Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:22:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] 1 BTC for sending BTC to addresses via sendmany  (Read 1669 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:00:39 AM

I have a list of around 35,000 addresses that I would like recorded in the blockchain.  PM me for the list of addresses if you are serious about completing this bounty, and include the timeline in which you expect to complete the offer.  Send 1 satoshi to each address on the list via sendmany, send me proof of doing so by sending me the transaction ID(s) you generated, and I will send you 1 BTC once all transactions have confirmed.  You must cover the fees, which I expect to total around 0.6 BTC, but could be less.  I did a test with 2,000 addresses, and the fee was 0.0345 BTC.

Quicker is better, but if you do not complete the job within the timeline you specify, then I may send the job to another willing participant, and I will not reimburse you for whatever efforts you have made up to that point.  I will, however, PM you back to let you know if the job has been sent to someone else.
hl5460
Legendary

Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000

news.8btc.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 07:13:07 AM

Well, maybe OP should place a bounty for an app for this purpose.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:29:51 AM

that is a lot of work for 40$
Is it?  I was hoping some people would already have an easy way to use sendmany.

Well, maybe OP should place a bounty for an app for this purpose.
I don't necessarily want an app, I just want it done.  I know many people use sendmany for a variety of reasons - it's not a new thing.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 07:37:13 AM

Technically you could force send a 35,000 sat transaction with a very small fee (~0.1 BTC) or no fee at all, it'd just take a very long time to confirm. But a sendmany of 35,000 addresses? That's complete blockchain spam, might cause some issues.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:14:12 AM

Please don't do this and spam the blockchain.
Super T

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:51:59 AM

Why should OP not be allowed to do this?  The blockchain is a fantastic tool for innovation far beyond currency transactions, but more fundamentally, this stuff is either allowed or it is not, and the judgement of what is allowed should not be open to interpretation, it should be the boundary of what is technically possible.

If there are reasons why this sort of thing should be prevented, then either the platform needs to be improved to better cope with the impact, or the activity needs to be systemically prohibited, the focus should be on platform evolution through innovation, not on telling off community members who are playing within the rules (albeit at the boundaries).

Just my 2c.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 08:58:08 AM

Why should OP not be allowed to do this?  The blockchain is a fantastic tool for innovation far beyond currency transactions, but more fundamentally, this stuff is either allowed or it is not, and the judgement of what is allowed should not be open to interpretation, it should be the boundary of what is technically possible.

If there are reasons why this sort of thing should be prevented, then either the platform needs to be improved to better cope with the impact, or the activity needs to be systemically prohibited, the focus should be on platform evolution through innovation, not on telling off community members who are playing within the rules (albeit at the boundaries).

Just my 2c.

The transaction would take up so much space that a block probably wouldn't be able to cope with many other transactions in the block that the big tx is included in, so everyone else has to wait much longer for confirmations.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:24:39 AM

Doesn't that conflict with the recent protocol change to reduce spam where you cannot spend single satoshis anymore?

Also, if a public protocol has to rely on "please don't do it because it would cause problems" then the protocol is desgined to fail.
The blockchain has to be able to deal with such a transaction, either by successfully processing it, or by rejecting it.
Otherwise Bitcoin would be instantly ddos'ed if this transaction would be a problem.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
jacktarli

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 11:53:55 AM

How do bounties work? What will you gain by sending BTC to all these addresses? Someone please explain in detail, thanks!
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 01:43:20 PM

Is it?  I was hoping some people would already have an easy way to use sendmany.

Yeah we all have scripts lying around that do just that... Sending a Satoshi to 35k addresses is like my hobby.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 02:23:17 PM

Yeah we all have scripts lying around that do just that... Sending a Satoshi to 35k addresses is like my hobby.

Thread was kinda meh but snark saved it.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:37:18 PM

Doesn't that conflict with the recent protocol change to reduce spam where you cannot spend single satoshis anymore?

Also, if a public protocol has to rely on "please don't do it because it would cause problems" then the protocol is desgined to fail.
The blockchain has to be able to deal with such a transaction, either by successfully processing it, or by rejecting it.
Otherwise Bitcoin would be instantly ddos'ed if this transaction would be a problem.

They wouldn't be spendable without adding to the balance in a given address, you are correct.

How do bounties work? What will you gain by sending BTC to all these addresses? Someone please explain in detail, thanks!
It just means I will send you 1 BTC when the action is complete.  It's not something that happens automatically.

Great!  Please PM me for the list of addresses so you can get right on that!
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 10:37:50 PM

Guys please stop the sad "don't do it / spam! / w/e" argument...

35000 is nothing.  One small e-mail spam campaign has 50k addresses, and single mail servers handle that.

If our uber p2p fiat-killer protocol can't handle that, then FUCK US ALL. What the hell are we doing here?

We might as well go and just start a vegetable garden if caution is all we can handle.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:10:53 AM

The problem is that the OP is being very cheap. He sells first bit addresses for $20 a pop on his site but wants to pay us (0.4*85/35000)= a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a US cent per address.
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:19:57 AM

If you can't run your business yourself, don't ask other people to do the hard parts for you.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:43:24 AM

The problem is that the OP is being very cheap. He sells first bit addresses for $20 a pop on his site but wants to pay us (0.4*85/35000)= a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a US cent per address.
I am open to offers.

If you can't run your business yourself, don't ask other people to do the hard parts for you.
I'm outsourcing... why is that a problem for you?
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:21:00 PM

i dont think it would affect the blockchain that much as the transactions would have little to no fees included so they will constantly get pushed into different block, it would also take about a week to get all the transactions through the block chain XD

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:25:05 PM

+1

You can't just hope "everyone will be nice and good", especially since you can enforce rules.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:58:42 PM

I have a list of around 35,000 addresses that I would like recorded in the blockchain.
let me guess: you're squatting firstbits addresses?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 02:59:17 PM

Totally agree with you here.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: