Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:51:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin clone question  (Read 170 times)
myapple (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 09:08:41 AM

hi friends
I am curious if I copy bitcoin code and just change a little. Similar to make a new altcoin. If this altcoin has the same port and almost everything same just changed the bitcoin generated every block. Also I keep the genesis block the same as original bitcoin
1 I know that if the two wallet meet each other there will be a fork problem. But I want to know at that point my altcoin will still run independently just similar to a new coin or the clone bitcoin will be dropped and only accept the original bitcoin since the original bitcoin has longer Blockchain?

2 if I make the coin generated will be different at the 100th block, whether the first 99 blocks will be the same as original bitcoin? I need to set the checkpoint at some where before 99th?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 10:24:32 AM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

I am curious if I copy bitcoin code and just change a little. Similar to make a new altcoin. If this altcoin has the same port and almost everything same just changed the bitcoin generated every block. Also I keep the genesis block the same as original bitcoin

If you are creating an altcoin, you had better change the genesis block.  Why would you want or use Bitcoin’s genesis block, with an nTime of 1231006505 (2009-01-03 18:15:05Z)?  Also, you will need to change:

• The port number.
  • The network magic.
  • The block magic number.
  • The address version prefix (very important; do you see all these threads of people who sent BCH to a Bitcoin address, or vice versa?).
  • A bunch of other things I am not thinking of off the top of my head for you.  Do some research.

Of course, also you will need to change the name.

1 I know that if the two wallet meet each other there will be a fork problem. But I want to know at that point my altcoin will still run independently just similar to a new coin or the clone bitcoin will be dropped and only accept the original bitcoin since the original bitcoin has longer Blockchain?

This is why you change the genesis block, the network magic, and various other parameters.  If you change nothing, then your “clone” client will promptly start following Bitcoin’s blockchain instead of yours, because Bitcoin will have (many orders of magnitude) higher total POW.

2 if I make the coin generated will be different at the 100th block, whether the first 99 blocks will be the same as original bitcoin? I need to set the checkpoint at some where before 99th?

Say what?  I don’t even understand this question.  You should change the genesis block, Block 0; and if you don’t, then everything you generate from Block 1 onward will be different than Bitcoin.

myapple (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 10:45:47 AM

Thanks
I mean if I keep the bitcoin genesis block and use the same port. Also I change the name of the coin. In this way I can make a branch of bitcoin?
1 since the name of my coin is different so in %appdata% the folder of my coin will be different from bitcoin
2 since the max-money etc is different so my coin will not merge will bitcoin and the wallet and transactions can be run at the same time with bitcoin ? they will not influence each other. Just similar to a new branch with the same genesis block?
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 11:13:06 AM

Thanks
I mean if I keep the bitcoin genesis block and use the same port. Also I change the name of the coin. In this way I can make a branch of bitcoin?

Why do you want the same genesis block and the same network port?  There can be no good reason for this.

1 since the name of my coin is different so in %appdata% the folder of my coin will be different from bitcoin

That’s an install process issue.  Further than that, I will feign ignorance because there is no %appdata% on my system.

2 since the max-money etc is different so my coin will not merge will bitcoin and the wallet and transactions can be run at the same time with bitcoin ? they will not influence each other. Just similar to a new branch with the same genesis block?

So—you’re changing the monetary rules, but you want to keep the same network port?  This makes no sense, and it’s asking for trouble for yourself.

You need to change (at least) all the items I listed earlier.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: