Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:53:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MemoryCoin  (Read 100281 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:45:02 PM

yup someone might take the job up someday like bytecoin (see me Tongue) ahah

PLEASE Ahmed take the development of this coin.

Ahmed can't handle that, he's not a programmer / has never written any code on any coin.
Only compiled coins or copy and pasted.

Incorrect, i've done a bit of wor on bytecoin including sending out a working merged mining client. which is active on the network. Secondly i was the dev behind cloudcoin until i found out about the absurd premine.

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:49:10 PM

Why is this coin called memory coin? It should fund some kind of memoir/diary/journal project, or at least something to keep record modern history... Or something memory related. Idk.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:51:00 PM

And I just read that this is the coin for laptops and stuff. How do I start?

Balthozar

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:27:25 PM

Why is this coin called memory coin? It should fund some kind of memoir/diary/journal project, or at least something to keep record modern history... Or something memory related. Idk.

It's called Memory Coin because it uses a large amount of RAM (Memory) on your computer to hash.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:08:55 PM

It's called Memory Coin because it uses a large amount of RAM (Memory) on your computer to hash.

Wait... But it said this is the coin meant for Iphones and stuff... I'm not good with computers, but don't you need a good computer to use a lot of RAM?

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

And I just read that this is the coin for laptops and stuff. How do I start?
News to me and I've mining this coin since it started. Can you provide a link to this statement? The coin is designed to use lots of memory which should rule out current mobile devices.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:26:30 PM

MemoryCoin decentralizes currency minting. While Bitcoin minting requires the use of expensive, specialized hardware, MemoryCoins are most efficiently minted on ordinary computer hardware like PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Game Consoles and Smartphones. Anyone can download a program and start minting MemoryCoin.

http://memorycoin.org/manifesto/

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:28:35 PM

If this is true, it's the kind of coin I have been looking for.

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:37:45 PM

MemoryCoin decentralizes currency minting. While Bitcoin minting requires the use of expensive, specialized hardware, MemoryCoins are most efficiently minted on ordinary computer hardware like PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Game Consoles and Smartphones. Anyone can download a program and start minting MemoryCoin.

Later on that page "(Tablets, Game Consoles, Smartphones coming soon)" Since the developer has jumped ship, "coming soon" does not mean much.

Laptops may be at risk from overheating, they were not really designed for constant, heavy use. Get a good laptop cooler if you intend to do this.

mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:43:12 PM

Later on that page "(Tablets, Game Consoles, Smartphones coming soon)" Since the developer has jumped ship, "coming soon" does not mean much.

Laptops may be at risk from overheating, they were not really designed for constant, heavy use. Get a good laptop cooler if you intend to do this.

The fact that the 'dev' jumped ship and was unsatisfied even after having 30% of the coins (allegedly, I didn't check it myself and don't care to), shows this was bull shit.  And now this failed 'experiment' has hurt a lot of people.  Good job, Bter.com on accepting this 'experiment' and subjecting people to this nonsense (not me, fortunately).
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:12:08 PM

The fact that the 'dev' jumped ship and was unsatisfied even after having 30% of the coins (allegedly, I didn't check it myself and don't care to)

No, this was never true. There is still someone repeating this but it has no substance. I think BTCoin is the largest holder with 25000 coins (he claims to have sold his stake to another individual).  At block 8840 only 20% was enough to control the vote, so it's clear to me that no one holds even close to that. There might be half a dozen people with 10K to 20K each.

My intention was always to have a small percentage of something very big, not a big percentage of something very small. Having a small percentage meant I could not control the vote except by persuasion, and that it was easy for me to walk away when I saw the coin failing.

n.b. I bear no ill will and I'd be interested to see if it can grow without me - that would be a very positive sign for the coin - but caution there are still some mischievous individuals who still out to 'get' the coin, even though I have left.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:17:03 PM

The fact that the 'dev' jumped ship and was unsatisfied even after having 30% of the coins (allegedly, I didn't check it myself and don't care to)

No, this was never true. There is still someone repeating this but it has no substance. I think BTCoin is the largest holder with 25000 coins (he claims to have sold his stake to another individual).  At block 8840 only 20% was enough to control the vote, so it's clear to me that no one holds even close to that. There might be half a dozen people with 10K to 20K each.

My intention was always to have a small percentage of something very big, not a big percentage of something very small. Having a small percentage meant I could not control the vote except by persuasion, and that it was easy for me to walk away when I saw the coin failing.

n.b. I bear no ill will and I'd be interested to see if it can grow without me - that would be a very positive sign for the coin - but caution there are still some mischievous individuals who still out to 'get' the coin, even though I have left.

Okay, thanks for replying.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:46:43 PM

Yeah my plan was to use the MCF grant to offer bounties for various projects. However coin owners decided what they really needed was more coins for themselves, and used the grants for interest not new projects.

I'd guess current gen smartphones and tablets would see 3 to 6 hashes per second.
Consoles - maybe 2 to 4 - again an educated guess.

This is good advice. Keep an eye on your processor temps and make sure it is well ventilated and cooled.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:24:54 PM

Aww. I never read anything that said coming soon.

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 10:42:59 PM

It's in that document you gave the link to.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:51:14 PM

It's in that document you gave the link to.
\

I got it from the first post, and I only read the first paragraph and it said that the coins was perfect for what I was looking for, so I didn't read on.

maxocoin

Activity: 102
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:24:08 PM

Hi,

I'm still thinking that the way to go is keep the 5 grants but direct one to the MCF (hardcoded, without voting).
And keep an eye to imaginative outcomes of the other 4 grats....

I think that there is fun and lots of interested things  can be done with the voting system, and at the same time, I think that it is good that the MCF has "funds" for "take care" of Coin.

MC

Okay, I think it's time to call it. MemoryCoin RIP - Block 8840

I think the end may have ultimately be caused by spite rather than cupidity or even stupidy.

Might have another go at it in a month's time. I think the voting system for a single grant may be workable so long as imbalances in the coin's distribution haven't built up, and expectations of interest payments haven't become embedded.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the experiment! I certainly learned a few things, some of the disappointing, but all of them interesting.
gym520

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:03:51 PM

This coin Dead ?Why?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:32:32 PM

This coin Dead ?Why?

The coin is not dead, the main developer is bored of asking people to use the vote system.
SlyWax

Activity: 248
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:05:26 AM

Revolution pool grant processed and paid until block 8700.
Thanks for your support and patience.

Now comes a new age, and we have to determine what to do.
I have asked Bter to re-enable MEG in few days, we will see what they do.

In the mean time we need to think about the future of MemoryCoin, and start to support it ourselves since FT left for now.

I'll offer bounty to whom ever can find and correct bugs in the source code.

I'll try to correct the bugs myself if I can reproduce them.

****** So yeah this is a call for community involvement. ******

SlyWax.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: