Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:39:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] BTC Growth: Capital Growth via Hedge Fund-Style Investing  (Read 251441 times)
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 10:53:33 PM

The next Pirateat40. Anyone who invests in this is going to get destroyed.

radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:32:54 PM

Possibly. Perhaps. It might even be likely - but it's a small pond still, and someone has to be the first one to come up with a security like this.

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:06:20 AM

I can't prove that you're wrong but I would at least ask you to ask yourself why someone who has had an impressive career in academia, the professions and industry would 'do a' Pirateat40. Greg would be giving up a lot to do that.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 01:15:20 AM

On the face of it, I see very little in common with what Pirate was doing. But if Greg comes out next month with a statement saying "We had profits of 50%, probably going to do that again next month, and now we are selling another 10000000000 shares" then I guess you could start comparing them.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 03:36:24 AM

I can't prove that you're wrong but I would at least ask you to ask yourself why someone who has had an impressive career in academia, the professions and industry would 'do a' Pirateat40. Greg would be giving up a lot to do that.

What impressive career in academia?  I only see a single paper from him on Google scholar, some new-agey gobbledygook about 'quantum minds' written in the 90s that isn't even formatted like a proper academic article.

I have friends in academia.  A quick Google search of their name and you can find dozens of paper's they've co-authored.

If he really had a successful academic career where are his published papers?

Of course he may not be doing a actual ponzi scheme.  He may just be a delusional idiot who will lose your money.

jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:10:20 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 05:17:16 AM by jedunnigan

What impressive career in academia?  I only see a single paper from him on Google scholar, some new-agey gobbledygook about 'quantum minds' written in the 90s that isn't even formatted like a proper academic article.

I have friends in academia.  A quick Google search of their name and you can find dozens of paper's they've co-authored.

Of course he may not be doing a actual ponzi scheme.  He may just be a delusional idiot who will lose your money.

It seems a lot of the work he did was for a research lab or something (I have to look into it more), not available on Google Scholar. http://mulhauser.net/lib/research/
stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:14:00 AM

Even if I concede your point on academia, I think my argument still stands, unless you want to have a crack at the rest of it. Oh, I see you now just think he may be an idiot. Well, you're entitled to your opinion on that.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:28:04 AM

Even if I concede your point on academia, I think my argument still stands, unless you want to have a crack at the rest of it. Oh, I see you now just think he may be an idiot. Well, you're entitled to your opinion on that.

I'm not sure I want to wade into the crossfire here, but I feel obligated to point out that pirateat40 DID give up a lot in real life to pull off his scam. I believe he is now being hauled off to jail. Also, Bernie Madoff was very successful prior to his ill-fated ponzi scheme.

Interpret that however you like.

stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:36:21 AM

I'm not sure I want to wade into the crossfire here, but I feel obligated to point out that pirateat40 DID give up a lot in real life to pull off his scam. I believe he is now being hauled off to jail. Also, Bernie Madoff was very successful prior to his ill-fated ponzi scheme.

Yes, he did and he is. So much of this business is drawing inferences from incomplete information, a bit like poker. I have read as much as I can about the manager of this fund, and my own conclusion is that the chance that he intends to run a ponzi is low. I could be wrong, though. If I get information to the contrary I will reevaluate my hypothesis.

It's just like I used to think that AsicMiner was worth a lot more than I do now. The more I read, the more I thought about it, until I eventually decided I was wrong.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 03:01:17 PM

It seems a lot of the work he did was for a research lab or something (I have to look into it more), not available on Google Scholar. http://mulhauser.net/lib/research/

If you don't have academic papers published in journals, then you don't have an "Academic career".  Period.

Rest of what?  There's no evidence for any of this other then random websites I've never heard of, which he could have setup himself.

Yup. And like Madoff and Pirate he's probably thinking he'll actually make money with his "hedge fund" - and maybe he will. Or maybe he'll make a lot of money and keep most of it for himself. But the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker (IMO - again, since I don't see an academic trail in places that they'd normally show up).

and my own conclusion is that the chance that he intends to run a ponzi is low.

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.

radiumsoup

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:56:17 PM

False dichotomy. He may also be a smart guy who will lose your money, or he may be a smart guy who will make you a lot of money, or he may be an idiot who makes you a lot of money.

Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.
Pirate's scheme was a textbook high yield ponzi. It would be perfectly reasonable to think he planned it that way from the start.

Ultimately it comes down to trust. Anyone looking to invest in the largely unregulated world of bitcoin securities should do their own research and draw their own conclusions based on the information that is available.
xchrisxsays

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:13:37 PM

If you don't have academic papers published in journals, then you don't have an "Academic career".  Period.

Rest of what?  There's no evidence for any of this other then random websites I've never heard of, which he could have setup himself.

Yup. And like Madoff and Pirate he's probably thinking he'll actually make money with his "hedge fund" - and maybe he will. Or maybe he'll make a lot of money and keep most of it for himself. But the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker (IMO - again, since I don't see an academic trail in places that they'd normally show up).

and my own conclusion is that the chance that he intends to run a ponzi is low.

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.

I did a very small amount of google-fu and ran across his book published in 1998 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0792351037/rzd6bv3v-20

So there's at least some of a trail and he is an extremely impressive "SEO faker" if he went out of his way to publish a large book in 1998 for the sake of SEO. Anyways, you either trust him or you don't. In truth, Ytterbium, you don't actually know whether he will lose money or not, you're ultimately just spreading FUD based on some poor investment decisions in the past and very little research. Don't invest if you dont want to, but dont act like you know for a fact anyone who invests will get "destroyed". Because you really don't.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 04:14:43 PM

Like I said, Neither pirate nor Madoff ever intended to run a ponzi scheme.  They just got sucked in once they started lying about their profits.
Pirate's scheme was a textbook high yield ponzi. It would be perfectly reasonable to think he planned it that way from the start.

Ultimately it comes down to trust. Anyone looking to invest in the largely unregulated world of bitcoin securities should do their own research and draw their own conclusions based on the information that is available.

Actually if you read the judgement, it looks like he planned on making money day-trading the coins, which he failed to do (the making money part, not the day trading.  He lost money doing that)

So there's at least some of a trail and he is an extremely impressive "SEO faker" if he went out of his way to publish a large book in 1998 for the sake of SEO. Anyways, you either trust him or you don't. In truth, Ytterbium, you don't actually know whether he will lose money or not, you're ultimately just spreading FUD based on some poor investment decisions in the past and very little research. Don't invest if you dont want to, but dont act like you know for a fact anyone who invests will get "destroyed". Because you really don't.

Anyone can get a book published. 

Anyway, based on his writings he seems like a someone who thinks he's a lot smarter then he is who will probably lose your money. Of course it is theoretically possible he might be a idiot who makes money despite himself, since it's quite easy to do in the bitcoin world.

DrGregMulhauser (OP)

Activity: 330

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:18:11 PM

...the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker...

Wow, Ytterbium. You've done a masterful job of lowering the tone of the conversation right down into the gutter.

If you'd like to invest as much time reading material that was actually written by me as you've invested in denigrating my character, I would welcome your input. And if you'd like to offer any substantive criticism -- for example, on any of the strategies I've discussed on Psychological Investor, or on anything else relevant to asset management -- then I'm sure that could go a long way toward restoring the conversation to a more civil and productive level.

However, if you envision your principal contribution as leveraging your anonymity in order to hurl abuse at me or at others, then I would encourage you to consider whether your efforts might be more welcome over in the section specifically dedicated to scam accusations.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
radiumsoup

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:31:30 PM

...the problem is this guy is a huckster, pretending to be some uber-smart "Professor Dr." when in reality he's just some ridiculous SEO faker...

Wow, Ytterbium. You've done a masterful job of lowering the tone of the conversation right down into the gutter.

If you'd like to invest as much time reading material that was actually written by me as you've invested in denigrating my character, I would welcome your input. And if you'd like to offer any substantive criticism -- for example, on any of the strategies I've discussed on Psychological Investor, or on anything else relevant to asset management -- then I'm sure that could go a long way toward restoring the conversation to a more civil and productive level.

However, if you envision your principal contribution as leveraging your anonymity in order to hurl abuse at me or at others, then I would encourage you to consider whether your efforts might be more welcome over in the section specifically dedicated to scam accusations.
I think I might be in love with you.

zefyr0s

Activity: 245

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:36:49 PM

Can't wait the ~two weeks 'til the first monthly report!
xchrisxsays

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:07:13 PM

I think I might be in love with you.

Hahah. He really is not afraid to give trolls the business. No-nonsense type guy, I like it.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 09:04:31 PM

Psychological Investor?  You mean this site with almost zero traffic? (an average of 1.6 visitors per day, according to Alexa.  It doesn't even rate on Quantcast)

And I have looked at your writing, or at least skimmed it.  Your investment articles appear to be re-heated banalities with six extra layers of pointless verbiage slathered on. Your "Academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" or whatever you call it looks to be on par with the Sokal hoax. Vapid "quantum" logorrhea with no real math whatsoever.

Hahah. He really is not afraid to give trolls the business. No-nonsense type guy, I like it.

Have fun losing your money.

jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:14:03 PM

Psychological Investor?  You mean this site with almost zero traffic? (an average of 1.6 visitors per day, according to Alexa.  It doesn't even rate on Quantcast)

And I have looked at your writing, or at least skimmed it.  Your investment articles appear to be re-heated banalities with six extra layers of pointless verbiage slathered on. Your "Academic" work on "Quantum mind theory" or whatever you call it looks to be on par with the Sokal hoax. Vapid "quantum" logorrhea with no real math whatsoever.

Have fun losing your money.

I think it's 1.6 pageviews/visitor, not 1.6 pageviews/day.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: