Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:01:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official ASICMINER Hardware Information  (Read 57748 times)
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:52:20 PM

No ,every 2016 blocks

I was just going off of 2016*10 (minutes expected per block) = 20160 minutes / 60 / 24 = 14 days

finlof

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:17:10 PM

No ,every 2016 blocks

I was just going off of 2016*10 (minutes expected per block) = 20160 minutes / 60 / 24 = 14 days

that would be only if network hash rate were to remain stagnant.  since it doesnt remain static, it changes sooner than every 14 days.
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:28:00 PM

ASICMINER hardware has from its inception been a hardly break even, or negative expectation as far as ROI.

Why would they sell them for what they could mine with them? They should just mine with them in that case. Instead, they place the price higher than what they think they can mine with them and sell them to as many suckers as possible.

And it worked... it is truly genius!

well to be fair this is not specific to asicminer,  they actually have the lowest cost right now on the market at <1btc per gh.  Look in the for sale section all those guys buying up avalon batch 2s and 3s at >1 btc per gh.  

-------
For calculators, i use the below, it is the most straight forward and accurate i can find.

1) use this to find the profitability decline in 12 months based on your own expectation:  

http://srkz.net/msc/difficultyprofitslider.html

2) then put the profitability decline number from above into this calculator to find the actual profitability, dont forget to adjust the other inputs like hardware cost and time frame (put 12 months) etc..  the numbers look very bad any way you slice it:  

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

This is truly a race to the bottom, and we are about 12 months away from it, no matter how much avalon/bfl try to cheat & lie to hold back the asic shipment, the end is coming for mining profitability for retail miners.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
sahkan

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:48:55 PM

I must agree with most of you. I have purchased the ASICMINER blades at the original price of 49.99BTC. The ASICMINERS squeezed me for every penny and I made them few thousand dollars. Never gave me a any discount even though I bought over 10. Never answered my emails. These blades are still clearly OVERPRICED at 10.25BTC, they should not be priced higher than 1-2BTC.
I am not even going to talk about their USBs...

Just a fair warning to everyone. ASICMINERS= BUY & CRY.

mechs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:09:39 PM

I must agree with most of you. I have purchased the ASICMINER blades at the original price of 49.99BTC. The ASICMINERS squeezed me for every penny and I made them few thousand dollars. Never gave me a any discount even though I bought over 10. Never answered my emails. These blades are still clearly OVERPRICED at 10.25BTC, they should not be priced higher than 1-2BTC.
I am not even going to talk about their USBs...

Just a fair warning to everyone. ASICMINERS= BUY & CRY.

At a little over 0.9 BTC per Gigahash (stock speeds), ASICMiners currently offer the best deal of any in-stock mining gear.  I am not comparing it to pre-order items but what you can buy now. Even in the after-marker auctions, avalons and BFLs are all selling for over 1.2 BTC per Gigahash - and this is used hardware with often no warranty. 

The real question is can you get a meaningful ROI at 0.9BTC per gigahash?  If not, then none of the currently available mining hardware is profitable to purchase.  Then if you want to participate in mining, you only have 2 options:
1. Pre-Order some 28nm ASIC vaporware and pray they deliver on-time
2. Buy stock in a mining equity such as Asicminer, activeminer, etc
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1819

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:12:43 PM

I hope the new blades are a bit more user friendly.

I actually thought about ordering an old blade, but decided against it because it just seems like a giant PITA to get working.

Basically, for an old blade, the user needs to:
- Hack up an ATX power supply to power the blade.
- Come up with some sort of mounting solution for the board.
- Supply your own fans.
- Connect and config via an ethernet connection.
- Run a stratum proxy on a host computer.

Basically, running at 13 GHs with an old blade seems to require a bunch of kludges.

Hopefully, with a new blade you'll be able to connect to a computer via USB, connect the blade to a power supply using a standard connector, fire up cgminer and mine away.

Am I expecting too much?  Smiley
No cgminer will not work with it.
We've never been supplied with any info about them, nor do we have the hardware, so we can not support it.

Edit: I support what I have: 1xBitBurner XX, 1xBlackArrow Lancelot, 1xIcarus (original), 1xModMinerQuad, 1xJalapeno, 2xBFL SC Singles, 1xBFL FPGA, and ... 3xAsicMiner USB - which I'll lose BTC on doing that ... at least it's only a small amount of BTC to lose (I received the first AMU that FriedCat sent out to devs, but blew another 1.1BTC on them to sort out problems with having more than 1)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:19:18 PM

but blew another 1.1BTC on them to sort out problems with having more than 1
On my machine it still doesn't work well actually, unless you upgrade to libusx. (Sorry for bug reporting that here...)
3.3.2+

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:51:30 PM

No ,every 2016 blocks

that would be only if network hash rate were to remain stagnant.  since it doesnt remain static, it changes sooner than every 14 days.

Then that makes this calculator even worse than I previously thought!  Cheesy

It only changes the difficulty every 4 weeks... lol

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=37392766.136475&dcosts=900&diff_mincrease=40&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=13500&btcusd_mincrease=0&btcusd=106&dpowcon=0&dleadtime=1&pcost=0&calcweeks=52&action=calc#

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:24:37 PM

What about the new blades? :O
info is on OP
I don't see any specifications?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:46:09 PM

Since I have no search-fu, i'll ask here. does anyone know the dimensions of the Old Blade? I'm trying to figure out how to hold the one i'm getting. I'm thinking that a mini milkcrate might work.
nomnomnom

Activity: 313

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:48:05 PM

Since I have no search-fu, i'll ask here. does anyone know the dimensions of the Old Blade? I'm trying to figure out how to hold the one i'm getting. I'm thinking that a mini milkcrate might work.

Hey, this is from yxt post, I hope this data is still up to date, maybe it helps you:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246020.msg2608792#msg2608792

Hashrate: baseline 10GHash/s, rated 10.752GHash/s, maximum 12.829GHash/s with overclocking and proper cooling
Power Consumption: 70-75W on 1.03-1.05V, 83W on 1.1V, 100W on 1.2V, 120W on 1.2V and overclocking
Hasher size: 233mm x 116mm with a 227mm x 100mm x 19mm heat sink attached to its back
Power module size: 192mm x 89mm
Ethernet controller size: 86mm x 40mm 

mechs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:26:19 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 12:59:13 AM by mechs

I just wanted to provide some math for those considering buying this hardware like I did:

I was thinking of buying 100 USB Eruptors for .32 BTC each (so 32 BTC in all).  That would require 10 hubs so assume another 2 BTC expensed there so 34 BTC on all which is now about 3400 USD.

The latest difficulty increase is in and we went from 26,160,000 to 50,810,000 in 30 days (from 7/14 to 8/13).  This is a monthly increase of 94% - completely insane.  This will probably continue for a few months and then drop precipitously once all these new 28nm ASICs come online in the first few months of 2014.  Assuming a continued 95% increase per month difficulty increases (a likely scenario for the next several months with all the new hardware coming online).  

With a USB hub, 10 usb miners plus hub consume 330W/hr.  I took my power costs in the US at 0.11 USD per kwh and plugged it in.

Not only will you lose money but at a 95% month over month difficulty increase, these miners will only produce 18.65 BTC (out of 34 BTC invested) in 24 weeks before becoming unprofitable to continue running.  A pretty big loss.

In fact, in order to EVER break even on this investment, you have to assume the month over month difficulty increase will drop down from 194% to 30% to ever break even.  A very unlikely scenario.  If you do not pay for your power (live in a dorm) then the situtation only a little less bleak.  You can break even if month over month difficulty increases drops to 35%.  Also very unlikely.

Here is where I get my #s:

Historical Difficulty increases: http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

95% month/month diff increase calculator: http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=50810339.048276&dcosts=3400&diff_mincrease=95&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=33400&btcusd_mincrease=0&btcusd=100.00&dpowcon=330&dleadtime=0&pcost=0.11&calcweeks=25&action=calc

30% month/month diff increase calculator: http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=50810339.048276&dcosts=3400&diff_mincrease=30&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=33400&btcusd_mincrease=0&btcusd=100.00&dpowcon=330&dleadtime=0&pcost=0.11&calcweeks=56&action=calc

Conclusion: Do not buy USB eruptors or the Old Blades if you wish to make a profit.  Your only hope of making money mining is to pre-order some vaporware from hashfast, cointerra, or one of the other 28nm newcomers and pray they are not a scam and can deliver on time.  It is much safer to simply buy ASICMiner stock than the hardware!

The numbers for a blade are no better.  Only will break even if difficulty goes up to only 35% month over month at stock speed.  Overclocking brings that down only a little (still over 30% difficulty to break even), since significant more power is used for cooling and overclocking (and you need to pay for a cooling unit upfront)
http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=50810339.048276&dcosts=1025&diff_mincrease=35&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=10752&btcusd_mincrease=0&btcusd=100.00&dpowcon=75&dleadtime=0&pcost=0.11&calcweeks=100&action=calc
ak49er

Activity: 672

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:37:18 AM

The latest difficulty increase is in and we went from 26,160,000 to 50,810,000 in 30 days (from 7/14 to 8/13).  This is a monthly increase of 194% - completely insane.
I would have called that a 94% monthly increase.  Which still isn't pretty.

kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:28:20 AM

LTC keeps on lookin better and better, for what it's worth...

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:15:47 AM

LTC keeps on lookin better and better, for what it's worth...

Except you can't buy anything besides bitcoin with it. LTC only looks good to those who heavily invested in GPU hardware and need to get an ROI.

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:27:03 AM

Why does that calculator only change difficulty every month?

Difficulty is adjusted every 2 weeks, isn't it?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=273264.msg2929060#msg2929060

I posted my updated results for ASIC hardware return with a network difficulty increase of 35% every 10 days.

20% increase is every 12 days.
fumble

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:34:49 AM

ASICMINER hardware has from its inception been a hardly break even, or negative expectation as far as ROI.

Why would they sell them for what they could mine with them? They should just mine with them in that case. Instead, they place the price higher than what they think they can mine with them and sell them to as many suckers as possible.

Indeed!  People look at the current calculator and say "13GH/s will net me 0.17BTC a day!  This thing will pay itself off in less than 2 months!"

And they never think to look at the difficulty increases and how that will effect them.

Yup and the problems is they (ASICMINER) have created thousands and thousands of pissed off customers that thought they were going to "print money" but got taken to the cleaners.  Trying to appease them with discounted .1 BTC USB sticks will not make up for the loss incurred.

Taking advantage of the uninformed is only a poor short term business model.  Most companies succeed on repeat business and word of mouth to survive in the long run.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:01:34 AM

Indeed!  People look at the current calculator and say "13GH/s will net me 0.17BTC a day!  This thing will pay itself off in less than 2 months!"

And they never think to look at the difficulty increases and how that will effect them.

Yup and the problems is they (ASICMINER) have created thousands and thousands of pissed off customers that thought they were going to "print money" but got taken to the cleaners.  Trying to appease them with discounted .1 BTC USB sticks will not make up for the loss incurred.

Taking advantage of the uninformed is only a poor short term business model.  Most companies succeed on repeat business and word of mouth to survive in the long run.

Err. excuse me. ASICMiner put out a product that sold out within 30 minutes. Whose fault is is that it sold out? THE PEOPLE BUYING IT.

Perhaps the USB sticks were just too sexy to resist Smiley

If you think everyone is pissed off with AM, then I guess the new blades won't sell at all .... fancy a bet on that?
g83

Activity: 448

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:07:44 AM

Put up a bet on bitbet - they will be sold out before everyone who wants to have one can place an order imo
kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:48:05 AM

Err. excuse me. ASICMiner put out a product that sold out within 30 minutes. Whose fault is is that it sold out? THE PEOPLE BUYING IT.

Perhaps the USB sticks were just too sexy to resist Smiley

If you think everyone is pissed off with AM, then I guess the new blades won't sell at all .... fancy a bet on that?
Yes indeed, most miners who buy AsicMinerUSBs either don't care about making a profit or are foolish enough to not realise that they made a loss buying them.
The ASIC era has clearly shown how bitcoin is full of fools.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: