Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:50:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why has this site been going so slow?  (Read 3957 times)
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:43:21 PM

Feels better especially when I used a VPN, for no reason at all.

Maybe you used the same VPN the forum is hosted on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:01:37 PM

Feels better especially when I used a VPN, for no reason at all.

Maybe you used the same VPN the forum is hosted on?

Nope, I didn't. Maybe it's just that theymos fixed something up with the forums.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:45:15 PM

I'm no longer experiencing the slow-downs, seems to be fixed.
Thanks!
Actually, the random - though very frequent - stallings are back for me, guess it's linked to the peak hours, which is probably not a good sign.  Undecided

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 07:52:04 PM

Thanks!
Actually, the random - though very frequent - stallings are back for me, guess it's linked to the peak hours, which is probably not a good sign.  Undecided

Same

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
x^2

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

y=x^2 is a parabola

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 02:58:21 AM

Thanks!

Same

I still have slowdowns too.

A parabola (plural parabolas or parabolae, adjective parabolic, from Greek: παραβoλή) is a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve.  y = x2
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:06:53 PM

Random slowdowns, and slowdowns on DB actions (posting, search, et al) reported here. Sad

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:35:40 PM

Do you guys think that it is easy to keep so many mirrors of the backend database: NSA, CIA, FBI and now SEC?  Wink  I hope SEC will finally publish the most interesting deleted posts.

Or maybe the SSD disks storing the backends are getting worn out? Nearly random and multi-second delays on writes are common symptoms when using flash SSD drives to store databases with write-ahead-logging, which is the worst wear pattern for them: many writes and no reads.

I can take slow, but dread the disappearance of Bitcointalk. I remember loss of fuckedcompany.com post database and it was dreadfull loss to the information technology folklore.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:14:47 PM

Or maybe the SSD disks storing the backends are getting worn out? Nearly random and multi-second delays on writes are common symptoms when using flash SSD drives to store databases with write-ahead-logging, which is the worst wear pattern for them: many writes and no reads.

Is there any way to test for this? I thought that SSDs were built to last several years, even under extremely heavy load.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
s40ward

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 05:18:52 PM

The site is slowing down from all the avalon customers that have it on auto-refresh awaiting word from Yifu. 

Or maybe that's just my contribution  Cry

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:57:32 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 12:16:34 AM by 2112

Is there any way to test for this? I thought that SSDs were built to last several years, even under extremely heavy load.
They can last years if you have a decent mix of reads and writes for the flash technology. Typical write-ahead-log is a worst case write-amplification pattern: writes 512-byte blocks, forces physical sync/flush to the drive, which in turn forces full page (about 4096-bytes) relocate and erase in the flash controller. And to add the insult to the injury that data is never read unless the database or the OS crashes.

I don't know of any way to check it while the disks are online, besides continuously monitoring the S.M.A.R.T. parameters with smartmontools and hope that the "old-age" statistics shown by them aren't lying.

The folks I know would simply run a full backup, full low-level security erase of the flash drives and then full restore. The security erase may help fix the bottlenecks in the wear-leveling software in the flash controller that is causing those random delays.

But they also aggresively use the warranties on the flash drives, preemptively returning them before the warranty expires. This is only workable if one orders such drives in quantities large enough to compile some sensible wear statistics.

Due to the extremely competitive nature of this business it is quite hard to get true and correct information about the wear-leveling algorithms used and their interaction with file systems. I'm sorry about not being able to be more specific: on one hand there are NDAs, on the other hand the flash controller firmware changes very frequently.

To get flash SSD last several years you'll need to mix them with normal spinning drives. Since database logs are almost exclusively sequentially written and almost never read they won't bottleneck the whole machine.

Edit: If you are willing and able to rebuild your kernel there ware some patches that use ATA TRIM and optional bitwise negation to significantly reduce the flash wear on some controllers. The frequent operation of "allocate disk blocks sectors and initialize to zeros" is replaced with simply "erase block" which initializes flash to all 0xFF and then stores all data complemented. Folks who created and maintained those patches would presumably know for which controllers they are worth applying and maybe if there are other custom patches for similar circumstances. The other strings worth seaarching may be "Deterministic Read Zero after Trim" DZAT, which basically refers to the same idea implemented closer to the actual hardware.

Edit2: I keep forgetting about the partition table issue. Many OS installers continue to create the "compatible" disk partition layout with integral number of "cylinders" (C/H/S == x/255/63). With 255 "heads" per "cylinder" and 63 "sectors" per "track" you would be assured that the partitions have odd sizes and alignments. Therefore the most common I/O operation 4kB is assured to cross into 2 physical 4kB sectors. Various optimizations then become ineffective and they automatically disable itself for the sake of safety. This is related, but non identical, to the "long sector" "advanced format" on the mechanical drives. Just make sure that you didn't accidently set your system into "512 byte sector emulation" (512e) mode.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:42:57 AM

I do not think a hardware problem should be investigated until all software problems are ruled out. Try attaching counters to suspect functions. Don't bother with making a SQL table for them; just make a bunch of flat files (possibly mounted on RAM, but shouldn't matter that much), one for each function. All that's needed are two calls to system time, a subtraction and addition, and a file read/write (possibly to tmpfs)—all should be extremely cheap, and the data is invaluable.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 04:42:02 AM

SSDs were built to last for so many write cycles.  If your hard drive is almost full, then the same sectors will get re-written faster, making them fail faster.  SSD capacities are determined giving some lee-way (a 100GB drive might have 120GB of space) for sector failures.

When using SSD's you should make sure your drives never become full - always have lots of free space.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:17:46 PM

I improved modSettings. It's only updated once every few minutes now instead of once every 5-10 seconds. Hopefully that'll make things faster.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:56:14 PM

I improved modSettings. It's only updated once every few minutes now instead of once every 5-10 seconds. Hopefully that'll make things faster.

I'm sorry to be the bad news messenger, but it has not improved anything on my side.
I also got a few whole blank pages, with no error, but this was just before your post, so I'm guessing it's related to your fix deployment.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 08:47:19 PM

I'm sorry to be the bad news messenger, but it has not improved anything on my side.
I also got a few whole blank pages, with no error, but this was just before your post, so I'm guessing it's related to your fix deployment.
Still the same for me.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 01:56:21 PM

I'm seeing much better results

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 04:45:48 PM

Yes.  Quicker today.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:25:37 PM

Just read a bunch of pages, smooth surfing!

Much better.

nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

Yes. Good again. Thanks

donations not accepted
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:22:32 AM

I'm seeing much better results

Confirmed
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: