Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:08:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mildly unimpressed with both MtGox and TradeHill  (Read 4211 times)
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:30:30 AM

Sorry I just feel real hostility towards the speculators, its not what bitcoin was designed for.

So you think...if I knew how to code well enough to design my own currency in such a way that I would be the #1 profiteer, I would do it, and it would look like Bitcoin.  Just like if I owned the NBA or NFL, I would want my games rigged, such that a team like the Saints would win the superbowl after some natural disaster, and the NBA's most hated team would lose in the 7th finals game to a bunch of old white guys.

That is a difficult post to understand. but I think you are saying that anything that doesn't have wild gambling driven speculation is rigged? You are going to have to explain that one.

You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:48:47 AM

Sorry I just feel real hostility towards the speculators, its not what bitcoin was designed for.

So you think...if I knew how to code well enough to design my own currency in such a way that I would be the #1 profiteer, I would do it, and it would look like Bitcoin.  Just like if I owned the NBA or NFL, I would want my games rigged, such that a team like the Saints would win the superbowl after some natural disaster, and the NBA's most hated team would lose in the 7th finals game to a bunch of old white guys.

That is a difficult post to understand. but I think you are saying that anything that doesn't have wild gambling driven speculation is rigged? You are going to have to explain that one.

Bitcoin is purported as a better solution than traditional, centralized currency.  I agree with this.  But that doesn't mean 'Satoshi' didn't also do it to make a quick buck.  Even if he's sincere in his motive, its still a fantastic way to make a quick buck while simultaneously doing something he believes is ethical.  Much the same reason I'm a social work/psych major.  But if I didn't get paid anything, I wouldn't be a social work/psych major; it just happens to be an ethical field in which I can make a lot of money.  Rigging NBA and NFL games is another way to make a buck, and, if done right, would actually add excitement for the fans (rigging a series to go to 7 games rather than ending in 4 or 5).  I also mine/exchange bitcoins to make a buck.  The opportunity is there, and the cost for said opportunity is low (and risk is equally low if you're in the habit of day trading).

I'm just talking about opportunity-cost.  The opportunity was there for Satoshi to utilize his skills to make a buck.  Whether or not that was his intention, I don't know.  But I do know that I would do it to make a buck (or million) in an instant.  And that's why I have a bid for 200 coins at .02 USD.  I want to make a quick buck too.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: