Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:48:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network vs Bitcoin cash  (Read 1394 times)
complexMachines9 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:51:33 AM

hello I want to know your thoughts on Lightning network vs Bitcoin cash Smiley

Lightning network off chain is not as secure as bitcoin cash, or are they the same?

not sure because i go on reddit /r/BTC and they say very bad things about lightning! Sad
redigaffi

Activity: 142
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:17:41 PM

Lightning nodes will remove the decentralization, and those who hold those nodes will have the power. Who will hold these nodes? The banks. Bitcoin sold his soul.

Earn Money With Skill while having fun, Answer this 6 questions and get a bonus when the project get's launched:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCRubC4wu4seHYdDqiZDFsXizqaViUnOtE5sZcx3spjGc84A/viewform
kingaltcoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:36:15 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Lightning nodes will remove the decentralization, and those who hold those nodes will have the power. Who will hold these nodes? The banks. Bitcoin sold his soul.

Who told you that bullshit?

Lightning nodes will be implemented in wallet services which we use today like Mycellium, Copay, Coinomi etc. and also on some hardware wallets like Trezor, Ledger etc. On the contrary, Coinbase already has some kind of "off-chain" transaction capabilities between Coinbase users from their inception.
No nodes will have the power to alter any terms and conditions of lightning network payment channels since they'll be controlled solely between the buyer and the seller. Nodes will just act as a medium to conduct the processes.

People like Roger Ver is brainwashing new individuals like you into thinking that lightning network = centralization.  It's their own altcoin which is = centralization since miners have the power to control the block sizes in their bcash crap coin.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:41:53 PM

Lightning network off chain is not as secure as bitcoin cash, or are they the same?

not sure because i go on reddit /r/BTC and they say very bad things about lightning! Sad
Stay away from r/BTC for the sake of your sanity and IQ.
Prolonged reading of r/BTC could lead to your IQ dropping by as much as 50 points or you becoming one of Roger's mindless zombies that think bitcoin cash is bitcoin .
kingaltcoins

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:16:37 PM

Stay away from r/BTC for the sake of your sanity and IQ.
Prolonged reading of r/BTC could lead to your IQ dropping by as much as 50 points or you becoming one of Roger's mindless zombies that think bitcoin cash is bitcoin .

Both r/BTC and r/flatearth are equally cancerous. These individuals should stop reproducing.

OP, if you really wanna waste your time, you might as well do something rather than looking into the garbage sections of reddit. What core devs are trying to do in order to curb the scalability solutions will never penetrate inside the brains of multi-millionaires who just doesn't know anything beyond making money. That's why these species have a seperate space to form their own bubble full of sock-puppets.
cupronickel

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:11:45 PM

I would not be concerned about security on LN. Really.

Vires in Numeris
redigaffi

Activity: 142
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:11:11 PM

Lightning nodes will be implemented in wallet services which we use today like Mycellium, Copay, Coinomi etc. and also on some hardware wallets like Trezor, Ledger etc. On the contrary, Coinbase already has some kind of "off-chain" transaction capabilities between Coinbase users from their inception.
No nodes will have the power to alter any terms and conditions of lightning network payment channels since they'll be controlled solely between the buyer and the seller. Nodes will just act as a medium to conduct the processes.

People like Roger Ver is brainwashing new individuals like you into thinking that lightning network = centralization.  It's their own altcoin which is = centralization since miners have the power to control the block sizes in their bcash crap coin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHFrf5ci_g&t=1s

Earn Money With Skill while having fun, Answer this 6 questions and get a bonus when the project get's launched:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCRubC4wu4seHYdDqiZDFsXizqaViUnOtE5sZcx3spjGc84A/viewform
kingaltcoins

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:02:15 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2017, 09:55:51 PM by kingaltcoins

You clearly got brainwashed by the false agenda with that video.
If you know the Big-O complexity algorithm, it's clear that Bitcoin is not scalable, because it follows the O(n2) curve.
Thus, Bitcoin needs to scale in the same way the internet does, with additional protocol layers like lightning networks and sidechains.

I would recommend you to learn how complexities work before making conclusions based off of fake agendas. Also watch this instead: https://youtu.be/AecPrwqjbGw
ir.hn

Merit: 54

Consensus is Constitution

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:26:47 PM

I'm a small blocker, but mining is the aspect of bitcoin that was designed to decentralize.  It requires work to do so people can't just mine for free.  It requires investment for your vote to count.  This is why we mine.

So if miners control the network, then bitcoin is working as designed.

kingaltcoins

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:35:05 PM

I'm a small blocker, but mining is the aspect of bitcoin that was designed to decentralize.  It requires work to do so people can't just mine for free.  It requires investment for your vote to count.  This is why we mine.

Absolute bullshit. Miners will never be given full power let alone be having an option to choose block sizes. Bitmain has already been caught doing some shady shits in the past before the bcash split ... Go figure the terms: ASICBOOST and ANTBLEED scandals.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not gonna happen in Bitcoin. Miners will never be given any extra privilege. Move your miners to Btrash if you have to and we won't miss you.
ir.hn

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:37:29 PM

Absolute bullshit. Miners will never be given full power let alone be having an option to choose block sizes. Bitmain has already been caught doing some shady shits in the past before the bcash split ... Go figure the terms: ASICBOOST and ANTBLEED

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not gonna happen in Bitcoin. Miners will never be given any extra privilege. Move your miners to Btrash if you have to and we won't miss you.

Um yes they do.  If 51% of miners want anything at all, they can fork everyone else off the blockchain that doesn't use their protocol.

hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 2148

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:43:50 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2017, 08:15:41 AM by hatshepsut93

Um yes they do.  If 51% of miners want anything at all, they can fork everyone else off the blockchain that doesn't use their protocol.

This kind of uneducated nonsense will (hopefully) get you banned for a few days if you'll continue spreading misinformation on this board. If you are not trolling, you will have an incentive to read some good resources that explain Bitcoin's protocol (you can find a lot of quality stuff here: http://lopp.net/bitcoin.html), and if you are trolling, it will be a good riddance.
ir.hn

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:47:14 PM

Um yes they do.  If 51% of miners want anything at all, they can fork everyone else off the blockchain that doesn't use their protocol.

This kind of uneducated nonsense will (hopefully) get you banned for a few days if you'll continue spreading misinformation on this board. If you are not trolling, you will have an incentive to read some good resources that explain Bitcoin's protocol (you can find a lot of quality stuff here: http://lopp.net/bitcoin.html), and if are trolling, it will be a good riddance.

If I am wrong please explain my error instead of deliberately maliciously threatening me.  Please explain why 51% of mining power cannot create a chain fork.

nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 11:04:20 PM

Both r/BTC and r/flatearth are equally cancerous. These individuals should stop reproducing.

Quoted because that makes me wish I had more available space in my signature.

Bitmain has already been caught doing some shady shits in the past before the bcash split ... Go figure the terms: ASICBOOST and ANTBLEED scandals.

Some handy references:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-9230

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2017-April/013996.html

N.b. that the altcoin deceptively misnamed “Bitcoin Cash” is still wide open to covert exploitation of ASICBOOST.  Add in the way its DAA could be gamed before its November hardfork, and there was in substantial essence an on-the-fly BCH premine with Jihan (Bitmain) getting up to a 30% cost advantage over other miners.  That last advantage remains.  Anybody who is not Jihan and mines BCH, is a patsy for Jihan.

Um yes they do.  If 51% of miners want anything at all, they can fork everyone else off the blockchain that doesn't use their protocol.

This kind of uneducated nonsense will (hopefully) get you banned for a few days if you'll continue spreading misinformation on this board. If you are not trolling, you will have an incentive to read some good resources that explain Bitcoin's protocol (you can find a lot of quality stuff here: http://lopp.net/bitcoin.html), and if are trolling, it will be a good riddance.

