Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:19:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone Random Trademarked "bitcoin" : Now we can't use the term?  (Read 36958 times)
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:14:40 PM

oops

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:41:04 PM

Received answer from TMFeedback. I encourage everyone proceed with filing protest.

Please note that the proper procedure relative to the USPTO is to file a Letter of Protest. See form #10 on this page:
http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/teas/petition_forms.jsp.

We would not actually do anything with the email below.

Thank you.

TMFeedback Support Team

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:50:39 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 04:56:18 PM by sadpandatech

Received answer from TMFeedback. I encourage everyone proceed with filing protest.

Please note that the proper procedure relative to the USPTO is to file a Letter of Protest. See form #10 on this page:
http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/teas/petition_forms.jsp.

We would not actually do anything with the email below.

Thank you.

TMFeedback Support Team

Not sure how a reply that simply pointed out that, 'Hey, you're doing it wrong' made you feel it was any more prudent to file, but I certainly agree to encourage filing of Letter of Protest. It cost nothing but some of your time! If by some miracle he did get his app posted in the gazzete it would no longer be free to protest.

Use the form #10 as linked here by Hippich and enter  85353491 for the *serial it asks for at the bottom left.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
hippich

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:04:47 PM

I just went through process of filling protest and can confirm - no fees required at this point. Simply point to wrong doing by this lawyer with links to resources dated before June 2011. Also make sure to include all evidence as a PDF attached, since letter itself will not go to attorney, only attachments. I included printout of Wikipedia page about bitcoin and Satoshi's technical paper as attachments as well as PDF of my actual letter just to make sure it get through.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:44:04 PM

Lol, just saw this on Google's reviews, along with 4 negative feedback posts.

Advocat ‎ - Jul 7, 2011
Excellent Law Firm. Smart, Hard Working, and Responsive. Admitted to New York State, and Federal Courts. The recent negative reviews about this firm which all commenced July 7, 2011, which may or may not be removed by Google, were not brought about by any involvement with this law firm, but by those who reacted angrily to a Trademark Application filed with the United States Patent & Trademark Office, by Attorney Pascazi, on behalf of a client. Those negative reviews should not be taken as a true evaluation of the firm's capabilities. In fact, one could surmise that this law firm must have done a pretty good job if so many people, whom the firm has never met, reacted angrily.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=11020796222182954010&q=1065+main+street,+fishkill,+ny+12524&hl=en&dtab=2&sll=41.534876,-73.903926&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&ll=41.537968,-73.908291&spn=0,0&t=h&z=17
spruce

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:53:29 PM

"Probably", be better off to make sure the trademark holder is held responsible for that trademark to the fullest extent.

Ooh. Like Silk Road?
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

Lol, just saw this on Google's reviews, along with 4 negative feedback posts.

Advocat ‎ - Jul 7, 2011
Excellent Law Firm. Smart, Hard Working, and Responsive. Admitted to New York State, and Federal Courts. The recent negative reviews about this firm which all commenced July 7, 2011, which may or may not be removed by Google, were not brought about by any involvement with this law firm, but by those who reacted angrily to a Trademark Application filed with the United States Patent & Trademark Office, by Attorney Pascazi, on behalf of a client. Those negative reviews should not be taken as a true evaluation of the firm's capabilities. In fact, one could surmise that this law firm must have done a pretty good job if so many people, whom the firm has never met, reacted angrily.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=11020796222182954010&q=1065+main+street,+fishkill,+ny+12524&hl=en&dtab=2&sll=41.534876,-73.903926&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&ll=41.537968,-73.908291&spn=0,0&t=h&z=17

lol, he had me at, 'on behalf of a client'.
"A man who represents himself has a fool for a client."

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:03:08 PM

"Probably", be better off to make sure the trademark holder is held responsible for that trademark to the fullest extent.

Ooh. Like Silk Road?
So, anyone feels like sending him a quick enquiry as to what his action will be on Silk Road, seeing as he is filing for a trademark?  Grin

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:05:19 PM

Ooh. Like Silk Road?
So, anyone feels like sending him a quick enquiry as to what his action will be on Silk Road, seeing as he is filing for a trademark?  Grin

he is gonna send a 'Cease and Desist' order and a demand for any and all inventory they acquired via bitcoin. ;p
*can picture truck loads of dope rolling up in front of a lawfirm in small town NY*

- GA

joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:10:01 PM

Ooh. Like Silk Road?

he is gonna send a 'Cease and Desist' order and a demand for any and all inventory they acquired via bitcoin. ;p
*can picture truck loads of dope rolling up in front of a lawfirm in small town NY*
Heh, this would make for a nice Google Business review.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:12:19 PM

I think that you guys are really overreacting.  It's as likely as not, that this lawyer trademarked Bitcoin in defense of the bitcoin community, before anyone else with ill intent did so.  After all, there are lawyers on this forum.  Perhaps there was an unaddressed legal threat there, that this lawyer knew that he could do something about.  Has anyone bothered to ask him his intent?  It's not like his email address isn't all over his website.  He's certainly not anonymous.

Do you really belive that?  Do you seriously think someone who had intentions of 'protecting' Bitcoin would do so without saying anything to any one? And, would they be so defensive to respond with this, http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2737435

For a well educated lawyer type his spelling and grammar sure went all to hell in his response..

That certainly doesn't bode well, but why evidence is there that this response was actually written by the same guy?  Whoever wrote this has no concept of what Bitcoin actually does, and is a crappy lawyer to boot.  He's going to get hammered someday, even if he survives the CP that the black hats are likely to put all over his home computer.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:13:08 PM

Has anyone considered reporting the lawyer to the bar association? Making false filings on behalf of a "client" is a pretty major no-no under legal ethics, whether it's to the court or not.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:41:00 PM

His client is clearly either himself or a family member (his wife?).  Is it considered ethical for attorneys to represent close family members?  It's a big no-no for physicians and other health care professionals (except in emergencies) and can result in professional censure.

4096R/F5EA0017
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:42:10 PM

This joker and others like him are going to clog the legal system with so much crap that any serious efforts to regulate/control/throttle Bitcoin will only be so much noise

That is why we did legal automated document systems in disaster recovery.

I look back on my awards about total amount of damage, and, today, this feels like pocket change (that I can't report).

I know there is a way to make money off that real...  flow. Effort? No, just end the chess moves quick...  "transient justice"; everybody wants to know where they can wash their hands.

[I do not guarantee they are clean, yet we can guarantee our generated water is safe to drink. ETA: baby-safe water... "complicated" battle-rattle end-game.]

You're one strange bird, Ballard...
*looks at his hands* they sure look clean on the surface. But what about the germs, you say?

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:42:52 PM

His client is clearly either himself or a family member (his wife?).  Is it considered ethical for attorneys to represent close family members?  It's a big no-no for physicians and other health care professionals (except in emergencies) and can result in professional censure.

aye, his client is magellan blah llc, which he owns.

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:45:22 PM

Has anyone considered reporting the lawyer to the bar association? Making false filings on behalf of a "client" is a pretty major no-no under legal ethics, whether it's to the court or not.

If one were to desire to do so and felt they had cause to do so they would start here,
http://www.nysba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Public_Resources&template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=40748
and his NY Sate attorney registration number here,
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/attorney/AttorneyDetails?attorneyId=5661076

- GA

ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:47:12 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 05:57:33 PM by ensign_lee

Looks like we got to him. Cheesy

Quote from: Sir lawyer douchebag of doucheland aka Fishkill, NY
Dear Sir,

Please be advised that, for strategic reasons, Magellan Capital's trademark (serial number 85353491) filed with the United States Patent & Trademark Office has been Expressly Abandoned, pursuant to statute, as of July 7, 2011 at 13:15 EDT.

Simultaneously therewith, my client has begun trademark registrations in those civil law countries, wherein, "first to use" status is not recognized as a defense to trademark registration. These civil law countries, which account for most of the world's population, and land mass, only recognize a "first to file" basis for trademark registration.

Moreover, calling me stupid is simply childish, and not a hallmark of thoughtful adult discourse. I have been called worse; most often from my adversaries, when I succeed on an important matter in a court of law.

tl;dr version. He's giving up here in the US because of all the heat he got, but will STILL PURSUE THIS TRADEMARK IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

I say we continue with the heat!

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
sadpandatech

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:50:27 PM

Looks like we got to him. Cheesy

Quote from: deutschebag lawyer
Dear Sir,

Please be advised that, for strategic reasons, Magellan Capital's trademark (serial number 85353491) filed with the United States Patent & Trademark Office has been Expressly Abandoned, pursuant to statute, as of July 7, 2011 at 13:15 EDT.

Simultaneously therewith, my client has begun trademark registrations in those civil law countries, wherein, "first to use" status is not recognized as a defense to trademark registration. These civil law countries, which account for most of the world's population, and land mass, only recognize a "first to file" basis for trademark registration.

Moreover, calling me stupid is simply childish, and not a hallmark of thoughtful adult discourse. I have been called worse; most often from my adversaries, when I succeed on an important matter in a court of law.

tl;dr version. He's giving up here in the US because of all the heat he got, but will STILL PURSUE THIS TRADEMARK IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

I say we continue with the heat!

LOL, very nice. source link please? I actually accused him if being a 'smart guy'. Wonder who he is replying to that called him 'stupid', would love to read it.

- GA

hippich

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:51:52 PM

I called him simply jerk. )) since i can't be sure about his stupidness yet =)

ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:53:09 PM

Oh yeah, that was from my email chain where I said he was stupid for trying to trademark bitcoin. Cheesy

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: