Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:23:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC just posted pics of their case, PCB samples coming next week \o/  (Read 8197 times)
eve

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:55:08 AM

Yes Please Show us the Asic Chips and the rest can come later.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:00:48 AM

Is this a bot?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:01:30 AM

Is this a bot?

It sounds like one and not very inteligent too.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 01:02:08 AM

hes just trying to sound like he knows what hes talking about (which he clearly doesnt) and is obviously trolling. just ignore him.

I get what you're saying, but here's the thing.

1) If everyone who knows better ignores him, people might think he's making reasonable points that people don't have answers too

2) What if he's not trolling, and actually thinks this.  In that case, he needs to know he's wrong. Too many people go through life thinking they're smarter then they are, and believing whatever pops into their head is the truth. Telling them their wrong can help them grow as a person.

Is this a bot?

It sounds like one and not very inteligent too.

I looked at their recent posts and that's basically all they say. They also seem kind of illiterate. I don't know if that's because they don't speak English as a first language or what - they don't seem to be listening to what anyone else is saying.  Definitely ignore material.

rsbriggs

Activity: 427

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:03:04 AM

Is better to just using ignore button for Eddie.  He just being troll.
NoDisco

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:23:41 PM

Does no one else find it weird they put a (scratched) perspex windows over the FAN OUTLET!

NoDisco

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:55:44 PM

Does no one else find it weird they put a (scratched) perspex windows over the FAN OUTLET!

Are you sure the window is scratched and not the aluminium behind the window?
The part on the right fits over the part on the left, so there is no aluminium - it should be the desk we see through the part of the right.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:01:47 PM

The part on the right fits over the part on the left, so there is no aluminium - it should be the desk we see through the part of the right.

Looks to me like that's the full enclosed case, not just the top....

It is, there's two cases there. The one on the right has both parts (bottom being scratched), the one on the left is just the base by the looks of things.

NoDisco

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:05:04 PM

It is, there's two cases there. The one on the right has both parts (bottom being scratched), the one on the left is just the base by the looks of things.
So how come no light is getting into the case on the right? The lighting appears to be coming in from the right, so we should be able to see the aluminium on the bottom of the case?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:05:51 PM

So how come no light is getting into the case on the right? The lighting appears to be coming in from the right, so we should be able to see the aluminium on the bottom of the case?

Dude I'm looking at this on an iPad, I can zoom right in.

Here you go, just used an app called 'instaeditor' and played with the levels;

SirWizz

Activity: 173

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 11:39:24 PM

^ They should have one of these pillows with every order! This way we could all sleep better at night Cheesy.
fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 11:41:53 PM

Found a pillow replica of the case
Except the PSU wires will be strung through the mouth, so it will look like it's throwing up a rainbow.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:06:06 AM

^^ I believe if you look to the top of his head he has an antennae to the onboard GPS soo many have been asking for! Grin

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 12:27:07 AM

This 120mm fan does 74CFM @ 1300RPM.   It's $9. And actually it's the exact same fan used in the heatsink, as a separate product. Here's another fan from another company 1500RPM, 71CFM, $12 and this one is 1400 RPM and 74CFM, for $11.50.

Seriously dude, WTF are you talking about? You're obviously wrong and clearly don't know that much about fans and heatsinks, as these specs are clearly possible and readily available.

Each one is about $40 on Newegg, btw - so that's $160 on cooling if you bought them retail. plus the main case fans.   And even if the specs were off, it wouldn't matter as they're actually overpowered for the expected thermal output.
Yes, I am aware what fan it is.... If I said my car does 350mph, would you believe me? No, its a number on paper. When you look at the benchmarks or test them yourselves, they just don't perform up to the advertised specs.

Have a look at a table of proper fans. http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans There is no reason why the dirt cheap would outperform the considered flagship 120mm parts, unless the specs are just overstated. Overstated specs -> almost no one will ever be able to say otherwise, and hey who would listen to them when you can buy these holy grail fans for so cheap?

Let me show you another way. This is a review/test of the heatsink by X-bit.
Methodology: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/arctic-freezer-i30_4.html#sect0

Look at the picture of the test, we can see that at the screenshot the TDP was 27W. If we extrapolate to find the peak, its ~6.5x higher = 175W. Note that wasn't a 100% load in the sense that it was only at 175W for roughly 75% of the time. http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/coolers/arctic-freezer-i30/zfullscr_big.png *not embedded because its massive*

If you then look at the cooling performance at this 75% 175W: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/arctic-freezer-i30_5.html#sect1 Room temp was 24C. At max fan speed the chip was still reaching 79C.

So lets recap:
Test was 175W for 75% of the time.
Ambient was 24C, which is fair.
Fan speed was max, which is fair for testing the max cooling capacity.

However the chip still reached 79C. We want 250W 100% of the time for KNC, and 320W 100% of time for the reported specs to be true. The rating specs are asking for more than double the actual tested heat output, so there is absolutely no way that heatsink is going to get away with 320W.

Oh, and I'm assuming you're aware that where those case fans are mounted is either the intake or the fan is mounted the wrong way.

plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 01:09:04 AM

P.S 250w for one chip is just the worst case scenario.

So I'm sure they'll be fine with the HSF they selected.
eve

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 07:27:00 AM

What's the point of showing us the case when you don't have the chips. Is like showing us the egg without the chicken. You cannot have an egg without the chicken laying/produce an egg. Show us the Chip Please.
J35st3r

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 08:10:31 AM

What's the point of showing us the case when you don't have the chips. Is like showing us the egg without the chicken. You cannot have an egg without the chicken laying/produce an egg. Show us the Chip Please.

Darwin might have something to say about that. But why am I talking to a bot anyway? (HMMM, evolution in software, perhaps I'm contributing to the advancement of our AI overlords ...)

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 08:22:31 AM

Have a look at a table of proper fans. http://www.quietpc.com/120mmfans There is no reason why the dirt cheap would outperform the considered flagship 120mm parts,

If you believe that you're a sucker. People sell overpriced stuff all the time. You're also not taking noise level into account, more expensive fans may be optimized for lower sound levels, rather then more air flow.

The only way you would have any relevant experience is if you'd actually fried CPUs.  Simply buying expensive heatsinks and thinking you needed too doesn't mean you know what the minimum actually is.

If you then look at the cooling performance at this 75% 175W: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/arctic-freezer-i30_5.html#sect1 Room temp was 24C. At max fan speed the chip was still reaching 79C.

I don't see 175W anywhere on that page. The chip was massively overclocked and running at 1.385V, way out of spec.  Who knows how much power it was drawing.

And any event, the higher the temperature difference the more energy can be removed. Cooling power at 90C higher then cooling power at 79C.

Oh, and I'm assuming you're aware that where those case fans are mounted is either the intake or the fan is mounted the wrong way.

Then... it's probably the intake? That's how Avalons are setup as well, airflow from front to back.

Anyway, what exactly is your argument?  You think KnC doesn't know what it's doing because they're using fans that cost a few dollars less then other fans? They don't need to buy the best fan possible, they only need one that gets the specific job done. And likely, the chips will put out way less then 250W anyway.

You keep hammering these points over and over again, but even if you're right it doesn't prove that KnC's chips won't ship.  It makes no sense.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 11:43:11 AM

Nice to see you totally ignored how I proved TDP in that test was 175W 75% of the time.

It doesn't particularly work that way in heatsinks, that cooling power is higher at 90C. The limit of heatsinks is the immediate transfer of energy from the base plate to the cooling fins, where THEN the cooling is increased. Heatpipes max out pretty quickly, and the chip temps just rocket after the limit.

This choice of heatsinks along with their dodgy/failed thermal simulations which they never properly answered after 3-4 pages are suggesting they either are getting it very wrong @ 250W, or they really don't believe it will be >200W and aren't catering for >200W at all.

As I've also said before, the need for them to be getting things right is blinding people from seeing logic set out line by line.

Had to edit just to add this quote, its too precious:

You keep hammering these points over and over again, but even if you're right it doesn't prove that KnC's chips won't ship.  It makes no sense.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:48:56 AM

But Eve, did the chicken really come before the egg?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: