Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:35:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Bitcoin Hostile (and friendly) Banks  (Read 171451 times)
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 02:45:43 PM

This should be stickied. Just sayin'.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 06:07:01 AM

Let's discuss which banks are, and which banks are not bitcoin friendly.

I will try to keep this post updated with all new information as it comes in, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread if you have something to add.

(please note, just because a few transfers from bitcoin exchanges have gone through, doesn't make a bank necessarily bitcoin friendly. This list is for banks who have a proactive attitude towards bitcoin, publicly endorse it, or support major exchanges.)

And now for the list of Banks and their bitcoinfriendly-ness:

To qualify on the list a bank or payment processor must without explanation terminate or refuse business of legitimate bitcoin busineses. The point of this threas is to name and shame said institutions and to encourage people who are there customers, regardless of bitcoin, to take there business elsewhere.

Australia:

Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Canada:

The Royal Bank of Canada (Link)

BMO

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.
  • CanadaBitcoins no longer accepting cash deposits at all to BMO, verified or not. Link.

CIBC

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.[url=http://

Royal Bank of Canada   

Royal Bank of Canada   

Toronto-Dominion Bank

Bank of Nova Scotia   

TDBank (Link)

TD Dominion

• CanadaBitcoins was accepting cash deposits here, but accounts closed due to AML/KYC Requirements. Link.[url=http://

Taype                                  Canada               "Canadianbitcoins: Aug 6 2013   TAYPE INTERNATIONAL has been temporarily replaced with DIRECT WORLD for all Bill Payment Banks. Please do not send any payments to your TAYPE payee if you already have one setup in your online banking.Aug 6 2013 "
   Vogogo                                 Canada               "Cavirtex Aug. 6, 2013, 3:11 p.m. - New Bill Payment Provider - Vogogo: For rapid and secure processing of your online bill payments, we have partnered with Vogogo. One of the main reasons for this is to increase the speed of processing."

Finland

Suomen verkkomaksut / checkout.fi

• Multiple reports of declining buisness with bitcoin related services, including

Taype                                  Canada               "Canadianbitcoins: Aug 6 2013   TAYPE INTERNATIONAL has been temporarily replaced with DIRECT WORLD for all Bill Payment Banks. Please do not send any payments to your TAYPE payee if you already have one setup in your online banking.Aug 6 2013 "
   Vogogo                                 Canada               "Cavirtex Aug. 6, 2013, 3:11 p.m. - New Bill Payment Provider - Vogogo: For rapid and secure processing of your online bill payments, we have partnered with Vogogo. One of the main reasons for this is to increase the speed of processing."

Finland

Suomen verkkomaksut / checkout.fi

Nordea

Osuuspankki

Tapiola

Germany

Commerzbank

• Shut down bitcoin24 account.

Fidor Bank AG

Sofort Bank

• "Proof was given to me in a private message I will not publish, unless it's sender gives me the go ahead, my source tells me anyone can verify this by contacting the bank about opening an account for a bitcoin related buisness, perhaps someone fluent in german could do this?"

Spain

ING

• ING Spanish Branch Blocking all Bitcoin Transactions. Reddit.

Sweden

SEP

United Kingdom

Barclays

• Prevented MtGox, Intersango, and BlockChain.info from accepting GBP.

United States

Bank of the West (Link)
         Capital One (Link)

• Shutdown BitFloor's accounts with approx $2.8mil USD check mailed out

Chase (Link)

• Many people on this forum (as well as others), myself included, have had their accounts closed by chase. Some did mention bitcoins, others didn't. It's usually the high volume of cash deposits or one-way international wires (i.e. if you receive alot of US deposits but send alot of foreign wires).

Comerica (Comerica)

Dwolla (Dwolla)

Internet Credit Union (Link)

• Located in Sanfrancisco, California, USA. Opened in 2013
  • "taking a proactive pro-Bitcoin stance" Link to Reddit[/ur]
  • Spoke at San Jose Bitcoin Conference in 2013, saying that the current banks, "suck, so we are going to build out own." (Citation needed fo rthe video of this)
  • Handled withdraws for BitFloor after Capitol One had shut down their account just sending a single check to Roman (site owner of BitFloor).
  • Regulators start to spook IAFCU, they cancel pending deal with TradeHill after TradeHill already announced that accounts were be moved over from TradeHills unregulated system to IAFCU Government insured and regulated account.
  • Blog Post from IAFCU, "Rocky Road is still one of my favorite flavors" discussing how they are suspending business with Corporate Bitcoin Clients. IAFCU Blog Link.

US Bank (Link)
         Wells Fargo
Documentation Needed.

Unknown Country

MetroBank

• Closed Intersango Account.

Global   

PayPal (Link)

Originally maintained by Isokivi @ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189917.0

sorry to quote this whole list.. but correct me if I am wrong.. I do not see  ANY  USA freindly banks ?  especially for cash deposits.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:37:36 AM

Seems like Capital One is now "officially" hostile towards Bitcoin:

http://mulliganmint.com/just-saying-bitcoin-is-like-saying-bomb-on-an-airplane/

To celebrate Bitcoin’s success and its principle, we launched the “Bitcoin Coin” last month. Like most of our products, the Bitcoin Coin is a precious metal coin, not a computer program or algorithm. The coin features the Bitcoin currency symbol on one side with a computer circuit board background. The reverse side is stamped with an operational QR code that can be scanned with a smartphone, taking the user to the M2 factory store....

...But Capital One did immediately shut down our merchant account to process credit card orders. Apparently, someone at the bank saw the word “Bitcoin” and didn’t bother to read the product description or any of our blogs about the coin.

It is Capital One’s policy not to do business with merchants who accept Bitcoin. That’s a business decision based upon Bitcoin’s anonymous nature and the alleged potential that it could be used for criminal activity.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 09:44:41 AM

My account in Swedbank in sweden has just been frozen and closed due to bitcoin related sales, into hostile list  Cool

safeminer

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:09:06 PM

I have used my Dutch Rabobank and SNS Bank accounts to buy Bitcoins from both BitStamp and MtGox. So they are friendly for now
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:22:41 AM

Cavirtex dividend payouts are delayed until 2014 now
But I guess that means that in exchange banks accept bitcoin

BUT SOME AWESOME NEWS DID COME OUT YESTERDAY

Oct. 9, 2013, 3:05 p.m. - **Debit cards have arrived as a new withdrawal option! (In Beta)

In the interest of releasing this to the public quickly, we are proud to announce our Beta launch of Debit Cards that will work with ATM or POS terminals in Canada and even some internationally! For faster withdrawals you can now sell Bitcoins for CAD and then take out the cash at ATM's! There is a one-time fee of $10 to have the card mailed to you, once you have the card there is a low administration fee of $1.50 to add funds to the card. You must have VirtEx CAD to withdraw to this card and you must be cash or online verified but no bank account is required. Loads are performed once per business day at 5PM(MST) starting tomorrow.

The first step is to make sure your contact information has your correct address, this is where your card will be mailed by regular mail, next go to Withdraw CAD and choose an amount to withdraw A debit card (with PIN) will then be mailed to you but the amount will not be loaded until you have confirmed receipt of the card by submitting a ticket under the new category: ”Prepaid Debit”. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail when your first amount is loaded. More details will follow with the release of a full fee schedule for card use shortly. When Beta ends in approximately 1-2months we will enable live 24/7 loading of these cards the moment you press withdraw CAD! We will also allow for Canada express post rush card delivery shortly!

Oct. 1, 2013, 3:24 p.m. - Dividend Update

Joseph David : "There will be no dividend payout this quarter for the following reasons:
1) New banking relationships recently secured demand large capital reserves in order for them to work with us.
2) VirtEx is re-investing all revenues to grow our company and maintain our team of 15 employees, as well as investing in marketing and legal counsel.
I do intend on paying a dividend once the company shows sustained growth and profitability, and will be providing the next dividend update as well as financials by Q1 2014.”

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
gotmilk_

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 03:51:29 PM

What about UniCredit banks? It's known that Bitstamp  has an account there and they are doing without problems. I guess they are on friendly side Smiley

https://www.unicreditgroup.eu/en/banking-group.html
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 08:59:04 PM

If you have them all in one list, maybe could you make it a bit more clear rather than just using Italics? How about green / red?

Switzerland:

Coop Bank: http://swissbitcoins.ch/en/swissbitcoins-temporarily-suspends-business/

This was confirmed to me by the operator of swissbitcoins via email.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:58:04 AM

You seem to be listing banks as Bitcoin-unfriendly because they are shutting personal accounts that people are using for Bitcoin business transactions.
They'd probably shut you down if you were doing Euro/Pound/Yen trading with your personal account too.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 02:14:04 PM

I am confused by this thread. How could we have 0 friendly banks listed in the US (except the IACFU)? Does nobody wire money to US banks from Bitcoin currency exchanges?
joesmoe2012 (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 03:17:41 AM

I am confused by this thread. How could we have 0 friendly banks listed in the US (except the IACFU)? Does nobody wire money to US banks from Bitcoin currency exchanges?

It's banks that are willing to work with bitcoin related businesses. Not being able to receive and send a wire or two to an exchange.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:03:19 AM

It's banks that are willing to work with bitcoin related businesses. Not being able to receive and send a wire or two to an exchange.

Again, many of the posts in this thread about about banks closing or warning about personal accounts.
Don't use a personal account for business, don't get warned.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
bnjmnkent

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:18:29 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2013, 10:52:55 PM by bnjmnkent

@murraypaul
Again, many of the posts in this thread about about banks closing or warning about personal accounts.
Please elaborate. Where do you draw the line between personal and business?

@joesmoe2012: Thank you for starting such a list!
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 10:21:42 PM

I'm not sure what we're arguing about. A bank closing a personal account is a terrible thing and I want to avoid that at all costs! I am not doing any "business" with my personal account... I just want to sell some bitcoins and move the money into my personal account via wire transfer. It's not business, it's selling an asset so that I can buy a house. If a bank closes my account for doing this, then I want it listed on the HOSTILE-NEVER-USE-THIS-BANK list.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 05:58:25 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1p4qi5/my_bank_is_denying_my_sepa_transfer_to_bitstamp/
http://www.coindesk.com/swedish-bank-freezes-customers-account-sells-5-btc/

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:19:45 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how Capital One is being blamed for Bitfloor.  As a Bitfloor user, we deposited directly into an account at Bank of America (and only Bank of America).  So if his account was shut down, wouldn't it be....Bank of America?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
mindragon

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:13:09 PM

Metrobank is based out of the Philippines as far as I know.

Also I have personally had no issues with Mellon Bank.
iLoveXojo

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:53:08 AM

Well, from experience, Wells Fargo kindly accepted a Coinbase Sell. Though it was $3.97.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:44:08 PM

Metrobank is based out of the Philippines as far as I know.

Also in the UK:
https://www.google.com/search?q=metrobank&oq=metrobank&aqs=chrome..69i57j5j0l2.4479j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Since the list suggests problems with Intersango (an UK exchange) I would lean towards the UK Metrobank.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
perlboy

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 05:44:00 AM

Hi,

Not quite a bank but OzForex.com.au has denied any Bitcoin related businesses.

Thanks,

Stuart

Numis Token - Numismatic Coins attached to the Ethereum network
Biza•io - Blockchain based banking software
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: