Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:42:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] BTC Growth: Capital Growth via Hedge Fund-Style Investing  (Read 251433 times)
thy

Activity: 685
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

Now that the original exchange-traded BTC Growth fund is no more, I've been pondering some other ways of managing membership structure that could enable a fund to be independent of the vagaries of an exchange, reduce the overheads associated with KYC/AML compliance, and also avoid turning it all into an admin-by-email nightmare.

I know that PayPal is almost universally hated across all of Bitcoin-land, but if something involving PayPal isn't just an immediate deal-breaker, I'd be grateful for any thoughts people might have on the following...

What would folks think of a system which required a small PayPal payment as a precondition for participating in a fund? This could offload the whole KYC/AML aspect of dealing with individual participants onto PayPal: to the extent that PayPal can be counted on to have established the identity of their customers, and to be adhering strictly to any and all KYC/AML requirements in every jurisdiction in which they operate, a fund provider could simply point to the PayPal transaction as having established the identity of the participant. My thinking is that this would obviate the need to handle any type of identity documents by saying, in effect, "if your details are good enough for PayPal, they're good enough for us".

The second benefit of a PayPal-based setup is that I already operate some sites which use a membership management system that integrates with PayPal: people pay a fee to become members of a site, and their details are then organised by a membership management system which I know to be fairly usable. By leveraging this same type of membership system, I could reduce at least some of the hassles associated with managing direct participation in a fund.

(None of this would do a thing for liquidity, of course: it would only be suitable for a fund with a fixed initial period of commitment, as distinct from a fund where people could just trade in and out at will.)

Would trying to involve PayPal in something like this just be a silly idea? Is it something people would consider trying?

Last time i checked BTC(and other cryptocurrencys) was considered of no value from a governement standpoint where i live, so no AML or simular things should be needed here as long as stocks, dividends and so on is denominated in cryptocurrencys, also trades between a cryptocurrency and fiat ends up in the same category as you buy/sell something of no value, therefore you cannot use losses to reduce taxes and no tax has to be paid on profits from it.

I guess the USA or the UK where your based might have a different view on BTC(and other cryptocurrencys) even thou the standpoint probably isen't finally tested in courts of the highest instance in either USA or UK yet.

Involving Paypal money denominated in USD or another fiat on the other hand would probably just complicate things for no added benefit, even if a few cents worth of transaction probably wouldn't qualify for AML laws looking into the company receiving those transactions. But people would still need to have a paypal account or register one to be able to send those micro-transactions so that would just be an unnecessary complication added.
Paypal also has some ridicules fees so why use such company and couldn't anyone register how many paypal accounts they liked way back without any checks done at paypal, they just needed a emailadress to link to each account, so having people use paypal as a way of living up to some AML things is probably pretty useless....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:10:33 PM

Last time i checked BTC(and other cryptocurrencys) was considered of no value from a governement standpoint where i live, so no AML or simular things should be needed...

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in a jurisdiction where they can simply say no AML is needed.

...a few cents worth of transaction probably wouldn't qualify for AML laws

Again, the point is not the size of the transaction, but the identity verification which PayPal will already have performed for all verified accounts.

...couldn't anyone register how many paypal accounts they liked way back without any checks done at paypal, they just needed a emailadress to link to each account...

As far as I'm aware, none of this is true for a verified PayPal account.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 06:14:35 PM

Our fund has now completed the process of exiting all positions, finishing with a NAV per share of 0.08838512, a change of -0.76% from our last monthly report. As previously announced, the full NAV of the fund will be distributed shortly in the form of a dividend.

Payment of the final dividend brings NAV to zero and officially marks the end of the BTC-GROWTH fund. Thank you again for the opportunity to operate the fund, even if only for a brief time.

Lol. You people should have listened to me.

somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:39:01 PM

Our fund has now completed the process of exiting all positions, finishing with a NAV per share of 0.08838512, a change of -0.76% from our last monthly report. As previously announced, the full NAV of the fund will be distributed shortly in the form of a dividend.

Payment of the final dividend brings NAV to zero and officially marks the end of the BTC-GROWTH fund. Thank you again for the opportunity to operate the fund, even if only for a brief time.

Damn too bad we didn't listen to you about Labcoin too.
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:11:47 PM

While I ordinarily try and avoid wasting my breath responding to such a widely disparaged troll, I would suggest, Ytterbium, that you should step right up if you can point to any other fund of similar size which did a better job of not losing other people's money while the broader market was cratering. Sure, it's trivially easy to 1) stay in cash and plan on zero growth or 2) run a tiny fund and make large percentage gains via little more than setting "noob traps", as I described them earlier in this thread. And of course many people who dabbled in Bitcoin equities for a few months prior to the meltdown have also allowed themselves to confuse a bull market with their own investing genius.

But like I say, if you can point to any other fund of a relevant size that did any actual investment and did a better job of not losing money while the broader market was going to hell in a handbasket, then step right up.

If not, maybe you should try a little harder to find a thread where you can make a contribution that will reflect more positively on you.

BTC Growth
Nootnewbie

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:04:31 PM

Any future plans with funds Greg or are you gonna wait till things settle a bit?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 02:18:41 AM

While I ordinarily try and avoid wasting my breath responding to such a widely disparaged troll, I would suggest, Ytterbium, that you should step right up if you can point to any other fund of similar size which did a better job of not losing other people's money while the broader market was cratering.

Hahahah, what a dumbass response.  You claimed, incorrectly obviously - that you had some sort of experience that would help you make sound investment choices.  Also the whole purpose of a hedge fund is that it's hedged, you're supposed to be prepared to make money in down markets. A) Clearly you weren't properly hedged and B) Didn't know what the fuck you were doing.

Sure, all other "funds" lost money, and that's because all of these funds were bad ideas from the start. Amateurs playing around with other people's money.

(And by the way, it's not like the money just disappeared, obviously someone made money off of these shares)

Oh, gotta love the "widely disparaged troll" line.  A few people in this thread disparaged me for criticizing this hair-brained scheme.  And then you lost 75% of their money.

jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:19:09 AM

After your rigmarole earlier you don't really have a right to say that, sorry. Also, the whole "told ya so" doesn't make you cool, especially when your predictions weren't correct.

You had grand claims that the man didn't know how to manage his fund etc... etc..., but when the going got tough he handled it as well as possible and helped people cash out as quickly and at as low a loss as possible. How this makes you right about him is beyond me.

75%? The fund was down .76% from the last months report. It started at .1, didn't it? Your math... sucks?
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:58:44 AM

...the whole purpose of a hedge fund is that it's hedged, you're supposed to be prepared to make money in down markets...

Before making a fool of yourself any further -- and wasting the time of everyone else using this thread for more constructive purposes -- perhaps you should go and educate yourself about what it actually means to be hedged.

For the benefit of other readers, I would point out that generally speaking, hedge funds tend to outperform on a relative basis during down markets and underperform on a relative basis during up markets. Outperforming during down markets does not necessarily mean making gains in absolute terms; it can mean that, obviously, but at the expense of further reducing performance during up markets. (The paradigm example of the latter is an unhedged short, which can generate gains during down markets but at the expense of unlimited losses when the market turns.)

...And then you lost 75% of their money.

Regarding the whole "making a fool of yourself" problem which you seem to have whenever you post in this thread, you're off by two orders of magnitude. As jedunnigan has already pointed out, the fund lost 0.76% during the closure procedure, not 75%. Relative to its IPO value, the fund lost a total of around 11.6% during the market chaos that wiped out several times that much from the broader market and from all but a handful of individual equities.

Contrary to your ludicrously ill-informed rant, that is the benefit of hedging.

BTC Growth
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:15:07 AM

Any future plans with funds Greg or are you gonna wait till things settle a bit?

Returning to an exchange-traded, hedge fund-style offering will have to await some clarity from the folks operating exchanges. (For a non-exchange-traded fund, I did float the idea earlier of covering KYC/AML via a transaction run through PayPal, but the impression I had was that I'd have my work cut out for me trying to articulate the rationale for using PayPal.)

In addition, part of what made the original BTC Growth fund possible was the availability of individual equity options on BTC-TC; Havelock lacks them, and BitFunder (where the options offering was even weaker than BTC-TC's anyway) appears now to be nearly dead in the water.

Having said that, the forex derivatives space still offers some very nice opportunities. It's a shame that BTC Growth had to end when it did, or participants could have benefited tremendously from our forex derivative positions as a result of the big move in BTC/USD that began just a few days later. (For example, a simple unhedged long in the December BTC/USD futures contract has returned around 65% in less than 2 weeks.)

Last but not least, I've also been running the numbers for something potentially new and different in the real estate space, but I don't have anything to announce about that just yet.

We'll see... Smiley

BTC Growth
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:11:27 AM

Dr Greg is correct about the nature of a hedge fund.

In this situation, the structure of the BTC Growth fund allowed investors to mostly survive the massive market crash that wiped out many investments. I would be surprised if anyone elses diverse portfolio did anywhere near as good as BTC Growth.

Of course the odd person that was mostly in just 1 or 2 investments may have done better but for a diverse fund I can't imagine anyone doing as well as the doctor.

Greg, I hope you return with another investment opportunity at some point.
DrGregMulhauser (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:55:35 PM

I've just posted the draft version of a document outlining a forex-focused fund which we're considering offering:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=333851.0

Questions, comments, etc. are very welcome!

BTC Growth
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  

Jump to: