Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:30:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: {BFL} Why The Monarch Might Just Work  (Read 5988 times)
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 03:50:13 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 05:18:03 PM by Vorksholk

At this time, there's an extreme amount of hatred towards BFL, orders that were ordered a year ago still have not arrived, etc.

I'm going to play the other end of story. I converted an order I had into a Monarch, perhaps a bit reluctantly.

Right now, they are in the tapeout process, so they are making some good progress.

The important point, however, is that this device has a few key differences from their previous product production runs. First, a large supply issue for BFL this round was the power supplies. This card doesn't need a power supply, and instead relies on a user-supplied PSU. They already have drivers made, and will likely only need to tweak their existing software to support the new architecture. They have more production employees right now than they ever had before, and they've worked through the kinks of ASIC production before, and at least have a bit of knowledge going into this second round that they were lacking when they were going into the first round.

If you have an order from 2013, it may make sense for you to upgrade. By the time those devices arrive, they may be fairly useless. Assuming a 50% growth rate per month until the end of the year, if you receive your 60GH/s ASIC in early October, it's very likely that, especially for the devices you paid $2,500 for, you will never see that money fully returned by the device. The monarch is still a wildcard, and in the event that it goes correctly, converting your current order to a Monarch, especially if you don't have to pay much extra money to cover the bridge, will likely be beneficial. However, if the monarch is late, and all the other ASIC companies like KnCMiner, HashFast, xCrowd(.co.uk), Bitfury, etc. deliver on time and in spec, then the monarch will be essentially useless.

I'm not saying to buy one, but if they actually do ship by the end of the year, you heard it here first. If they don't, just quietly forget this thread. Tongue

Edit: Not a sock puppet. I don't love BFL. I simply see it as my best option at this point, and think they might be capable of meeting my expectations. Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 03:51:55 PM

How can you believe a word they say, after everything? Stockholm?

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:53:18 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishful_thinking
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:55:39 PM

How can you believe a word they say, after everything? Stockholm?

I agree with the TL;DR consensus from the other threads.
The only people I see going for this are people who are locked in with their non-ROI 2012 and 2013 orders hoping to move up the line (like this poor soul OP).
Which is exactly what BFL intends... clear up the backlog... get them off the old backlog onto the new back log and by some time (possibly).
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:58:01 PM

beat me, beat me, please.
erschiessen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

It will work in keeping wishful BFL customers from filing complaints.

It will work in bringing in lots of BTC.

It will work to make them rich as they skip the country once Sonny's parole ends in a month.

Dumb fuckers here are actually dumber than the elderly dupes that Sonny fucked to earn the only thing that he has earned in his life... a felony conviction (via guilty plea).

I find it difficult to believe.

BFL didn't rake enough suckers with chips to run for the border... so they 'created' 28nm technology that up until a couple of weeks ago said was IMPOSSIBLE.

They have not only made the impossible possible in Two WeeksTM - they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

And there are dumb fuckers that are dumb enough to fall for it?

Sock-puppets, the only explanation.

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
cypherdoc
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:12:34 PM

they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

yeah, i noticed the pic of a gpu-like looking card.  what is that all about?
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:14:52 PM

they will package the impossible into a PCI/e GPU styled and sized device.

yeah, i noticed the pic of a gpu-like looking card.  what is that all about?
Alien technology.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:16:51 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 04:38:40 PM by Bitcoinorama

I believe Butterfly Labs have stepped back and looked at where most of their original income (and associated vocal discontent) has come from;

Miners that gave up their rigs and possibly still mine their cards on Alt-coins.

They have the infrastructure in place w.r.t. the rigs themseleves.

They feel, and quite rightly have been the most hard done by, largely as they paid in Bitcoins, thus have lost  out on equivalent fiat value due to subsequent market activity. Their risk admittedly, but the time involved was significant, and never meant to reach March, let alone September. Likewise they've had no means of consumer protection by that chosen payment method, so are effectively locked in by their payment choice for a pre-order, unlike others who are gradually realising they can't be held hostage despite BFL's demands.

The answer is to match the leading competitors promise and offer a means that incorporates the equipment they have to hand. Equipment that everyone owns, and is widely distributed and is nostalgic to the community.

However with BFL's track record of cooling issues, and under performance, my gut instinct is that these will be problems revisited, or the performance specs will have to be drastically reduced to compensate.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:25:21 PM

There is no way it will release on time and in that form factor.
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 04:34:34 PM

I think most April 2013 and later orders (the ones that have to pay the 10% extra) will kick the can forward to this new "vapor" device, with the chance of being one of the first to get the the next gen product they will at least have some remote possibility of seeing ROI . Their card looks like a Radeon reference design photoshop; I wonder what kind of involvement AMD has in the project.
felente

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:35:47 PM

Yes.

I believe Butterfly Labs have stepped back and looked at where most of their original income (and associated vocal discontent) has come from;
Miners that gave up their rigs and possibly still mine their cards on Alt-coins.
They have the infrastructure in place w.r.t. the rigs themseleves.
Yes.

I do not know simply. I mean it.
You sure?

only thing i say - that's VERY smart move and i'm glad this is projected at least.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:40:05 PM

Their card looks like a Radeon reference design photoshop; I wonder what kind of involvement AMD has in the project.

Other than having their design borrowed, exactly 0% chance AMD has anything to do with this at all.
xzempt

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:44:26 PM

this will never happen.....  unless they buy someone elses chip.....  Shocked
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

You know what else might just work ? Holding onto two live electrical wires whilst jumping into a vat of acid, hoping to acquire super-powers.

Or you could take a chance on this product.

Either choice is liable to cause you pain and suffering.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 04:50:33 PM

You know what else might just work ? Holding onto two live electrical wires whilst jumping into a vat of acid, hoping to acquire super-powers.

Or you could take a chance on this product.

Either choice is liable to cause you pain and suffering.

At least with one of the choices, sex is involved.
felente

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:55:23 PM

well, design is not borrowed especially from amd. nvidia has similar designs too.

first - this is simply right design to build such things in general;
second - this is a publication of an idea an not production-look - design details will change 100%;
third - THIS seems to me the WAY TO GO regarding mining equipment in the perspective, IMHO.

in any case i'm very interested how this concept will continue.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:57:16 PM

At this time, there's an extreme amount of hatred towards BFL, orders that were ordered a year ago still have not arrived, etc.

I'm going to play the other end of story. I converted an order I had into a Monarch, perhaps a bit reluctantly.

Right now, they are in the tapeout process, so they are making some good progress.

The important point, however, is that this device has a few key differences from their previous product production runs. First, a large supply issue for BFL this round was the power supplies. This card doesn't need a power supply, and instead relies on a user-supplied PSU. They already have drivers made, and will likely only need to tweak their existing software to support the new architecture. They have more production employees right now than they ever had before, and they've worked through the kinks of ASIC production before, and at least have a bit of knowledge going into this second round that they were lacking when they were going into the first round.

If you have an order from 2013, it may make sense for you to upgrade. By the time those devices arrive, they may be fairly useless. Assuming a 50% growth rate per month until the end of the year, if you receive your 60GH/s ASIC in early October, it's very likely that, especially for the devices you paid $2,500 for, you will never see that money fully returned by the device. The monarch is still a wildcard, and in the event that it goes correctly, converting your current order to a Monarch, especially if you don't have to pay much extra money to cover the bridge, will likely be beneficial. However, if the monarch is late, and all the other ASIC companies like KnCMiner, HashFast, xCrowd(.co.uk), Bitfury, etc. deliver on time and in spec, then the monarch will be essentially useless.

I'm not saying to buy one, but if they actually do ship by the end of the year, you heard it here first. If they don't, just quietly forget this thread. Tongue

Why don't you just get a refund?

PSA:
If you have ordered from ButterFly Labs and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
First ask ButterFly Labs for a refund, they will probably say no but you might get lucky.
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. One customer has already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via Bitcoin or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC and they will advocate for you with ButterFly Labs to get your refund. You can also contact the office of the Kansas Attorney General and inform them that you have had your money taken with no product delivered for months, just more promises from BFL.

There are also several threads on how to get a refund from ButterFly Labs, here are two:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266945.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=272585.0

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:57:20 PM

You sure?

only thing i say - that's VERY smart move and i'm glad this is projected at least.

No, of course I don't know "for sure". I'm just looking at their track record. They always over promise and under deliver. Not once have they come even close to their power estimations.

EDIT: I do want to note that I think they make excellent hardware despite everything else. It is just frustrating that they can be so off from their pre-order estimates.
AsicShill

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 05:01:31 PM

You sure?

No, of course I don't know "for sure". I'm just looking at their track record. They always over promise and under deliver. Not once have they come even close to their power estimations.

Hey maybe they will end up giving you 6 PCI cards each generating 100GH if they miss. 
Hope you have lots of spare chassis and lots of high capacity power supplies (assuming they are able to produce at all --- magic 8-ball is looking pretty negative).  To twist an  "investing" phrase - past failures is no guarantee for future success   Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: