Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:35:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 96 character privkey help will compensate  (Read 288 times)
nk007 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 11:21:32 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2018, 11:31:48 PM by nk007

Need help with old file, was going through my old btc files and found some old wallets in the format below, Im not sure how to convert the 96 character encrypted privkey to a standard privkey to import into blockchain.

Additionally I'm assuming its encrypted and requires a password which I set years ago and have no clue what it could be.

That being said,

1. can I import this 96 character encrypted privkey into any application?
2. what methods of password recovery is suggested?

Here is the format my addresses/keys are in

{
            "addr": "the-btcaddress",
            "compressed": false,
            "encrypted_privkey": "the-96hexprivatekey",
            "label": "testwallet",
            "pubkey": "the-pubkey",
            "reserve": 0
        },

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will compensate anyone that can help, thanks.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2018, 11:34:10 PM

Don't know what it is, fairly certain it's not BIP38 encrypted though.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:20:09 AM

sha384 produces: 384 bit = 48 byte = 96 hex.   good luck brute forcing that if it has good entropy.   probably easier to brute force the private key to the bitcoin address.

SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:47:32 AM

It's a wallet.dat dump, such as that created by pywallet.
It can be used to recover the wallet file, but I'd also recommend looking for the original wallet.dat.

nk007 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:15:48 AM

I might have some ideas for the password but how can I convert it so it can be imported it into a blockchain account or wallet app?
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:22:11 AM

"addr": "the-btcaddress",
before you even bother to recover or figure out how to do it,
you should just do a quick check on blockchain.info explorer to see if your "the-btcaddress" has balance

nk007 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:27:31 AM

Thirdspace, I did there is a balance or I wouldn't waste my time.
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:01:35 AM

Tools such as btcrecover (to brute-force your wallet password) support raw encrypted keys such as yours.

Do you remember what the password could be?

warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 01:51:04 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 12:22:06 AM by warningsigns

If You have absolutely no idea how or what the password is composed of, it will be extremely difficult to decrypt it. It’s time-consuming and hard enough to brute force wallet files despite knowing certain letters, numbers and symbols, the way they are positioned and transposed, how much more if the password is unknown?

Hypnosis might help you remember the password. It’s not something I totally believe in but I have a friend who swears it works.

If the wallet contains a lot of coins, then you might want to focus your time and effort in attempting to remember the password’s structure and content. At the same time, it is also important to be realistic and to expect failure in decrypting the wallet. While aiming for a successful decryption is a good goal, holding on to well-balanced expectations is a healthier option.

Good luck! You will need it.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 02:37:37 PM

I might have some ideas for the password but how can I convert it so it can be imported it into a blockchain account or wallet app?

You can use btcrecover (https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover) to generate lists of passwords which will be tried out decrypting your wallet file.
You can read more about the token file (and how to create it) here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

You will need to install python (https://www.python.org/downloads/) to run this script.
If you'll need some help installing python, feel free to ask further questions.

After decrypting your private you can simply import it into any preferred wallet (e.g. core/electrum). But be careful when doing this on your everyday-pc if you have larger amounts of BTC stored on this address.

Reefdogg

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:44:25 PM

If you figure it out let me know, because I think I am having the same problem on an encrypted bitcoin wallet.dat file.  

I have seen what appears to be a 96 character encrypted key used with current and listed receive addresses(with labels) and it was seen in the "name" pool field of a wallet.dat file (HEX editor) right after the recieve address.  I am not sure if it is a 96 character encrypted key or if one includes the preceding "0130" and one adds the following 40 characters , it is then of correct length to be a spend script???  The problem I have is how to do either case - decrypt a private key or a spend script.  Do spend scripts get encrypted?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2018, 06:21:39 AM

If you figure it out let me know, because I think I am having the same problem on an encrypted bitcoin wallet.dat file.

Did you try out what i have suggested?
Do you remember anything of your password?

If you do remember your password partially (or you have any additional information regarding your password) you might try to use btcrecover.

Any information can be helpful to gain access to your wallet back.
For example:
  • Min./max. length of your password?
  • Characters you have definetely (not) used?
  • Any common pattern you always use (e.g. '123' at the end) ?
  • Maximum amount of capital letters ?
  • Maximum amount of special characters ?

Each little piece of information you can gather does decrease the search space heavily (and therefore also reducing the time it takes to bruteforce the password).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: