 PM

Note that this will probably lead to a lower mining performance, don't know by how much though.

maco

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:08:50 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 01:23:32 AM by maco

ohh that's why. I'll try that and report back. That sounds about right as I did that a while back and it worked.

can you give me the exact line? I removed -O2 and kept xCXXFLAGS=
and I still get the same error. This is how it looks now. and it wasn't -O2 it was -O3

xCXXFLAGS= -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter \

Entz

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 01:45:23 AM

That is the correct line, the key is to have no -O#    (as mentioned above this is likely a bad thing, no optimizations). Not sure why you have -O3

Should be:
xCXXFLAGS=-pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter \

Which is what you have. If you are compiling from source you really should have (assuming its not on a vps that hides the cpu info)

xCXXFLAGS=-march=native -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter \

How much ram does the machine have?  and you are sure you cannot add swap?  If not then chances are you are going to have to build it on another machine or use the linux pre-compiled binaries listed in the official HP thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255782.0 -- paying attention to the warning)

maco

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 02:00:43 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 02:55:55 AM by maco

That is the correct line, the key is to have no -O#    (as mentioned above this is likely a bad thing, no optimizations). Not sure why you have -O3

Should be:
xCXXFLAGS=-pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter \

Which is what you have. If you are compiling from source you really should have (assuming its not on a vps that hides the cpu info)

xCXXFLAGS=-march=native -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter \

How much ram does the machine have?  and you are sure you cannot add swap?  If not then chances are you are going to have to build it on another machine or use the linux pre-compiled binaries listed in the official HP thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255782.0 -- paying attention to the warning)

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying this now. You are right! I used Chemsist build before this and i had to change those settings to the one you saw with O3 in order to optimize it and get it t work. Yes, I am sure I cannot use swap because the company has restricted my use of it, even though I expanded to larger ram space. I have 512 MB RAM right now.

Do I need to use make clean? before configuring?

Edit: SOLVED. I upgraded to 1024 MB RAM and got it working just fine. The company doesn't want to give me permission to enable swap so this was an easier fix than I thought. Simply Upgrade, then downgrade if you need to, to save the $2.00 I would just keep it at 1024 MB. It seems more stable now.
Entz

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:56:42 AM

Glad you got it working.

To answer your question, I almost always delete the primecoin source directory and rebuild from scratch when a major release (i.e. HP4 to HP5) is done to avoid having an old files around. I would only do a make clean if you are changing compiler flags imo. In the case of a "killed" gcc you dont want to recompile more than you have to.

maco

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 03:58:32 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 04:15:42 AM by maco

Glad you got it working.

To answer your question, I almost always delete the primecoin source directory and rebuild from scratch when a major release (i.e. HP4 to HP5) is done to avoid having an old files around. I would only do a make clean if you are changing compiler flags imo. In the case of a "killed" gcc you dont want to recompile more than you have to.

Awesome Thanks! Which directory/source exactly? /.primecoin/ correct?
I think you are right about that because the problem is re-occurring with rpcuser/password. It might have my old settings.
error: incorrect rpcuser or rpcpassword (authorization failed)
Entz

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:17:06 AM

the directory you uncompressed the code into (i.e. the one one with the src folder, bitcoin-qt.pro, INSTALL, COPYING etc) and are compiling from.

Not familiar with that error sorry.

*Never * delete .primecoin as it contains your wallet and conf files.

maco

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:21:03 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 08:15:36 AM by maco

Thanks entz
wetroof

Activity: 75

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:09:21 AM

nvm..
eule

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 11:18:44 AM

For comparison: 7 cores of an i7 930 get ~2100pps on Debianx64. Core2Duo 2.13GHz gets ~600pps on Win7 x64. Interestingly about the same performance per core although the i7 should be a faster. I set the sievesize of the i7 to 4096000 and the C2D to 2048000, not sure if those are good values, in testnet they seemed pretty fine. i7 got no blocks for over a week while the Core2Duo just found one tonight, so it's still got a lot to do with luck.

edit: Great, now you replaced your question with nvm and my post is pretty much useless.  Tongue

adambeazley

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 06:44:05 PM

Very strange...

I do
./run-primecoind
then
primecoind getmininginfo
error: couldn't connect to server

So i try forceing it to start with