If I am wrong please explain my error instead of deliberately maliciously threatening me.  Please explain why 51% of mining power cannot create a chain fork.

You are deliberately, maliciously lying, and spamming your lies over multiple threads in a forum designated for well-informed technical discussion.  But if you want to play stupid, go read my other recent reply, q.v.:

[...]

General point:  There is a common misconception about the role of miners.  Miners have one, only one, and exactly one job:  To provide the ordering of transactions in a Byzantine fault-tolerant manner (which in turn prevents double-spends).  That’s what miners do.  That is all miners do.  Granted, it is an important and resource-intensive job; that’s why miners get paid for it.  But that is the one and only security function of miners.

[...]

Full nodes do not blindly “follow the longest chain”.  They follow the chain independently validated by them which has the highest total POW.  A miner who produced invalid blocks would be wasting his hashrate, and likely risking widespread blacklisting of his IP address.  It doesn’t matter if the invalid blocks steal money from Segwit transactions, steal money from old-style transactions, create 21 billion new coins, or are filled with gibberish from /dev/random.  An invalid block is an invalid block, and shall be promptly discarded by all full nodes—period.

ir.hn is creating nonsensical non-arguments by exploiting the aforesaid misconception about the role of miners.  After all the attempts others have made to explain on this and other points, I cannot but conclude that ir.hn is maliciously spreading misinformation.  I write this post for the benefit of others.  I am uninterested in arguing with somebody who is a deliberate liar and/or so manifestly ineducable as to appear braindead.

Andre_Goldman

Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 11:26:41 PM

Honestly ... regards to scalability I would like to see simulations ( as we often do while design networks )

Patent1number: ****-****
hopeAo

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 08:04:28 AM

The main purpose of Lightning Network is to address scalability. More specifically, providing a much higher transaction throughput at reduced fees through payment channels. An intriguing concept, especially when considering Bitcoin’s current throughput and fees situation. With the transaction costs mounting several times this year alone, a cheap solution will have a lot of merit. However, Bitcoin Cash provides a similar functionality and some added features.

Both systems work completely different, to say the least. Secondly, people claim the Lightning Network will only work for small transactions. That is the main objective, granted, but people can still use Bitcoin for larger amounts. Bitcoin Cash has no real advantage here either, despite its “unlimited” transaction size.

The Lightning Network still doesn’t require actual network confirmations like Bitcoin Cash does right now.  Moreover, BCH has no unlimited transaction size either. Right now, it appears to be capped at 24 TX per second, which isn’t exactly stellar either. 

In the end, people are free to use whichever solution they like best. From a technical point of view, the Lightning Network and Bitcoin Cash are nothing alike whatsoever. There will always be squabbles between BCH and BTC supporters, that much is evident. The Lightning Network is an exciting development, although its actual sue cases have yet to be determined.

http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/bitcoin-cash-better-lightning-network/
icanscript

Activity: 686

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:26:45 PM

Lightning Network is best idea to solve all bitcoin problems.
Perhaps the best, but unfortunately not resolved in time.
Now this is becoming a serious problem with the BCH
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:35:24 PM

Lightning Network is best idea to solve all bitcoin problems.

You cant just throw statements like that, without backing them up. Please provide us with the reasons why you are saying so.
benzmuircroft

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 02:46:38 PM

can we earn for operating payment channels? If they run from inside your wallet as I'm assuming from the word network in the name
Xynerise

Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:37:29 PM

can we earn for operating payment channels? If they run from inside your wallet as I'm assuming from the word network in the name
Yes, you can.
Like the Bitcoin network, the lightning network will also operate on a model of market-driven transaction fees. However, these are not the same fees paid to miners on the Bitcoin blockchain.
Nodes will charge you to use their channel, and if you run a node, you will receive payments from users using your payment channel.
The fees, however, will not be as much as an on-chain transaction, but much much less.
You can read this article for more info: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-lightning-network-creators-fees-will-be-effectively-zero-1459955513/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: