Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:02:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Bitcoin Hostile (and friendly) Banks  (Read 171452 times)
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:47:32 PM

PNC closed my business account after 2 years. It's a trading business but we dealt almost exclusively on-exchange, only two cash transactions (plenty of wires tho).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
herfjones

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:59:53 AM

US Bank closed my account couple weeks ago for Bitcoin transactions. Starting a Key Bank account. Anyone have any information on personal Key Bank? I don't do many bitcoin transactions but am looking to withdraw from Coinbase. Also will the bank always issue a cashiers check for the balance after closing it for Bitcoin transactions?
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 07:39:11 AM

US Bank closed my account couple weeks ago for Bitcoin transactions. Starting a Key Bank account. Anyone have any information on personal Key Bank? I don't do many bitcoin transactions but am looking to withdraw from Coinbase. Also will the bank always issue a cashiers check for the balance after closing it for Bitcoin transactions?

So you lost access to your bank account (which as you stated, is in US) and that happened on the grounds of bitcoin transactions? Weren't you questioned or asked about any details before such a thing happened? Its really stupid that the banks could do such a thing, I find it fucking unreasonable. A man can't invest in a cryto currency which will overcome the fiats your bank deals with, banksters? Hah, haters.
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:57:35 PM

Well i appreciate your efforts to research about it and putting the information together in an intact manner. I'm surprised as to why , Indian banks are not supporting Bitcoins? I see many developed and developing countries in the list , except ofcourse India .India needs to be careful as it is still on its developing stage and struggling towards a major role in global economy.

btctxns

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 11:56:08 PM

So the answer is....no one supports btc?

Except maybe IAFCU, and even they have gotten kind of freaked out by regulators?

Can we just be clear on this?
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 02:43:01 AM

For the most part, Banks don't hate bitcoin they just review accounts monthly and if they see "money laundering" going on, they will shut the bank account down if it does not have the necessary regulations.
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 05:51:20 AM

I'm surprised as to why , Indian banks are not supporting Bitcoins?

The guy's talking about his bank in US, I don't understand how you thought its a bank from India. And about bitcoin in India, its not as popular as much as it has potential to be.

So the answer is....no one supports btc?

You seek support from banks, the said financial institutions which play with hard earned money everyday for nothing? Seriously? Instead of being scared about social factors and control of power and everything, why do not believe that you just don't need a bank sometimes. With bitcoin, you are your own bank. You have the ability to make all the necessary transactions and there is no high charging fees like banks.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 11:33:53 AM

Good thread. Unfortunately there is not any banks from my country. Nor for friendly and nor for hostile situation. I think (even bet) that the banks who are friendly with bitcoin will be the firsts who will adopt the technology which has invented and produced this coin. In fact to many big banks may using blockchain system soon in their IT structures. Here is an short article from BBC about this: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34278163
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 02:26:34 PM

Yep we should expose the bad banks, and help the good banks.

There is a civil war between banks too, not all banks are bad, but the bad banks need to be exposed  Wink

Only the banks that side with bitcoin can possibly win!

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 08:41:33 AM

HSBC UK forcibly closed our account when they saw mention of bitcoin on our website.

So you can add them to the list.

May I also suggest you divide the first post into two sections: one for known Bitcoin hostile banks and a section for known Bitcoin friendly banks, currently it says:

To qualify on the list a bank or payment processor must without explanation terminate or refuse business of legitimate bitcoin busineses...

But Fidor bank is listed in this list, and it's Bitcoin friendly.

It also involves reading every entry to differentiate hostile from friendly banks.
Miss Fortune

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:49:42 PM

Let's discuss which banks are, and which banks are not bitcoin friendly.

I will try to keep this post updated with all new information as it comes in, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread if you have something to add.

(please note, just because a few transfers from bitcoin exchanges have gone through, doesn't make a bank necessarily bitcoin friendly. This list is for banks who have a proactive attitude towards bitcoin, publicly endorse it, or support major exchanges.)

And now for the list of Banks and their bitcoinfriendly-ness:

To qualify on the list a bank or payment processor must without explanation terminate or refuse business of legitimate bitcoin busineses. The point of this threas is to name and shame said institutions and to encourage people who are there customers, regardless of bitcoin, to take there business elsewhere.

Australia:

Commonwealth Bank of Australia
         CurrencyFair (Website)

• CurrencyFair denies the application for any business having anythinng to do with bitcoin.
   OzForez.com.au

• Denids the application of any business having anything to do with bitcoin.

Canada:

The Royal Bank of Canada (Link)

BMO

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.
  • CanadaBitcoins no longer accepting cash deposits at all to BMO, verified or not. Link.

CIBC

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.[url=http://

Royal Bank of Canada  

Royal Bank of Canada  

Toronto-Dominion Bank

Bank of Nova Scotia  

TDBank (Link)

TD Dominion

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.[url=http://

Taype

• "Canadianbitcoins: Aug 6 2013   TAYPE INTERNATIONAL has been temporarily replaced with DIRECT WORLD for all Bill Payment Banks. Please do not send any payments to your TAYPE payee if you already have one setup in your online banking.Aug 6 2013 "

Vogogo

• "Cavirtex Aug. 6, 2013, 3:11 p.m. - New Bill Payment Provider - Vogogo: For rapid and secure processing of your online bill payments, we have partnered with Vogogo. One of the main reasons for this is to increase the speed of processing."

Finland

Suomen verkkomaksut / checkout.fi

• Multiple reports of declining buisness with bitcoin related services, including bittiraha.fi.

Nordea

Osuuspankki

Tapiola

Germany

Commerzbank

• Shut down bitcoin24 account.

Fidor Bank AG

Sofort Bank

• "Proof was given to me in a private message I will not publish, unless it's sender gives me the go ahead, my source tells me anyone can verify this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this?"

Holland
   RaboBank

Spain

ING

• ING Spanish Branch Blocking all Bitcoin Transactions. Reddit.

Sweden

SEP

Switzerland

Coop Bank

United Kingdom

Barclays

• Prevented MtGox, Intersango, and BlockChain.info from accepting GBP.

United States

Bank of the West (Link)
         Capital One (Link)

Chase (Link)

• Many people on this forum (as well as others), myself included, have had their accounts closed by chase. Some did mention bitcoins, others didn't. It's usually the high volume of cash deposits or one-way international wires (i.e. if you receive alot of US deposits but send alot of foreign wires).

Comerica (Comerica)

Dwolla (Dwolla)

Internet Credit Union (Link)

• Located in Sanfrancisco, California, USA. Opened in 2013
  • "taking a proactive pro-Bitcoin stance" Link to Reddit[/ur]
  • Spoke at San Jose Bitcoin Conference in 2013, saying that the current banks, "suck, so we are going to build out own." (Citation needed fo rthe video of this)
  • Handled withdraws for BitFloor after Capitol One had shut down their account just sending a single check to Roman (site owner of BitFloor).
  • Regulators start to spook IAFCU, they cancel pending deal with TradeHill after TradeHill already announced that accounts were be moved over from TradeHills unregulated system to IAFCU Government insured and regulated account.
  • Blog Post from IAFCU, "Rocky Road is still one of my favorite flavors" discussing how they are suspending business with Corporate Bitcoin Clients. IAFCU Blog Link.

US Bank (Link)
         Wells Fargo
Documentation Needed.

Unknown Country

MetroBank

• Closed Intersango Account.

Global   

PayPal (Website)

OkPay ( Website )

WorldFirst FX

• Denies any bitcoin related business's application for an account.

Originally maintained by Isokivi @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189917.0

There are a lot of friendly banks around there that would welcome bitcoin that can help a lot of investors.
mordekaiser

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:47:33 PM

Let's discuss which banks are, and which banks are not bitcoin friendly.

I will try to keep this post updated with all new information as it comes in, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread if you have something to add.

(please note, just because a few transfers from bitcoin exchanges have gone through, doesn't make a bank necessarily bitcoin friendly. This list is for banks who have a proactive attitude towards bitcoin, publicly endorse it, or support major exchanges.)

And now for the list of Banks and their bitcoinfriendly-ness:

To qualify on the list a bank or payment processor must without explanation terminate or refuse business of legitimate bitcoin busineses. The point of this threas is to name and shame said institutions and to encourage people who are there customers, regardless of bitcoin, to take there business elsewhere.

Australia:

Commonwealth Bank of Australia
         CurrencyFair (Website)

• CurrencyFair denies the application for any business having anythinng to do with bitcoin.
   OzForez.com.au

• Denids the application of any business having anything to do with bitcoin.

Canada:

The Royal Bank of Canada (Link)

BMO

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.
  • CanadaBitcoins no longer accepting cash deposits at all to BMO, verified or not. Link.

CIBC

Royal Bank of Canada  

Royal Bank of Canada  

Toronto-Dominion Bank

Bank of Nova Scotia  

TDBank (Link)

TD Dominion

Taype

• "Canadianbitcoins: Aug 6 2013   TAYPE INTERNATIONAL has been temporarily replaced with DIRECT WORLD for all Bill Payment Banks. Please do not send any payments to your TAYPE payee if you already have one setup in your online banking.Aug 6 2013 "

Vogogo

• "Cavirtex Aug. 6, 2013, 3:11 p.m. - New Bill Payment Provider - Vogogo: For rapid and secure processing of your online bill payments, we have partnered with Vogogo. One of the main reasons for this is to increase the speed of processing."

Finland

Suomen verkkomaksut / checkout.fi

• Multiple reports of declining buisness with bitcoin related services, including bittiraha.fi.

Nordea

Osuuspankki

Tapiola

Germany

Commerzbank

• Shut down bitcoin24 account.

Fidor Bank AG

Sofort Bank

• "Proof was given to me in a private message I will not publish, unless it's sender gives me the go ahead, my source tells me anyone can verify this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this?"

Holland
   RaboBank

Spain

ING

• ING Spanish Branch Blocking all Bitcoin Transactions. Reddit.

Sweden

SEP

Switzerland

Coop Bank

United Kingdom

Barclays

• Prevented MtGox, Intersango, and BlockChain.info from accepting GBP.

United States

Bank of the West (Link)
         Capital One (Link)

Chase (Link)

• Many people on this forum (as well as others), myself included, have had their accounts closed by chase. Some did mention bitcoins, others didn't. It's usually the high volume of cash deposits or one-way international wires (i.e. if you receive alot of US deposits but send alot of foreign wires).

Comerica (Comerica)

Dwolla (Dwolla)

Internet Credit Union (Link)

• Located in Sanfrancisco, California, USA. Opened in 2013
  • "taking a proactive pro-Bitcoin stance" Link to Reddit[/ur]
  • Spoke at San Jose Bitcoin Conference in 2013, saying that the current banks, "suck, so we are going to build out own." (Citation needed fo rthe video of this)
  • Handled withdraws for BitFloor after Capitol One had shut down their account just sending a single check to Roman (site owner of BitFloor).
  • Regulators start to spook IAFCU, they cancel pending deal with TradeHill after TradeHill already announced that accounts were be moved over from TradeHills unregulated system to IAFCU Government insured and regulated account.
  • Blog Post from IAFCU, "Rocky Road is still one of my favorite flavors" discussing how they are suspending business with Corporate Bitcoin Clients. IAFCU Blog Link.

US Bank (Link)
         Wells Fargo
Documentation Needed.

Unknown Country

MetroBank

• Closed Intersango Account.

Global   

PayPal (Website)

OkPay ( Website )

WorldFirst FX

• Denies any bitcoin related business's application for an account.

Originally maintained by Isokivi @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189917.0

It is not hard to find a bank that welcomes bitcoin now I think it is already acceptable in most of the banks out there.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 08:32:03 AM

I'm in the process of starting a cryptocurrency related company (the company exists, but need a business bank account to operate) and had my first block last week when trying to open an account with "ABN-AMRO" (my personal bank) in the Netherlands. Their statement boiled down that they choose to not open new accounts for companies dealing with crypto's. Accounts that were already opened before their policy change could continue to operate. Their policy is however open for change in the future.

Yesterday I opened an account with "Knab" in the Netherlands as well, but it is still under supervision of approval (I also asked an employee through their chat system, but she couldn't tell if it would pass their checks).
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 09:36:55 AM

And they say that we are the conspiracy theorists  Angry

This is an obvous evil conspiracy of the banks. They want to wipe out bitcoin from the face of the earth.

Cryptology
Legendary

Activity: 1008

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 06:48:53 PM

Why not try with Fidor in Germany or UK? They are the most bitcoin friendly European bank I am aware of and provide banking services to Kraken and Bitcoin.de I believe.
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:26:34 AM

@RealBitcoin: I think it is more that they don't understand crypto's or are not bothered by it.

@Cryptology: Yes, that is something I'll try if it doesn't work here in the Netherlands. I do prefer a Dutch bank, because it would be easier communicating with them (my German is not that great).
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:17:56 AM

Ok "Knab" also reacted that their "financial and customer services have not been adjusted to my type of transactions" and cancelled the account.

Next in line is SNS Bank (http://www.snsbank.nl). I had contact with an other entrepreneur and he said he had no difficulties with them.
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 09:01:25 PM

I started trading BTC via LBC on Sunday.  Today I have been told by my Bank HSBC (UK), that in no uncertain terms they do not wish to be associated at all with bitcoin, even if this is the money related to the sale of it.   The fraud team advised the lady at my local branch, unless I ceased my "activities" they will forcibly close my account.

This after someone (nefariously in my opinion- i had released the BTC to them) reported a trade as fraud.

Crazy, knee jerk reaction is crazy.  My 24 years with them means absolutely jack.  In the process of moving to Fidor.
Rizky Aditya

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 09:42:22 PM

Bitcoin friendly banks:
Bank name                                       Country               Relevant information
SEB                                                  Sweden                Swedish article, use google translate.
Nordea                                              Finland                 Conducts business with bittiraha.fi
Osuuspankki                                       Finland                 Conducts business with bittiraha.fi
Tapiola                                              Finland                 Conducts business with bittiraha.fi
Bank of Montreal                                 Canada                 Working with CaVirtex
Internet Credit Union                            ?                         "taking a proactive pro-Bitcoin stance" http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1g2r6q/audenx_is_a_badass/cagg431
TD Bank                                              US                     https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189917.msg2794888#msg2794888
Fidor Bank AG                                     Germany               http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1197313/bitcoin-de-and-fidor-bank-ag-agree-on-large-scale-partnership

We need to get more Bitcoin friendly banks out of the main using Bitcoin countries. This is the only way people will learn about Bitcoin and start to use it.
HostSurf

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 03:20:17 PM

Nice list, thank you for this.
Now I know which bank not to use and what other options I got left.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: