Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:20:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-04 WSJ: Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin (hoax)  (Read 15476 times)
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 08:12:58 AM

I think he knows that I know what he was hoping no one else would ever know, you know?

https://twitter.com/frankieterrier

For those of you interested I will be posting a statement on thur re #bitcoin and press reports and #joelewis

you're the man Phin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 10:17:13 AM

"I'm sick of the scams and greed of asic bitcoin mining companies that are scamming customers am going to do non profit miner"

“We will bring social justice, decentralisation back to bitcoin together put bicoin back in hands of ordinary people not greedy companies”

Grin Grin

This is actually a grand long term view! After ASIC miners are built in millions of network switches and routers, each device will generate only a small amount of satoshi and there will be no single entity that can generate large amount of coins, means much higher degree of  decentralization

fex

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:31:16 PM

Sadly, FAZ, one of the biggest german newspapers had this story in it's print version today:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269150.0
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:38:35 PM

There is a clue in one of the first sentences.

"Mr. Lewis leads the Phoenix Fund, a Zurich-based private-equity fund that on Tuesday plans to invest $200 million in Avalon"

So what kind of fund manager says what he is going to buy beforehand?  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:59:38 PM

Well, more reasons to NOT trust WSJ and journalists

I am definitely surprised that the WSJ would run a story like this without a thorough fact-checking, but it sounds like that's what happened. I would have expected the reporter to at least check with multiple sources.
lol? You are joking, am i right???

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 10:08:37 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/Corrections.html

Investor Joe Lewis isn't investing in a bitcoin venture called Avalon and doesn't lead a Zurich-based private-equity fund called Phoenix Fund. A Global Finance article on Monday about the supposed investment incorrectly said both are true.

The Tracking Exchange-Traded Portfolios table in the Funds/ETFs report on Monday was inaccurate. A correct table is at http://on.wsj.com/14emv77.

Natural-gas prices are $4 per million BTUs in North America and $16 per million BTUs in Asia. A page-one article on Monday about gas projects in the U.S. and Canada erroneously dropped the word million.

Tiger Woods shot a first-round score of 66 in last week's WGC-Bridgestone Invitational golf tournament. A Sports item on Monday incorrectly said 64.

Warren Sapp entered the NFL Hall of Fame as a lineman. In some editions Monday, a Sports column on Alex Rodriguez incorrectly said linebacker.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:13:37 AM

We're in a bitcoin news lul.

Does anyone else wish they could go to sleep and wake up in September?
Vigil

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:23:21 AM

Fake Bitcoin news stories should be the norm. Just let me know before they get published.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:03:50 AM

Great! The WSJ correction still is behind a $1 pay wall? So I have to pay $1 to read that Joe Lewis will not and never planned to invest in Bitcoin? Copying the url to Facebook still gives me a great insight:

Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin
online.wsj.com
Joe Lewis, a billionaire foreign-exchange trader who teamed up with hedge-fund manager George Soros in 1992 to bet against the Bank of England, is the latest high-profile financier to throw his weight behind the virtual currency called bitcoin.
Like ·  · Share · Promote · 21 minutes ago ·

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:23:12 AM

Great! The WSJ correction still is behind a $1 pay wall? So I have to pay $1 to read that Joe Lewis will not and never planned to invest in Bitcoin? Copying the url to Facebook still gives me a great insight:

Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin
online.wsj.com
Joe Lewis, a billionaire foreign-exchange trader who teamed up with hedge-fund manager George Soros in 1992 to bet against the Bank of England, is the latest high-profile financier to throw his weight behind the virtual currency called bitcoin.
Like ·  · Share · Promote · 21 minutes ago ·

Here's an image of the actual physical copy of the WSJ article: http://i2.wp.com/www.teribuhl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/wsj-joe-lewis-story-redacted.jpg

Somehow all this stems from the first week of July of this year after Harriet ran the piece on the twins. I'm still diggin'!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:55:05 AM

Why did a seasoned reporter like Harriet Agnew who's selective about whom she follows on Twitter, opted to follow a guy named Mo Azeel (@MoAzeel) that never followed her and who posted vile tweets? The guy even used a stock image for his Twitter account.

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-indian-business-man-smiling-image2020520

From Mo's Twitter account.

One of the few people that Mo followed was Frankie Terrier who recently changed his name on Twitter to Andrew Laurus. Of the eight tweets remaining, three are exchanges with Frankie.

That WSJ article was mostly comprised of what Andre/Frankie tweeted, then deleted prior to the original article being published.

I'm still looking to see what Robin's role was in all this.

BTW, if you search Google for Mo Azeel you'll find...wait for it...only 4 results. If was only three, but some monumental asshole mentioned his name on BitcoinTalk.

Bottom line, this was contrived.

Now, I ask you this: How much influence can I bestow upon a person who has never heard of Bitcoin before if I show them a physical copy of the WSJ depicting a whale investing $200M in some Bitcoin venture?

Think about that!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 05:55:37 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 06:23:30 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I'm getting warmer! http://www.leverageacademy.com/aboutus_testimonials.php

http://www.businessinsider.com/author/leverage-academy

Leverage Academy

Leverage Academy is a global investment banking, private equity, hedge fund, and CFA training facility that has helped over 1,500 students to date secure careers in New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., Las Angeles, and Dallas as financial analysts and financial managers.  

Our instructors have collectively over 55 years of experience working on Wall Street and teach courses in English, Spanish, and Mandarin (Chinese).  Started by Bear Stearns Merchant Banking alumni, Leverage Academy and the LA Global Team provide the most current and relevant training and consulting services to undergraduate, graduate, and professional clients.

A song by Neil Diamond comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4tXMYeUIls
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:12:11 AM

No you're not, you just proved in your last post that that was a stock photo. Think about it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 05:57:00 PM

No you're not, you just proved in your last post that that was a stock photo. Think about it.

For those playing at home and need help, showing that Mo used a stock photo as his profile was my intent.

Harriet followed a guy who didn't follow her, and she did such fairly recently. When she opted to follow him, he either had a wall of shit posts or now the only 8 tweets, three of which are in conversation with Frankie Terrier.

The other thing I was trying to show is that if the stock photo was legitimately purchased for some other site, that same person could have opted to use it for his Twitter account.

I've noticed that Ytterbium has struck it up my ass a couple times now, ignoring the first times. I wonder what goes through a guys mind that he feels he needs to diss a guy who never dissed him and is only trying to help.

If an English speaking person with a poor command of said language were to come here espousing the same as I have, would you stick it up their ass because the spelling and grammar won't meet your standards?
vokain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

Now, I ask you this: How much influence can I bestow upon a person who has never heard of Bitcoin before if I show them a physical copy of the WSJ depicting a whale investing $200M in some Bitcoin venture?

Think about that!

So, in the grand scheme of things, this scheme was to drum up support for this mining outfit...or something bigger?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 11:07:01 PM

Think about that!

So, in the grand scheme of things, this scheme was to drum up support for this mining outfit...or something bigger?

Honestly, I don't know. But I do know that even with this faux pas, further awareness was brought to Bitcoin in the VC camps.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/any_press_is_good_press

Being mentioned in the media is beneficial to the subject because it gets publicity.

This phrase may be said after coverage of a scandal or a controversy.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 11:11:43 PM

Here's the latest by Robin Sidel who had her hands in publishing the Joe Lewis story.

Bitcoin = Money, Says Judge

You may not carry it in your wallet, but a federal judge in Texas has determined that bitcoin is indeed a form of money.

As a result, Judge Amos Mazzant, sitting in U.S. district court for the eastern district of Texas, says he has jurisdiction over a case involving a man who has been accused by the Securities and Exchange Commission of running a virtual currency Ponzi scheme.

The judge disagreed with contentions by Trendon T. Shavers that funds associated with his website called Bitcoin Savings and Trust shouldn’t be considered as securities because bitcoin isn’t considered to be money.

“It is clear that Bitcoin can be used as money,” the judge wrote in an opinion issued on Monday. He noted that the virtual currency can be used to buy goods and services and exchanged for traditional currencies.

“Therefore, Bitcoin is a currency or form of money and investors wishing to invest in (Bitcoin Savings and Trust) provided an investment of money,” he wrote.

The SEC last month charged Shavers, 30 years old, with raising more than $4.5 million worth of bitcoin from investors who were “falsely” promised a weekly interest rate of 7%.

Shavers couldn’t be reached for comment.
vokain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 11:38:05 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 01:01:37 AM by vokain

Bullish press, I'm okay with that even if misleading.

first link reads the same as all those news reporting Thailand banning bitcoin drama.  if you read carefully forbe's artile, you will see that court decided against Shaver's claims that BTCST did not operate in investment securities and did not fall under SEC jurisdiction, which court decided against. The Judge simply recognized Bitcoin being as a form of money which can be used in investment securities, exchanged for traditional currencies and to buy goods and services with it.  There were no official ruling on whether Bitcoin is legally defined as a currency or not.

in other thread you mentioned Liberty Dollars and that there is a bunch of laws designed specifically for currencies inclining that bitcoiners may be in trouble with this 'precedent' for making their own money. Firstly you dismiss the fact that US does not prohibit private currencies, there are few that exists and function today in the US. Secondly bitcoin does not try to compete with and look closely resembling with legal tender for which LD got in trouble; there are no single entity issuing Bitcoins and no single miner has control over bitcoin's production mechanism and clearly do not fall under any currency counterfeiting laws that protect USD.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 04:47:09 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 05:08:22 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Andrew Laurus ‏@frankieterrier                           5h[ours ago]

received today communication from #joelewis lawyers Alston & Bird LLP Atlanta / re:Phoenix fund will postpone comment until matter settled.

Quick! Somebody pass me a towel. I'm about to cum.
vokain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 05:10:11 AM

Andrew Laurus ‏@frankieterrier                           5h[ours ago]

received today communication from #joelewis lawyers Alston & Bird LLP Atlanta / re:Phoenix fund will postpone comment until matter settled.

Quick! Somebody pass me a towel. I'm about to cum.

how can you sue someone...who doesn't even really exist  Huh
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: