Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:05:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to leave Altcoin in Exchange  (Read 1156 times)
dumbtool45

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:43:08 PM

I was convinced on my bitter experience that the exchange can not be a reliable storage place for crypto currency, even top-end exchanges are burned and we saw it
Daddyj2

Activity: 532
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:46:20 PM

It's better to store your coins on a hard wallet like trezor or paper wallet. All coins have their own wallet just check their site.

"Hard work puts you where luck can find you."
shone08

Activity: 602
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:47:44 PM

Hi,

I want to earn interest on my coins (BTC,ETH,LTC) therefore I prefer to leave these in Exchange for funding purpose, however I have No plan to sell or exchange with other coin in near future.

I always keep my withdrawal blocked by changing password every 5th day.

Is it 100% safe to keep crypto's in exchange like Bitfinex or others with withdrawal locked ?

It is not 100% safe or secure to leave your altcoin in any exchange site because most exchange site like bitfinex or others have their own issues if the trade site closed your altcoin will be loose try to practice to in & out your altcoin this is not a right place to store your altcoin try to use ledger nano.
iamMhew

Activity: 688
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:55:13 PM

Exchange sites is not a wallet for you to stored/stocked your coins for a long run. i suggest you to transfer it onto their designated wallet so they cant lost any moment. because if the site you stored coins got problem in the future, im sure you will cry hard if this happened and you wont like to happen this to you. even the exchange site is legit one, you cant assure that your coins is at a very safest place.
Bytem3

Activity: 602
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:59:42 PM

If your often trading than you don't have much choice. If if you plan on holding better move it to a secure offline wallet such as Trezor or Nano Ledger S.

Best way to LONG/SHORT Bitcoin. Up to 66x leverage. Register on BitMax now!
ruskytailz02

Activity: 289
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:03:50 PM

I leave my ELTCOIN AND CTX token in ether delta and its been 8 months and its stays in exchange>
nothing to be afraid of hehe but it is safe to go for cold storage . safety is the security just dont live your coins a year or 2 maybe it coul be good to go
hehe. happy earning pal
niisarearning

Activity: 910
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:10:38 PM

It’s is always risky to keep alt coins in exchanges we never know when this exchanges will be compromised .Like recently etherdelta compromised so take the profit out of exchanges as soon as possible.
faceoff97

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:41:37 PM

Hi,

I want to earn interest on my coins (BTC,ETH,LTC) therefore I prefer to leave these in Exchange for funding purpose, however I have No plan to sell or exchange with other coin in near future.

Is it 100% safe to keep crypto's in exchange like Bitfinex or others with withdrawal locked ?

Basically, exchange is not really meant to be a storage of coin. Its actually made to literally to exchange, it would be risky to hold coin in an exchange. To be sure and secure, better to have it on your personal wallet then just have a certain amount every time you want to do exchange. An exchange has the possibility to fail on its system, its not design to really hold coin in a long period of time.

Butj there were exchanges that may allow you to really put your fund, juat be sure that you are in a kegit exchange that has credibility to the large number of investors and holder.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 01:47:29 PM

If you have 2FA enabled, and are changing your password every 5 days, I would say it is safe.

Remember, your coins are never stored in a wallet or exchange per say, they are always on the blockchain.
Your addresses are just access points to move things around and your seed allows you to use that access point.
So when your coins are on an exchange, it is just a wallet/address that is actually on the blockchain, and the interface to use that wallet/address is displayed on the exchanges website.

The reason why people say that it is not safe to leave coins on an exchange, is that the website itself could get hacked and hackers can access addresses and seeds and accounts, which would allow them to withdraw your funds.
But if you have 2FA enabled, it basically becomes near impossible to steal your funds as withdrawals have to be confirmed by your phone, or email, or whatever you set up.

With that being said, I see no benefit in keeping coins on an exchange if you don't plan to trade.
You mentioned interest, but I don't know of any exchange that gives you interest for the coins you mentioned.
There are some that give you "interest" but those are specifically for the exchanges coins, like kucoin shares.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:52:48 PM

Hi,

It is not 100% safe, there have been many exchanges that have lost funds and have had to shutdown and not all the users got ther money back, if you trade often then you need to keep your coins in the exchange in order to trade, as you have said you are not looking to trade so the best thing you can do for these 3 coins especially you will be able to find a secure local wallet and then keep your coins in your wallet until the time comes that you want to sell and need to send to an exchange.

The coins you keep on an exchange should be protected by switching on 2FA to give the extra layer to possible hacks.
Fatunad

Activity: 2254
Merit: 354

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:55:27 PM

Hi,

This things been asked for how many times and people do always say or do remind that its never wise to leave out our coins on idle on exchanges because risk of losing it would really be there and since you do mention that you are not making any tradings and tend to hold i up for long term since you dont have plans to sell it then its more wise on storing it on wallets which do support it and you do have the keys of such wallets.Its much more safer on this side than on storing them on places where you dont have the possesion of your keys on such wallets.
alkhie01

Activity: 378
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:01:53 PM

I'm also a holder of a coins that just leaving it in an exchange but sometimes it also make me worried because maybe the exchange will close.So the only thing i'm doing is monitoring the update of each exchanges so if ever that they have an announcement i will know then can do with my coins inside.If you are a daily trader its fine leaving it there cause in the other day you will need it again.
Long Distance

Activity: 51
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 02:02:42 PM

my experience is still safe. but take a look at his exchanger. whether they have a good or bad reputation.

for example etherdelta is just a fool who holds a coin there.

my advice, if you just want to hold  it anyway better use a personal wallet
luffy7

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:04:34 PM

Its safe only if you hold the private key. Get a hardware wallet.
terzy

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:09:39 PM

Major cryptocurrency exchanges are relatively secure ways to store your bitcoin  and altcoins but it’s typically not advised for larger amounts. The major exchanges are essentially big money targets for hackers who are constantly developing new ways to steal bitcoin from people. It is better to store coins on a hardware wallet.
martin1221

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:14:04 PM

If you are in a day trading mate, its actually there in exchanges because you are selling and buying for a short time,but if you are holding it for some years just ho to your main wallet and not on exchanges. Whatever the strong security you have there if the exchanges will disappear immediately? Your coins will also did.
syaripudin

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:15:45 PM

this is too high risk because you are posting a snippet in a wallet that is not using hardware unless you do a daily trading activity this would be safer. because I think the thing you do is very vulnerable to hackers that anytime it will happen. I'm only suggesting to you that it's better to transfer your crypto assets to a wallet of personal hardware or wallet that would be safer. I think it would be safer to keep your crypto assets for a longer period of time.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org|  
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
coin5haker

Activity: 350
Merit: 16

~bitcoin enthusiast~

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 02:23:49 PM

Bitstamp is compromised. Reddit and similar full of FUD about this exchange. First, it starts with support asking more and more questions. Try to get everything out of that exchange ASAP. I think it is not exchange owners but some fu**cking cheating employees trying to steal from you. One of a name Tomaz if I recall it correctly.

Mankey001

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:26:10 PM

Not safe at all since there had been a history of Bitfinex being hacked. I think you might consider putting all your earning in your wallet and just leaving out the amount you would use for trading.
sarojan9980

Activity: 118

My Identity Coin

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:33:29 PM

no it is not safe to keep it for a long time it is stolen by hackers. better use secured one binance or buy the hardware wallet it is better way to keep your altcoins Safe.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: