Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:29:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC just posted pics of their case, PCB samples coming next week \o/  (Read 8197 times)
jimmy3dita

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:46:26 PM

Guys chill down, 5v is for the interface (Raspberry or any other SOC thing). In the other thread ppl received an answer about SSH access and web GUI, so probably there is a small Linux thingie between the Ethernet interface and the asics themselves.

The big part will be driven from 12 volts, with mobo and pci express connectors. It can't be anything else, there's no reason to project something with custom PSU specs without including it in the product!

Acquista il mio libro "Investire Bitcoin": clicca qui

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 05:46:50 PM

Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).

+1

Someone did not think this through.  It should have multiple banks of PCI-e 8 pin connectors, run in parallel.

And these people will deliver 28nm ASIC?
Hard to believe.

The small slot at the front is to accommodate the multiple 5V power connections from the external PSU

Whatever.  5v to supply 1000W is poor choice.  Even with PCI-e 8 pin is rated for what? 150W?  They would need 8 of these to under run their system.

End of story.  Not sure why you even try to defend this.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

Note that those (like most industrial PSUs), have screw terminal connections. Not consumer friendly.

100A at 5V is just 500W. And its input is 12V so we still have the multiple stepdown problem with efficiency.

KnCminer terms and conditions specify that they are selling a product for business, not end users. So that could justify why there is necessary a PSU not so "consumer friendly".

I will Google more to see if I can discover a 5V 100A PSU without connectors.

that would not be a sufficient excuse.  all other asic manufacturers have gone with 12V.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:08:38 PM

Anyone send an email for clarification instead of speculating on the speculation?

I'd do it myself but I'd prefer someone that is more knowledgeable about electrical engineering to write it up.

Not sure the best email but it is a relatively simple question.  Just send this (or link to the thread):

The news released today (https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-28) provides some details on the case.  Included in the update was the statement, "The small slot at the front is to accommodate the multiple 5V power connections from the external PSU".  The use of 5VDC is unusual given the power requirements of the units.  A PSU capable of high amperage at 5V is almost certainly going to be more expensive and/or less efficient than an ATX PSU capable of the same wattage at 12VDC.

Can you confirm the input voltage is indeed 5VDC?  If this is a typo can you provide a fix at the link above?
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:17:51 PM

Whatever.  5v to supply 1000W is poor choice.  Even with PCI-e 8 pin is rated for what? 150W?  They would need 8 of these to under run their system.

End of story.  Not sure why you even try to defend this.

do you mean end of your FUD?

Kepco makes them in 150 or 300 watt for 5v..   sure the amps are silly and we'd all be calling an electrician

http://www.kepcopower.com/hsf.htm

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:31:59 PM

Quote from: KnC
The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB

They changed it, apparently (didn't see the initial news).

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
DPoS

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:38:06 PM

The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB

damn it was more fun messing with people before..

to anyone new to KNC, you will find that English and running a webpage are not their strong suits.   I learned a while back to not overreact to anything they first put up on their site.

hopefully everyone will chill out, but no doubt when they post the PCBs more errors will happen, and more screaming will come!!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:44:11 PM

Thanks.  I wonder what the 5VDC input is for?  I would imagine the bulk of the load is going to be on the 12VDC rails (which make sense) so it is now just more of a curiosity.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:48:55 PM

"But it's just a box of fans!"

Pull out your quarters and get ready for a deja vu guys. Micon will be here any second...

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
kevinm

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

This is not good for my Chi... Yifu

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:55:09 PM

Its been said before but it probably needs saying again,

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:02:05 PM

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

Well ORSoC's own made Linux based equiv. of the R Pi.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:07:06 PM

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

I seriously doubt they are going to "make their own RPi."

They might buy RPi's and slap their logo on them, but I don't think they are making even a "custom" RPi for this--if so, where is the information in regards to them stating this?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:14:28 PM

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

They might buy RPi's and slap their logo on them, but I don't think they are making even a "custom" RPi for this--if so, where is the information in regards to them stating this?

Watch the video where Marcus explains die size at the Open Day.  I believe he's holding one in his hand there...

http://youtu.be/by-je8XRCdY

greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:29:32 PM

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

Watch the video where Marcus explains die size at the Open Day.  I believe he's holding one in his hand there...

http://youtu.be/by-je8XRCdY

I'll have to wait to watch it for audio as I'm in a meeting right now, but I did notice in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNPIY9L8s4

In the very first few seconds, to the left of the FPGA, is what looks to be one of the HSF's they just posted in their news article. It is promptly removed from the table shortly after the video starts [about 35 seconds in]. I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here as I'm sure they just moved it to get it out of the way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Bitcoinorama, since you are the uploader of this video, just curious--were you there at the open day?
DPoS

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:51:42 PM

I'd prefer mine to look like a trashcan, no one would ever steal it!

Grin Cheesy Grin

Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:55:51 PM

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here as I'm sure they just moved it to get it out of the way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Bitcoinorama, since you are the uploader of this video, just curious--were you there at the open day?
Of course he was.  And if that doesn't give you room for another conspiracy theory you aren't trying to start, I don't what could.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:01:08 PM

https://www.kncminer.com/userfiles/image/case3small.png

those cases will not survive shipment.

wtf is this lol.

it is ugly, not durable, looking cheap and disgusting.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...

These are also terrible cases and yet 600GH/s  Cheesy

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:04:39 PM

Exactly.  The "prettiness" of the case has to be about the stupidest complaint for any industrial device.  Personally I would be happy if any ASIC manufacturer just delivered boards.  A board in a ghetto rack hashing today is worth a LOT more than a board is some pretty backordered case which will ship in "two weeks".
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 09:06:25 PM

Wait wait wait wait wait... that's they're Jupiter cooling? ROFLMAO. Those heatsinks are rated for peak of ~140W, not 250. And they think they can exhaust 1kw of heat with 2 standard 120mm fans?

My 1x250mm 1x200mm, 5x140mm and 2x120mm case was struggling with 800-900W. I told you those thermal simulations were really, really wrong.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, KNC lives in the clouds.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:06:40 PM

those cases will not survive shipment.

wtf is this lol.

it is ugly, not durable, looking cheap and disgusting.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...

LOL,

go buy a BFL product. Decent Design but you'll never see it.

I don't thing any sane person cares what the case looks like as long as the device hashes. I'd prefer mine to look like a trashcan, no one would ever steal it!

Yet this is an example of one of the rarest and endangered butterflies on earth;

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: