Print  
Author Topic: eMunie  (Read 6561 times)
eCoinomist

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:10:33 PM

Most people moaning in this thread don't seem to understand the concept of "agile" deployment. No one ever said it's going to be closed source forever, shall I make it bold and clear that it's ONLY CLOSED_SOURCE FOR 12 MONTHS?

Why is closed source a requirement of agile deployment?

Because automated update can roll out anytime during this closed-source period. This will include things like: New features (exchange for example, bug fixes, new security enhancements, etc.) eMunie is  alot more complex than Bitcoin, and it does aim to do a lot more, to function like a "real" currency with similar or better features than traditional banks can offer. That fact alone will force it to be closed source for sometime.

The alt-copy is actually only a secondary concern, not so major as many people think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eCoinomist

Activity: 112

Independent Analyst

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 02:15:09 PM

So, the way some people here use the term "centralized" has nothing to do with how the protocol functions, whether it is based on a peer-to-peer network etc.

When people say closed source here they mean the source code will not allow other developers to modify for 12 months.

But from end-user point of view in all other aspects, it's a decentralised system just like Bitcoin (you have control of your client and what you want it to do), but with multiple chains (instead of single block chain like Bitcoin).

Yes, it's peer-to-peer network protocol.
Not much info yet, but here is quick infographic with some explanation how it works:
http://ecoinomist.com/emunie-block-tree-transaction-chain-infographic

AgentME

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:18:11 PM

So, the way some people here use the term "centralized" has nothing to do with how the protocol functions, whether it is based on a peer-to-peer network etc.

Decentralized in the case of Bitcoin means more than just the fact that the network is peer-to-peer. It's also the fact that no entity, no person, no bank, no government has complete control over the code everyone uses.
bahamapascal

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:22:38 PM

Well I am for closed source at the beginning, I think its the only way to make it a success. Tough I do think that the code should be released to some trusted members of bitcointalk so they can ensure that there is nothing "bad" in the code.
What do you guys think would happen if it gets release open cource and three weeks later there are ten different "copy and paste" coins releases?Would that be good for any body?
I think something smiler has already happened once with  ppcoin, (I think) first coin to use POS. Now there are like four or more copycoins (BTG,BTB,CAP, etz.), none of which are a real success and ppcoin is also not doing to well...

AgentME

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:29:18 PM

What do you guys think would happen if it gets release open cource and three weeks later there are ten different "copy and paste" coins releases?Would that be good for any body?

How would that be very different than what's already happening?

I think something smiler has already happened once with  ppcoin, (I think) first coin to use POS. Now there are like four or more copycoins (BTG,BTB,CAP, etz.), none of which are a real success and ppcoin is also not doing to well...

I've never heard of any of those copycoins, and everywhere I look, PPC is mentioned as one of the big four of Bitcoin, Namecoin, PPcoin, and Litecoin. Are you arguing for or against open source there?
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:48:00 PM

Yes, it's peer-to-peer network protocol.
Being peer-to-peer is worth precisely ZERO if you have complete control over the code.
You can just do whatever you want --> it's centralised.
Pushing this "decentralised" claims might be considered fraud, as far as I know.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:54:41 PM

Well I am for closed source at the beginning, I think its the only way to make it a success. Tough I do think that the code should be released to some trusted members of bitcointalk so they can ensure that there is nothing "bad" in the code.

http://coinmarketcap.com/

Look at the marketcap of PPcoin, where are the copycats standing? Behind it. That PPcoin isn't a big succes at the moment has nothing to do with copycats. If Sunny released it closed source, we wouldn't even mention it anymore.

Litecoin who has such a huge number of copycats that it isn't even countable, where is Litecoin standing? 2nd, the copycats doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think the closed source will hurt it much more, it just isn't wise to run a closed source currency. If you put a lot of money in the currency en the developer choose to stop the support or gets hit by a bus, no other developer can pick it up. It isn't decentralized, 1 or a few people control the code. Nobody knows if it is secure to run, could be a walletstealer for all we know...

If I where you guys, I would really rethink this idea.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:58:47 PM

It will be the first digital currency to have integrated decentralised exchange right inside the client. Dan (the developer) is currently working on first beta client to handle basic transactions, integrated exchange is scheduled to be released soon on second phase if I'm correct.

So it is really just like PXC? The whole point of the coin is for the dev/team to produce long-term revenue streams for themselves through micro-transactions?

Or does the exchange operate with 0% transaction fees and is powered via the miners? Explain decentrailized more if you can.

He can't. The "decentralized" exchange is just a huge waste of bandwidth making *everyone* keep track of bids and asks over the protocol while your fiat money is still just as centralized sitting on dev-approved, regular ol' centralized exchanges. It is all-around a dumb idea.

TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:02:16 PM

Most people moaning in this thread don't seem to understand the concept of "agile" deployment. No one ever said it's going to be closed source forever, shall I make it bold and clear that it's ONLY CLOSED_SOURCE FOR 12 MONTHS?

I remember another 'coin' who said they were only going to be closed source 'for now' .. Ripple

The entire point of crypto currency is that the openness of design allows for 100% vetting of code, mining, block chain etc. once you sprinkle in even a single grain of "need of trust" into this the entire idea crumbles.

I like the technical aspects of eMunie, but pre-mine + closed source does not pair well at all..
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1042
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 03:58:45 PM

Well, even if it is closed source, it looks like a hell of a lot more innovative than these shit scrypt coins that come out every day. I look forward to eMunie, and that will be the deciding factor for me.

TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:04:56 PM

Well, even if it is closed source, it looks like a hell of a lot more innovative than these shit scrypt coins that come out every day. I look forward to eMunie, and that will be the deciding factor for me.

Who cares how 'innovative' it is when you can't verify the code or 'honesty' impartially?
bahamapascal

Activity: 695

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:18:19 PM

http://coinmarketcap.com/

Look at the marketcap of PPcoin, where are the copycats standing? Behind it. That PPcoin isn't a big succes at the moment has nothing to do with copycats. If Sunny released it closed source, we wouldn't even mention it anymore.

Litecoin who has such a huge number of copycats that it isn't even countable, where is Litecoin standing? 2nd, the copycats doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think the closed source will hurt it much more, it just isn't wise to run a closed source currency. If you put a lot of money in the currency en the developer choose to stop the support or gets hit by a bus, no other developer can pick it up. It isn't decentralized, 1 or a few people control the code. Nobody knows if it is secure to run, could be a walletstealer for all we know...

If I where you guys, I would really rethink this idea.

Well that is a good point, Litcoin did very well that is true...but I do think that times have changed a bit since then. When litecoin was released back in 2011 a new coin was something special. Now since beginning of this year there have been so many new coin releases that a new coin is nothing special anymore. Now the question would be, what would have happened if litcoin would have been released beginning of this year? Or other way around, what would have happened if all of the new coins would have been released back in 2011 shortly after litecoin? I think that Litcoin would not have been such an "success" as it has become. I think that the time changed and that something that worked two years ago might not be working that good this year anymore.
By the way, I am absolutely for open source, but I think that in that case open source might be something not wise to do.
And, if trusted members of bitcointalk can verify the code and we all know it is clean, I don´t see a reason why we would need the source code unless for making a copiecoin, or would there be another reason?
n4ru

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:20:04 PM

It will be the first digital currency to have integrated decentralised exchange right inside the client. Dan (the developer) is currently working on first beta client to handle basic transactions, integrated exchange is scheduled to be released soon on second phase if I'm correct.

I was pretty enthusiastic before I realized its being released as closed source. Game over. No need for a Ripplescam-2.
Was intrigued up until I read this.

NTY.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

And, if trusted members of bitcointalk can verify the code and we all know it is clean
Huh
I want everyone to be able to verify the code, otherwise it's still centralised.

btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:19:23 PM

Well I was excited until I read everybody here saying that it's now closed source...
ohiwastedmylif

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 05:23:16 PM

For all we know it is a massive botnet coin used to destroy other coins.

Why not innovate upon what is existing and what is working? I know thinking is hard, but I am sure there is plenty more room for development. Closed vs open is what makes a coin a crypto-currency vs a crapto-currency.

MΣC | MAvSLa1ZYpk3AsDeqj9njfVkaunJRDu2VZ
http://www.megacoin.co.nz/
mechs

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

It is really a shame - it seems like a innovative currency and idea.  However, the key to a new currency is a clean launch.  It will be a disaster between the huge pre-mine snd the closed source.  Just a waste of time.
emerefer

Activity: 338

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:59:48 PM

It is really a shame - it seems like a innovative currency and idea.  However, the key to a new currency is a clean launch.  It will be a disaster between the huge pre-mine snd the closed source.  Just a waste of time.

No this is only a key to a new currency in this community. And the idea here is to not market emunie to this community.  To think if this community doesnt accept it will fail is completely stupid and you think way to highly of yourself.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:11:45 PM

No this is only a key to a new currency in this community. And the idea here is to not market emunie to this community.  To think if this community doesnt accept it will fail is completely stupid and you think way to highly of yourself.
So why post here at all.
Go away to your magic forest where all people love you, and stop bullshitting us.

emerefer

Activity: 338

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:18:17 PM

So why post here at all.
Go away to your magic forest where all people love you, and stop bullshitting us.

Im sorry is this section of the forum only for alternate cryptocurrencies that are open source?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: