Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Chrono Kings - a game/world Within the Block Chain  (Read 20662 times)
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:36:03 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2017, 03:41:24 PM by snailbrain

Road map:

ChronoKings v0.1 - proof-of-concept - done (won't be supported) -
https://github.com/chronokings/chronokings
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/zc2kmacth1e1t/Chronokings

HunterCoin - based on the proof-of-concept - RELEASED
RELEASE THREAD https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435170.0
Source: https://github.com/chronokings/huntercoin
Binaries: www.huntercoin.org

Wiki: http://wiki.huntercoin.org/

Chronokings v0.2 - a more advanced MMO-RTS/RPG

Chrono Kings

This will be a decentralized currency/game (mmorpg? mmorts? a new genre?), using Bitcoin-style internal currency. The whole game/world will take place within the block chain using special transactions to denote player moves.

To achieve this, a modified fork of Namecoin will be used (algo currently sha256, but may change later, merge mining may be an option). This coin cannot and will not be used as an alternative to Namecoin. Names will be used as characters/players within the virtual world.

Miners will receive 1 to 40% (TBD) of the Block reward, the rest goes into the game... miners will generate more coins from "taxes"

One of the advantages of Chronokings, is that expensive hardware is not required to receive a decentralized cryptographic secure currency.. teamwork, strategy and time will be the main ways to receive coins.

Notes on basic game details (these are subject to change):

•   The game will be a decentralised tile based MMO game, rpg/rts
•   It will be FFA PVP ruleset (Free For All, Player Vs Player)(or factions)
•   Sandbox, Persistent World.
•   Multiple Races (Orc, Elf, Human etc. will be no advantage, or may be just 1 race but different colours)
•   4 Classes (for now)
  • Warrior
  • Rogue
  • Healer
  • Civilian
•   Built in Messaging System, you can message once per block with your character, all message will (at first) be public.. Global Chat and Local(personal chat) of which the client will display local messages if the player is within x amount of squares distance.
•   Spells/Attacks (probably limited to 3 each). (which will have x block recast)
•   Characters can make one action per block. For example, move one square and/or cast an ability (or speak)
•   Between 30-60 second block time (move time).
•   There will be Harvest areas on the map which grow over time (this will be taken from block reward and/or character cost). These areas will need to be protected from rivals and raiding parties.
•   A single item which gives the player approximately 15% of the block reward per block - The Crown of Fortune (the Ultimate Item)…
•   Create walls (buildings), and destroy them.
•   Control as many characters as you wish (at a cost).
•   Receive a coin when you kill a player (this is taken from the cost of the “dead” character.. e.g. 1 coin).
•   The Map can expand infinitely based on the number of players alive in game.
•   Artefacts – These are rare items (only a few exist, and are never respawned). An example being the Ring of Regeneration, which will regenerate X health points per block.
•   Possibly  Add - Throne of Fortune - 1 Square on the Map of which whomever is on the square receives 15% of Block Reward.. The Ultimate task would be to control both the Crown of Fortune on the Throne of Fortune square.
•   Players can specify an address to receive rewards to.. this will be like a guildbank/pool (in a way).. this will allow for better co-operation with other players.
•   Harvesters may have to "bank" their harvests in a bank (a tile on the map)... this may be dangerous..
•   Rogues may have Invisibility ability (lasts x blocks).. cannot attack while invis
•   Alliances

Why? Fun, Experiment, Different.. Problems? Yes

want to help?
Post here with thoughts or donate:

BTC: 14Wr7DGVqBLgPo4m6AiFwj1eo6aoBcdHLF
NMC: NGHC4FX13fWUse3CYCTEWxybp8H9Y76hQR

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:56:45 PM

Neat idea, I'd be happy to have you in the Alt Currencies section should you decide its worth doing.

edit* The biggest issue people have with new coins is the lack of innovation. Its just lazy if people copy others. Your idea on the otherhand is a new idea, and I'd say a cool one if you had the dev team / knowhow to do it.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:06:44 AM

Would be neat if you could make the game use other cryptocurrencies as currency, instead of having its own (this will prevent the usual pump-and-dump scammers from ruining it)..
Should definitely make it support merged mining so pools can support it.

I wonder if there'd be any way to make this MOO-like?
eg, have the virtual world be user-programmable rather than hardcoding the game in the rules.

forsetifox

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:06:50 AM

I'd love to see this working. Count me in as a beta tester.
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:12:02 AM

Oh hell yes. Cheesy
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:19:07 AM

Would be neat if you could make the game use other cryptocurrencies as currency, instead of having its own (this will prevent the usual pump-and-dump scammers from ruining it)..

thanks...

this would be more difficult (your first part)...

2nd part:
getting a pool to merge mine this coin from the start will be "hard work?", or do you know if it wouldn't Smiley (if we used sha256)..

also, we want to get the coins spread out as much as possible at release (a giveaway will have to be done instantly on launch also).. otherwise only certain players/miners will be in the game (the ones with all the coins), and they will then be able to monopoly even more coins from inside the game..

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:32:45 AM

thanks...

this would be more difficult (your first part)...
It would, but I think it'd help your project a lot.

2nd part:
getting a pool to merge mine this coin from the start will be "hard work?", or do you know if it wouldn't Smiley (if we used sha256)..
I can't guarantee it, but I would definitely work to get Eligius mining it. Smiley
Be sure to check out what Freicoin's merged mining plans are.

also, we want to get the coins spread out as much as possible at release (a giveaway will have to be done instantly on launch also).. otherwise only certain players/miners will be in the game (the ones with all the coins), and they will then be able to monopoly even more coins from inside the game..
This is also solved (better) by using external cryptocurrencies.

snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:39:33 AM

thanks for comments

one of the points of the game is you can play the game at a low cost, but have the chance to get lots of coins (hopefully, who knows what will happen Smiley)

where would the other coins come from?

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:17:47 AM

thanks for comments

one of the points of the game is you can play the game at a low cost, but have the chance to get lots of coins (hopefully, who knows what will happen Smiley)

where would the other coins come from?
Other players? But I guess if you want the game mechanics to "print money", this would mean you need its own currency, yes.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:57:27 AM

BTW, note that while SHA256d has been a great success for POW, none of the other contenders have worked out so far (scrypt is a complete failure as POW).

snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:00:59 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2013, 02:12:11 AM by snailbrain

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195717.0

just found this... similar idea (we had talked about it months ago though Cheesy )

BTW, note that while SHA256d has been a great success for POW, none of the other contenders have worked out so far (scrypt is a complete failure as POW).

we aren't sure yet, and are open to suggestions ...

Merge Mining with "this coin" as a secondary chain should work almost out of the box if we kept as sha256.. (i believe)

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:32:08 AM

Before thinking about other currencies, you have to think about something. Is the seperate currency just to be used in game? Or do you want it traded on exchanges. I mean, it will probably make its way to an exchange some way or another, but if your main goal is to facilitate an in game currency, accepting other coins may or may not be a good idea. I've seen many Bitcoin/Litecoin based games, where the dev had a good idea, implemented it well, but as soon as the coin takes off, no one wants to use it in game. I played a few different game servers that managed to integrate Litecoins as ingame currency when they were $.02-.03 each, and it wasn't a problem, but as soon as they hit $.20 each, everything siezed up, and no one played the game anymore, because they didn't want to pay $100 for in game services. Being able to make money in your game by playing could be a huge selling feature, but you want to make sure that the coin value isn't too high, or people will stop using it as the game currency. Of course, you can't say how much the coin is going to be worth, but there are a few things you can do to keep the game's economy fluid.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:25:05 AM

Merge Mining with "this coin" as a secondary chain should work almost out of the box if we kept as sha256.. (i believe)
If you use Namecoin's merged mining, yes.
But since it was created (over a year ago now), various flaws have been found with it, and ideas for improvement.
For something new, it would make sense to learn from this and use a newer system based on this background - hence my suggestion to discuss with Freicoin (who are doing this).

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 07:34:42 PM by markm

A very simple but possibly interesting way to attach an RPG to namecoin or a similar blockchain would be to use signed messages for logins.

Allow people to trade logins aka usernames or player-accounts or individual character accounts the same way they trade domains in namecoin, and have logging in to the account require proving you have the private key of the address that currently owns that domain / nation / character / login.

people could put accounts up for possibly being won by conquest or whatever to putting them under control of an address whose private key they then give to the game-server so the game can assign ownership based on in game events...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
CoinEntropy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:48:08 AM

Hilarious how this was an idea of mine once, except that I did not think to make it within the block chain itself. That's ingenious, 'innate utility' if you will.

Hey.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 10:10:30 AM

A very simple but possibly interesting way to attach an RPG to namecoin or a similar blockchain would be to use signed messages for logins.

Allow people to trade logins aka usernames or player-accounts or individual character accounts the same way they trade domains in namecoin, and have logging in to the account require prooving you have the private key of the address that currently owns that domain / nation / character / login.

Not related to games, but I'm trying out this concept for OpenID login (but the code for both client and server can be used if you want to integrate it directly into your own server side to allow logins):  https://nameid.org/

I precisely think that namecoin names with private key signatures are a cool and useful way to log into services without having to remember passwords and such (but of course you have to keep your private keys secure).

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
CoinEntropy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:44:30 AM

New Game/Coin…. Yes or No?

EtherCoin MMOCoin RPGCoin.. ?? we are not sure of a name yet… maybe it won’t even have the word coin in it

The Game/Coin:
This will be a decentralized MMORPG, using Bitcoin-style internal currency. The whole game will take place within the block chain using special transactions to denote player moves.

Special transactions . . . Does this imply that specific amounts of coins are required to be spent, received, or both? Is this based on quantitative transactions, i.e. the "significance" of a player move depends on the amount sent and/or received, or qualitative in some way? If it is the former, is this "innate utility" for linking crypto perceptual value in practical value (gaming), redundant if based on spending/transactions that can be simply transacted between one's own wallet(s)? The game will be full of maxed-out level/experienced people from this exploitation, which in turn lowers the quality of gaming and practical value.

Hey.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 11:11:34 AM

I like the idea > next kickstarter.com  Cool

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:33:26 PM

New Game/Coin…. Yes or No?

EtherCoin MMOCoin RPGCoin.. ?? we are not sure of a name yet… maybe it won’t even have the word coin in it

The Game/Coin:
This will be a decentralized MMORPG, using Bitcoin-style internal currency. The whole game will take place within the block chain using special transactions to denote player moves.

Special transactions . . . Does this imply that specific amounts of coins are required to be spent, received, or both? Is this based on quantitative transactions, i.e. the "significance" of a player move depends on the amount sent and/or received, or qualitative in some way? If it is the former, is this "innate utility" for linking crypto perceptual value in practical value (gaming), redundant if based on spending/transactions that can be simply transacted between one's own wallet(s)? The game will be full of maxed-out level/experienced people from this exploitation, which in turn lowers the quality of gaming and practical value.

There probably will be no levels (although not set in stone).. each character class will be even in terms of strength, unless you have an Artefact .. also.. you will probably control a couple of characters at once... maybe you will have 3 harvesters (civilians) and 4 Rogues and 2 healers.. assuming you can control them all..
to dominate in the game you will need to "possibly/probably" work as a team, and "pool" your spoils..

You would not be able to have a group of max leveled terminators that can one shot you (well.. if you are attacked by 6 rogues you may be one shotted).... if we do integrate any sort of leveling it will not be a massive improvement over starting from scratch.
You will also never be able to log out of the game... once you are in the game, if you need to go to work, then your characters will probably die.. UNLESS, you are in some sort of group/guild of which there is round the clock support/guards, maybe protecting the entrance to your player made building at the far end of the map...

Some notes of how this will work.. (not set in stone, and we have a few options)..

You create a player exactly like you create a name in Namecoin. The player name becomes attached to a certain address (public key). You must send a specific coin amount to this address, which becomes locked (i.e. it's still yours, but you cannot spend it). You use tx-out of this locked coin to prove that you are the owner of the player.

You do moves (one per block) like you update names (in nmc). The move is encoded in the JSON string, attached to the name. E.g. {delta_x:1, delta_y:0} moves your player to the right.

The game state can at any moment be obtained by scanning through all moves since the genesis block. It will be cached in the database, just like nameindex.dat caches the state of registered names in Namecoin.

Moves need to be announced one block ahead in form of hash, otherwise players may cheat by seeing opponents' moves in the transaction pool. This still gives a little cheating possibility: you can announce move, but if it turns out unprofitable, you refuse to reveal it (i.e. you cancel the move). In this case you lose the ability to make a move in this block and maybe the ability to announce the next move till next block (so you skip 2 moves). We hope that losing 2 moves will compensate the ability to cancel a move. (this is not set in stone Smiley)

snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:47:25 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2013, 06:52:26 PM by snailbrain

Allow people to trade logins aka usernames or player-accounts or individual character accounts the same way they trade domains in namecoin, and have logging in to the account require prooving you have the private key of the address that currently owns that domain / nation / character / login.

people could put accounts up for possibly being won by consuest or whatever to putting them under control of an address whose private key they then give to the game-server so the game can assign ownership based on in game events...

-MarkM-

edit: understand what you mean now.

in "this coin" you can transfer characters to other players... but the purpose might only be for something like:

"i'm going to work, who wants my team of 4 miners at the other side of the map ?"... maybe for free or maybe for a fee...
to get to the other side of the map may take 2 hours (or more) from starting location...

just an example

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: