Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:18:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to leave Altcoin in Exchange  (Read 1161 times)
tigerk6 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:21:47 AM

Hi,

I want to earn interest on my coins (BTC,ETH,LTC) therefore I prefer to leave these in Exchange for funding purpose, however I have No plan to sell or exchange with other coin in near future.

I always keep my withdrawal blocked by changing password every 5th day.

Is it 100% safe to keep crypto's in exchange like Bitfinex or others with withdrawal locked ?

mariayaz

Activity: 294
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:27:50 AM

I doubt that. I transferred my Doge in HITBTC from anotherr exchange and after a day there were no balance in HITBTC. Its too risky with exchange

✦✦✦✦✦  ☸ SECURE - FAST - FAIR ☸  ✦✦✦✦✦   (https://www.bitgame.com/?trackCode=BITCOINTALK)
STIKS1911

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:34:15 AM

If you are constantly engaged in trading within a day, then there is no choice. It is necessary to store altcoins on the exchange. But if you keep coins for a long time, then this is completely insecure! Example-exchange btc-e. It is better to store coins on a hardware wallet.

kopdul

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:36:40 AM

Hi,

I want to earn interest on my coins (BTC,ETH,LTC) therefore I prefer to leave these in Exchange for funding purpose, however I have No plan to sell or exchange with other coin in near future.

Is it 100% safe to keep crypto's in exchange like Bitfinex or others with withdrawal locked ?

Don't put your all funds in exchange, because you don't know what happened to your fund if exchanger have some problems. I was get goxxed by Mt.Gox back in 2014 when I trust this exchange so much and enjoy doing trade there. I put all bitcoin fund there and nothing come back until now.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:38:46 AM

Hi,

This is one of the most ridiculous decision you want to make because no matter the reputation of the exchange site you are leaving the coins, they are still susceptible to attacks which is something you should prepare yourself for. I am not sure the exchange site that add interest on your balances but if you want to keep long term as you have said, its best you just use a desktop wallet or offline wallet and save yourself the stress of having to change password every five days which does not matter if your the exchange becomes vulnerable.
andthereyou

Activity: 616
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:39:08 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2018, 07:39:17 AM by andthereyou

It is not safe. What if the exchange is hacked? Your fund will surely be stolen. There were many cases where popular crypto exchanges were hacked or a crime was commited by inside job in the past. I'm sure the interest are too small compared to your fund so think carefully.
JohnMacZeppelin

Activity: 602
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:44:53 AM

I do not think that this is a good idea, because at any time this exchange can close or do something like Bittrex, do something to withdraw funds, so I would not do so and if there is an opportunity to better just take my money and leave it on a few years
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:49:14 AM

If you are planning to keep your assets  for long time then exchanges are not an option for people like you but if you are a day-trader then probably the  security steps you are doing would be helpful for security of your coins. For long term holding, it is better to choose a safe wallet like binance or just buy a hardware wallet and move your coins to one of these safest places
Memenya

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:50:43 AM

Hi,

Well, i think its safe to store all of your coin in exchange but in the top exchanger not in unreputable exchanger.
But if you want to store without trading i think better you store it in hard wallet because its more safe.
tigerk6 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:53:11 AM

But Exchange like Bitfinex they pay about 1.5% a month on your coin, I have earned BTC, LTC, ETH by funding on exchange.

Keeping on offline won't increase my coin ...

Amalker

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:53:32 AM

If you not  a daily trader, the best way to keep your altcoins on your own private wallet. Any exchange might disappeared in one moment with all your funds.
jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 05:55:54 AM

Crypto 101 - NEVER leave your crypto in exchanges, because if you do not control the private keys of your wallet, you don't have access to your funds. They are not yours (ownership = private keys), they are owned by the exchange (under your name, but only they have access to them). If the exchange gets hacked, or shuts down by themselves or even by the government, you may lose access to your funds. You should control them.
kaloloy

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:57:04 AM

Sometimes not because wallet account on Cryptocurrency exchanges are just temporary but still could hold your coins while they are up and stable but if you have Bitcoin and other huge amount of coins that has huge value then it's better to withdraw them into your safe wallet to Avoid trouble in the future.
linkybit

Activity: 560
Merit: 107

Keep Working

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:57:20 AM

For long-term holding never store coins in exchanges they are not safe, for daily trading you have to store coins in exchanges.

|██████| | ██████SECURE AND LICENSED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE██████ |██████| |
| INVECH |
WHITEPAPER | ANN THREAD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | MEDIUM | INVECH |
|██████| | ███████JOIN INVECH INITIAL EXCHANGE OFFERING NOW!████████ |██████| |
Visin

Activity: 436

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:57:38 AM

If you not  a daily trader, the best way to keep your altcoins on your own private wallet. Any exchange might disappeared in one moment with all your funds.
It would have to depend on the amount of coins that is going to be just sitting on an exchange. Is there money that is cashed somewhere just in case things don't go the way you want? If you have enough money to put money on an exchange then that should be all that you need. Worrying will not help.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
zxc003

Activity: 93

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:59:51 AM

Mt. Gox
Cryptsy
btc-e

Yeah, right... is absolutly safe to keep coins in exchange Grin
Lazada

Activity: 686

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:07:48 AM

It would have to depend on the amount of coins that is going to be just sitting on an exchange. Is there money that is cashed somewhere just in case things don't go the way you want? If you have enough money to put money on an exchange then that should be all that you need. Worrying will not help.
If we all want to safely store Altcoin then the official Altcoin wallet is a top choice. But for a trader it can not be avoided, a trader must be able to make decisions appropriately and quickly so that the funds in the exchange is a necessity. So the most important point is that we are trading on a reliable exchange, one of the exchangers that has a good level of security and trust is Bittrex. I've done a lot of deals there and I feel comfort is the point that I feel most.
limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:08:03 AM

I also often leave alt in exchange, but only temporarily and for a few days. For a long time, then it is too risky if we leave it there, because we do not know what will happen in the future.
michael shikany

Activity: 196

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:08:40 AM

In general, you don't need to change the password frequently, so long as you set Google secondary authentication and a more complex password, don't use a public VPN, there will be no big problems.
Unless there is a massive theft on the exchange.

AVAMONEY

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:10:58 AM

Since you're planning it for long-term investment, I would not recommended it. It's better you saving it on coinomi wallet mobile or using ledger.
Exchanges are usually using for doing trading, means you need to be active checking your account often. For notes, there are many bad experiences in past when exchanges got being hacked or compromised, so you can't access your account on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: