Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:54:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili  (Read 73031 times)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:44:45 PM

If anyone needs boards in less then 10 days outside US contact me ASAP... If in the US contact JJ

I've bought chips from orders placed on 16-June and 18-June (not my orders, I just bought chips from the order holders.)  In theory they ought to be arriving soon, though I have not yet heard word from either.

I'm in the US.

I will of course be wanting to put them right onto boards.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Lucko (OP)

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:07:08 PM

OK so today results...

Hand-soldered board shows that there are no electrical problems. Board is hashing. But for full 16 chip board we will have to wait for next week for the assembly-factory results to get the final clearance. Methods like hand-soldering throw vias, using hot plate, 2000€ reflow oven or hot air to mount chips whit this board looks to be much harder then on Coinado prototype...

So it looks like anyone who has planed to do it by hand and dose not have hi end reflow with air below and above can forget about it... He will end up with hi numbers of destroyed chips.
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:06:40 AM

Is this first time in history of BFL that it delivered something on time?   Cheesy
So if the Avalon chips were late and could no longer ROI, the BFL chips are also...WAY....to late.
I'd encourage you to let 'em be.  

If they're happy with boards at $20/GH, then more power to them.  The bitcoins may not come flooding in by the time the boards are running, but they'll come in at some rate, and participation in the network is -or should be- its own reward.

Also, while dwdoc has received his chips, it looks like some of the group buys have shipping date around the 30th.  It's really too early to put the post-game show up yet. 

I'm always looking for new hardware.
What do you recommend for boards $10/Gh or less, shipping before the end of November?

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
JerimiahJohnson

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 02:00:43 PM

Is this first time in history of BFL that it delivered something on time?   Cheesy
So if the Avalon chips were late and could no longer ROI, the BFL chips are also...WAY....to late.
I'd encourage you to let 'em be.  

If they're happy with boards at $20/GH, then more power to them.  The bitcoins may not come flooding in by the time the boards are running, but they'll come in at some rate, and participation in the network is -or should be- its own reward.

Also, while dwdoc has received his chips, it looks like some of the group buys have shipping date around the 30th.  It's really too early to put the post-game show up yet. 

I'm always looking for new hardware.
What do you recommend for boards $10/Gh or less, shipping before the end of November?

Its all about timing, and beating the difficulty rises, My first generation Avalons paid for themselves in 5 days.

I will have the first cointamination boards that were manufactured in a factory by wednesday the 25th and will post results once they are hashing away. If you have BFL chips coming let me know we can get you in on a 5 day build time at my west coast assembly facility.
Complete cost including board, chip mounting, and cooling system is $599.99 paid in Bitcoins. This includes free express shipping.

If you have chips in hand or on the way I wouldn't wait I would get the assembly process started.

-JJ

Coming soon the Cointamination 16 65nm Chip BFL CLone Board.
Board Hashing: http://bit.ly/1cXs5Rt
gateway

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:26:37 PM

$599 is quite expensive, I reliaze you need to make a profit but not $300 worth.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:44:00 PM

Right now they're the only game in town.  Hopefully MrTeal and chriss99 will follow shortly but $240-$300 looks like it will be the going price for installing 8 chips on a board, at least initially.  Nice to see BFL shipping chips on schedule though.
Mudbankkeith

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 06:28:10 PM

Right now they're the only game in town.  Hopefully MrTeal and chriss99 will follow shortly but $240-$300 looks like it will be the going price for installing 8 chips on a board, at least initially.  Nice to see BFL shipping chips on schedule though.

$300 for 8 chip
$600 for 16 chip

The boards may be different but the parts and labour are similar prices

Unless you can buy hundreds of boards the price will not change

JerimiahJohnson

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:03:24 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2013, 10:18:03 PM by JerimiahJohnson

$599 is quite expensive, I reliaze you need to make a profit but not $300 worth.

Just to address this issue of price, I want it to be known that our profit margin is extremely slim.

From the gold trace 4 layer PCB's to the $40 top of the line fan on the cooling system we did not skimp anywhere.

Not to mention the fact these boards are assembled in the USA, and include free express usps overnight shipping.

You might be able to manufacture these boards slightly cheaper than we are but they would have to be done in another country and with cheaper parts.

for $600 your getting an extremely well made product, with a 5 day build time.

If anyone is interested in 10 or 15 day build times I may be able to lower the price a little.

Thats the only way to get the price down, either that or a huge order at one time, but as we all know time is of the essence.

These boards cost me almost $400 each assembled and that is before the cooling system parts, and the time spent to load firmware , package and ship them out. When all is said in done we are making less than $100 profit per board, we are not doing this to get rich, we are doing it to provide a solution to the community to utilize these BFL chips in the best fashion possible. I have personallly purchased hundreds of these chips and have my own stake in this.

I hope this clears some mis-conceptions up.

If someone claims they can make these boards for $200-$300 they dont know what they are talking about. Sure I can provide a cheap PCB and use the lowest priced cheap chinese parts and assembly and save some money but your units wont hash long enough to even ROI in that scenario plus you will have to wait longer to get the unit which threaten ROI even further.

For people outside North America - you will need to talk to your sales rep Lucko about his assembly plant at what they can offer you.

thanks for listening!
-JJ

btw: for the cooling system we use these heatsinks

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18193/
(one over each cluster of chips)

and this fan which is distance bolted over the whole thing:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8147/fan-500/Delta_Mega_Fast_120mm_x_38mm_Fan_-_252_CFM_-_Bare_Lead_PFB1212UHE-F00.html?tl=g36c15s562

we even put little "feet" on the boards like this:
http://de.farnell.com/hammond/1421t2/feet-stick-on-pk24/dp/1876514

Choadmeyer

Activity: 495
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 12:49:12 AM

Just to address this issue of price, I want it to be known that our profit margin is extremely slim.

From the gold trace 4 layer PCB's to the $40 top of the line fan on the cooling system we did not skimp anywhere.

Not to mention the fact these boards are assembled in the USA, and include free express usps overnight shipping.

You might be able to manufacture these boards slightly cheaper than we are but they would have to be done in another country and with cheaper parts.

for $600 your getting an extremely well made product, with a 5 day build time.

If anyone is interested in 10 or 15 day build times I may be able to lower the price a little.

Thats the only way to get the price down, either that or a huge order at one time, but as we all know time is of the essence.

These boards cost me almost $400 each assembled and that is before the cooling system parts, and the time spent to load firmware , package and ship them out. When all is said in done we are making less than $100 profit per board, we are not doing this to get rich, we are doing it to provide a solution to the community to utilize these BFL chips in the best fashion possible. I have personallly purchased hundreds of these chips and have my own stake in this.

I hope this clears some mis-conceptions up.

If someone claims they can make these boards for $200-$300 they dont know what they are talking about. Sure I can provide a cheap PCB and use the lowest priced cheap chinese parts and assembly and save some money but your units wont hash long enough to even ROI in that scenario plus you will have to wait longer to get the unit which threaten ROI even further.

For people outside North America - you will need to talk to your sales rep Lucko about his assembly plant at what they can offer you.

thanks for listening!
-JJ

JJ -

Although $600 is far from the original board estimate of ~$300 that was getting thrown around near the start of this thread (I cant even be sure you were actually the one who quoted such a price) I honestly have no issue with your pricing. Although this is a fun and exciting hobby you obviously aren't manufacturing these boards just for leisure.

My issue is that payment is only accepted in Bitcoin. I am aware there are many outlets through which one can purchase BTC, however, some people simply aren't all that comfortable doing so. Do you have any plans in the future for other payment options?

Thanks!

one4many

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 06:35:57 AM

My issue is that payment is only accepted in Bitcoin. I am aware there are many outlets through which one can purchase BTC, however, some people simply aren't all that comfortable doing so. Do you have any plans in the future for other payment options?

If you don't feel comfortable with BTC then don't invest anything into this project, or BTC at all. Buy some gold you can hide under the pillow.

How can you expect the BTC economy to get bigger, if no-one feels 'comfortable with it'?  Shocked
My advise to you is, get the BTC now, so you can send them to JJ when he is ready and your chips arrived!
You still have at least a couple of weeks lead time. Get comfortable with it!!!  Wink

one4many
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 06:37:00 AM

I was the one writing 300$ but not just 300$. I was talking 300$ to 450$... But that didn't calculate in some problems we had at the end stage... If we could make boards in hi numbers a had of time it would work but we can't(adding chips is just to hard). I was calculating that with 100 boards made at one time with lead time 14 days. And that will not happen. We will never had 1600 chips at one time I guess and lead time 14 days. So that was my mistake...
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 07:28:59 AM

I'd value the mounting of 16! chips alone at $100-200

Mudbankkeith

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 08:19:52 AM

I'd value the mounting of 16! chips alone at $100-200

Yes and when it arrives it will work, with all 16 chips hashing. Cool

JerimiahJohnson

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 12:02:24 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2013, 12:12:51 PM by JerimiahJohnson

Hello

I just want to clear a few things up here, based on some PM's I received.

One thing is I have not made any profit, or received a single bitcent from this group buy thing.

This is something I had nothing to do with what so ever.

However: If you are a North American customer, and you were involved in the group buy and received some sort of discount I will honor your coupons.

If you are not a north American Customer you will be going through lucko to buy your boards, and he is certainly welcome to charge less money for his boards if God Bless him, he can find a way to make a profit here.

Also everyone is up in arms because I guesstimated that I am making a profit of less than $100 per board which apparently to some is a staggering amount, please key in on the word "less than" and not on $100 - when all is said and done, I add in logistics, shipping costs, , the money I paid just for the rights to this design, my own time and headache  the profit is much much much less. So in reality if you count the money I have already spent on this development process it is very likely I will not make any profit at all.

The main reason I got involved at all is because I have a lot of BFL chips coming, and I wanted to support the project that I thought had the most promise.

Also I had someone suggest buying a cheaper fan. You are welcome to save some money by designing your own cooling system, however you are going to have a very hard time cooling 16 chips with anything less than a very high end fan. A cheap $5 fan is not going to work here.

These boards are being made in very small batches at a time and in the USA, this is not a cheap process,

Please also understand this includes a 5 day build time because personally I think it makes more sense to spend a little extra now and get the units hashing sooner than later. However if you want a 10 or 15 day build time I can lower the price for you.

I hope this clears everything up and I wont get any more angry PM's Tongue

-JJ

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 12:30:59 PM

Yes very nice

GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 01:02:38 PM

Agreed,  I  want this thing to work consistently. I,  as well as most others will be running these 24/7 and don't want any problems with a cheap fan or some other component. As far as someone making a profit (or not)  shouldn't really matter. Buyers need to figure  out what they are willing to pay per GH/s and if this fits then pull the trigger. For those of us in Lucko's group buy, we are buying from Lucko and he should be sending out an email soon enough letting us know the details.
JerimiahJohnson

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 01:19:01 PM

Agreed,  I  want this thing to work consistently. I,  as well as most others will be running these 24/7 and don't want any problems with a cheap fan or some other component. As far as someone making a profit (or not)  shouldn't really matter. Buyers need to figure  out what they are willing to pay per GH/s and if this fits then pull the trigger. For those of us in Lucko's group buy, we are buying from Lucko and he should be sending out an email soon enough letting us know the details.

Well most of you in Lucko's group buy will be buying from him but not all.

If you live in North America and are in Lucko's group buy, you will purchase from me, and yes I will honor your coupons and discounts you were promised. This is the agreement we have worked out.

Last time I talked to him he will be charging the same price as me, unless he gets an order for 1000 boards or something I don't think that is going to change much, but thats just my speculation.

-JJ

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 02:13:11 PM

Hello

I just want to clear a few things up here, based on some PM's I received.

One thing is I have not made any profit, or received a single bitcent from this group buy thing.

This is something I had nothing to do with what so ever.

However: If you are a North American customer, and you were involved in the group buy and received some sort of discount I will honor your coupons.

If you are not a north American Customer you will be going through lucko to buy your boards, and he is certainly welcome to charge less money for his boards if God Bless him, he can find a way to make a profit here.

Also everyone is up in arms because I guesstimated that I am making a profit of less than $100 per board which apparently to some is a staggering amount, please key in on the word "less than" and not on $100 - when all is said and done, I add in logistics, shipping costs, , the money I paid just for the rights to this design, my own time and headache  the profit is much much much less. So in reality if you count the money I have already spent on this development process it is very likely I will not make any profit at all.

The main reason I got involved at all is because I have a lot of BFL chips coming, and I wanted to support the project that I thought had the most promise.

Also I had someone suggest buying a cheaper fan. You are welcome to save some money by designing your own cooling system, however you are going to have a very hard time cooling 16 chips with anything less than a very high end fan. A cheap $5 fan is not going to work here.

These boards are being made in very small batches at a time and in the USA, this is not a cheap process,

Please also understand this includes a 5 day build time because personally I think it makes more sense to spend a little extra now and get the units hashing sooner than later. However if you want a 10 or 15 day build time I can lower the price for you.

I hope this clears everything up and I wont get any more angry PM's Tongue

-JJ

Thank you JJ.  That makes a lot of sense. We look forward to getting our boards.
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 05:44:28 PM

I have a great news!!!

form just figure out a way to handsolder chips on board. Unfortunately he run out of some parts but he should have them on Wednesday... So we will have 16 chip board soon.

Unfortunately the method can't be used on board that is already put together...
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:18:02 PM

Great news lucko  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: